Presbyterianism, whose bodies are also called Reformed Churches, share a common origin in the 16th-century Swiss Reformation and the teachings of John Calvin, and today is one of the largest Christian denominations in Protestantism.

Another Denomination falls to sins of Omission.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Denomination falls to sins of Omission.

The PCA will now be allowing women in church leadership.

PCA Goes Back to Where It Started: Women’s Ordination | News & Reporting | Christianity Today

This is rather ironic as this was a main reason they split from the PCUSA 40 years ago.

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
    The PCA will now be allowing women in church leadership.

PCA Goes Back to Where It Started: Women’s Ordination | News & Reporting | Christianity Today

This is rather ironic as this was a main reason they split from the PCUSA 40 years ago.
    Wish I could say that this is unbelievable.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Wish I could say that this is unbelievable, but from I have seen, the PCA has allowed Arminian and Dispensationlist Pastors. Not to mention I have ran into various members of the PCA that are quite liberal. With women pastors this is the beginning of a very slippery slope... .

My only concern is that the OPC may recruit Pastors from the PCA, which seems to be happening in cases when there is a shortage of OPC Pastors.

God bless,
      William
      Quite possibly, also, as the article points out, there are people leaving the PCUSA because they allow gay pastors, and are joining the PCA.
      Comment>

Quite possibly, also, as the article points out, there are people leaving the PCUSA because they allow gay pastors, and are joining the PCA.
        Makes sense. Same thing happen(ed) to the Republican party.

We had a Pastor step down, and I know our church began looking into the PCA for a replacement Pastor, because there is a shortage of OPC Pastors. I am just curious whether this will change the interviewing or screening process.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

What will be interesting to see in the coming weeks/months is how many churches that are currently members of this denomination will ultimately start leaving and possibly join the OPC or other conservative denominations. We could certainly use the increase in membership, as long as they don't bring any liberal doctrines with them.
          Comment>

What will be interesting to see in the coming weeks/months is how many churches that are currently members of this denomination will ultimately start leaving and possibly join the OPC or other conservative denominations. We could certainly use the increase in membership, as long as they don't bring any liberal doctrines with them.
            Wonder if the screening process can be more stringent towards new members coming from the PCA? Though, I would think that any exodus from the PCA to the OPC would be conservative in theology.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Wonder if the screening process can be more stringent towards new members coming from the PCA? Though, I would think that any exodus from the PCA to the OPC would be conservative in theology.

God bless,
              William
              I doubt it. The session of our church always sits down with any potential members to get a feel for what they believe and where they are doctrinally. And if you are referring to possible pastors coming over, the current vetting process is already pretty stringent.
              Comment>

Praying here for orthodoxy to prevail!
                Comment>

This is no where close to being a done deal from what I can see. They haven't even formed the "committee" to look into the issue yet. See the excerpt below from the article:

One of the reasons that the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) left the Presbyterian Church in the United States 40 years ago was because the new denomination opposed women in church leadership.

Last week, the PCA General Assembly
                  voted to form a committee to take up the issue again. The seven-person committee will look at the biblical basis and theology of ordination and of the office of deacon, then report back to the General Assembly any changes to consider.

In the meantime, PCA churches are encouraged to promote the participation of women “in appropriate ministries.” The denomination currently does not appoint female members as elders or deacons.

I was in the PCUSA for years (until I just couldn't take it anymore :rolleyes:) and many things that were broached at the General Assembly never saw the light of day, PTL (well, back then anyways).

Personally, I agree with the denomination I am presently a part of (Evangelical Free) and do not have a problem with female deacons, as long the role of deacons is not the same as "elders" (we do not allow female elders or pastors in the EFCA).

--David
                  Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                  Comment>

Quite honestly if they are truly looking at the biblical basis and theology of ordination the review should be extremely short. A truly biblical perspective will always arrive at the conclusion that women should not be deacons, elders, or pastors. Period. End of story. No more need for discussion.

The only time this comes up is when there is a shortage of Godly men to step up and fill these offices.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap