Do You Believe in Pre-Existence of the Soul?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Believe in Pre-Existence of the Soul?

There are Christian denominations which believe in the pre-existence of the soul, either as eternal or created at some point of time in heaven prior to human birth. There are some indicators in the Bible of pre-existence; that some or all of the souls of man pre-dated their earthly existence (Jeremiah 1:5 in particular). So, do you believe in pre-existence or that life began with the human birth?

Jeremiah 1:5 seems to answer the question. Context is essential. Perhaps someone has that?
    Comment>

Jeremiah 1:5 could simply be in the mind of God, not because his soul pre-existed.

Consider the creation of Adam. First he was molded clay, then the breath of life came into him, then he became a living soul. Personally, I think our souls begin their existence at the moment of conception. The woman's egg is the "clay" while the man's sperm contains "the breath of life". When united the soul of the children is the fruit of that union. I also believe this is why Jesus had the virgin birth. The "breath of life" became broken in Adam so the passing of that breath of life through the sperm also passed the sin nature. But since the woman's egg is simply the "soil" of human tissue when the Spirit came upon Mary the "breath of life" was pure and holy for the birth of Christ. Monthly ovulation has no loss of human life since human life is contained in the sperm. If my thinking is right, this adds another reason why male masturbation is wrong: potential human life is discarded.

But, this is merely my speculation. I would not defend these thoughts as doctrines. I simply toss them out for food for thought.
      Comment>

Yeah, the other side of the context is that God knew him because he knows all and knew he was creating a prophet. I just wanted to throw this out there as well as food for thought since the Bible does state for certain, one way or the other.
        Comment>

The article below asserts that life begins here on Earth and there is no pre-existence of the soul. A number of Bible verses are used to support the claim:

Did we exist with God before we were born on earth? | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry
          Comment>

Forgive me if I go off topic, but I had a conversation with a brother who believes that there is a multi-verse. Multi-verse is part of String Theory. Because we have the ability to weigh the universe mathematically, 90% of the weight is unaccounted for. String Theory comes from quantum mechanics which shows at the sub atomic level the macro laws of physics do not apply. Since modern science rejects both God and the spirit world, they have come up with the idea of multiple universes. Metaphorically they use a loaf of bread to represent the universe and each version of it is like a slice. This idea is extremely popular in science fiction shows such as Star Trek as well as comic book stories like Flash on TV. For a believer to accept this as true without qualifying that this is just a theory was surprising to me. God and a spiritual dimension to creation could easily be the answer to the mathematical weight of the universe. However, I did concede to the brother that in the mind of God He knows all possible outcomes of every choice that can be made by all people and all people that could be born to make those choices. So, in a multi-verse could exist simply in God's mind, but not necessarily in reality.
            Comment>

There are many places in the Bible where God says he knew us before we were born; I have never found one which says we knew God. The fact that God knew us shows his omniscience and the fact that he isn't in time as we are; it doesn't prove that we existed before we were born.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Originally posted by ADofTX View Post
                Forgive me if I go off topic, but I had a conversation with a brother who believes that there is a multi-verse. Multi-verse is part of String Theory. Because we have the ability to weigh the universe mathematically, 90% of the weight is unaccounted for. String Theory comes from quantum mechanics which shows at the sub atomic level the macro laws of physics do not apply. Since modern science rejects both God and the spirit world, they have come up with the idea of multiple universes. Metaphorically they use a loaf of bread to represent the universe and each version of it is like a slice. This idea is extremely popular in science fiction shows such as Star Trek as well as comic book stories like Flash on TV. For a believer to accept this as true without qualifying that this is just a theory was surprising to me. God and a spiritual dimension to creation could easily be the answer to the mathematical weight of the universe. However, I did concede to the brother that in the mind of God He knows all possible outcomes of every choice that can be made by all people and all people that could be born to make those choices. So, in a multi-verse could exist simply in God's mind, but not necessarily in reality.
                Yeah, I am familiar with that. I think there is no evidence for a multiverse. It is a creation of atheist scientists. We live in a fine-tuned super-symmetrical universe which started from a Big Bang. Plus, DNA is so highly specified and complex, creation is proven. There are also molecular machines. The videos below describe this well:

If there is a multiverse, it may be an infinite number of New Jerusalems in heaven.
                Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                  There are many places in the Bible where God says he knew us before we were born; I have never found one which says we knew God. The fact that God knew us shows his omniscience and the fact that he isn't in time as we are; it doesn't prove that we existed before we were born.
                  That's a really good point. There seems to be a bit more evidence that we did not pre-exist based on Bible Scripture.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by CDF47 View Post

If there is a multiverse, it may be an infinite number of New Jerusalems in heaven.
                    And an infinite number of incarnations, deaths and resurrections of Christ. But what does the Scripture say?

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many;
                    Comment>

And an infinite number of incarnations, deaths and resurrections of Christ. But what does the Scripture say?

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many;
                      Yeah, I don't believe there is a multiverse at all. I was just saying if there is one, it is just a layer of or universe of heaven, not of this world where Christ offered to bear our sins.
                      Comment>

Yeah, I don't believe there is a multiverse at all. I was just saying if there is one, it is just a layer of or universe of heaven, not of this world where Christ offered to bear our sins.
                        I know, I was giving a supporting verse.
                        Comment>

I know, I was giving a supporting verse.
                          That was a good verse to use as support.
                          Last edited by CDF47; 08-13-2017, 02:19 PM.
                          Comment>

There are Christian denominations which believe in the pre-existence of the soul, either as eternal or created at some point of time in heaven prior to human birth.
                            Hi CDF47, I'm well aware of our Mormon friends beliefs in this regard (they believe we are all from everlasting, just like God is), but I'm unaware of any Christian churches/denominations that hold to pre-existence. To which churches and/or denominations do you refer?

Thanks!

Yours and His,
                            David

Matthew 5
                            16 Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 7
                            12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

1 Corinthians 13
                            1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

1 Peter 3
                            15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee View Post

Hi CDF47, I'm well aware of our Mormon friends beliefs in this regard (they believe we are all from everlasting, just like God is), but I'm unaware of any Christian churches/denominations that hold to pre-existence. To which churches and/or denominations do you refer?

Thanks!

Yours and His,
                              David
                              I was mainly referring to the Mormons but also just the thought if there was any pre-existence for humans. As angels are created in Heaven, were some or all humans created at some point there as well, is what I was asking. Just some thoughts I've had in the past but I do not believe Scripture supports this.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap