Join with others to discuss God and/or the Biblical Doctrine of the Trinity (Godhead). Discuss the attributes and characteristics of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Like Father, Like Son: UNRAVELING THE PROTO-TRINITARIAN APPROACH OF 2 CLEMENT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Father, Like Son: UNRAVELING THE PROTO-TRINITARIAN APPROACH OF 2 CLEMENT

I. Introduction Second Clement is not generally considered to be a work of theological profundity. In the words of J. B. Lightfoot, 2 Clement “as a literary work is almost worthless” and the author is “confused in thought and slipshod in expression.”1 Another has opined that “its thought is feeble, its theology peculiar.”2 Nevertheless, in this article I will attempt to decipher the rationale underlying some of the apparently convoluted statements the author makes. Moreover, I will suggest that 2 Clement provides a window into one way that some second-century Christians can be plotted on an exegetical and interpretive trajectory that led later to full-flowered Trinitarian formulations. To this end, I will focus on the relationship of Jesus to his Father in 2 Clement, particularly in the way the author transposes traditional formulations referring to God the Father (especially as we find them today in the NT) and applies them to Jesus.3 This stems from the author’s high Christology,4 and although the author of....
    Attached Files
Working...
X
Articles - News - SiteMap