Searching for real faith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for real faith

For the longest time I have called myself a Christian. I am finding it harder and harder to think I am a Christian because in reality, I believe in God but am not so sure of my belief that Jesus is real. I've been told by others all I can do is pray and read the Bible. I can't call myself a Christian if I have doubts about whether or not Jesus is real. So, where does this leave me?

Originally posted by K4GAP View Post
    For the longest time I have called myself a Christian. I am finding it harder and harder to think I am a Christian because in reality, I believe in God but am not so sure of my belief that Jesus is real. I've been told by others all I can do is pray and read the Bible. I can't call myself a Christian if I have doubts about whether or not Jesus is real. So, where does this leave me?
    You know my friend, feeling is the great essence of christ.

Faith is not only words on a page. The power of prayer will lead even the most lost christian into a feeling that will never leave them. You can help this feeling return but it's not going to be given to you. You have to put yourself out there even if it makes you feel a tad bit uncomfortable. Meaning, what you have to do is believe in what you cannot see. If you are willing to do that, then I promise God is willing to show you on your path to finding him.

And you can call yourself a Christian if you have any doubts. Sometimes it takes doubt to obtain a stronger belief. We have to doubt things before we can believe them. But with the holy spirit alive in you, there should be no doubts. Do not feel bad or guilty because you have doubts. It doesn't mean you do not have the holy spirit. What it means is god needs to be alive in you. Put forth the effort to search and he will come knocking.

Do what every man/woman does when they want to know something. Search for it. But this time search with prayer.
    Comment>

Hello and Welcome to the Forum K4!

I agree with others that suggest you pray. If for any reason you decide not to pray, pray to God to that reason away. Look at Psalm 13 for an example. David had felt extreme emotion and expressed sincere doubt as to whether God had abandoned him. What did David do?
      1 How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
      How long will you hide your face from me?
      2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
      and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
      How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

3 Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
      light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
      4 lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”
      lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.

5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
      my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
      6 I will sing to the Lord,
      because he has dealt bountifully with me.

And I agree with Cloud on the point that all Christians deal with doubt. It helps to identify the types of doubt (emotional, knowledge, and volitional). Here's a great article helping to identify doubt: How should Christians deal with doubt?

K4, if you don't mind me asking, are you doubting the historicity of Jesus? Or are you doubting the resurrection and ascension of Jesus?

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

You must first understand that humans are first and foremost emotional creatures. Our society tells us every day that Jesus isn't real. That constant chant from society will drive you, if you let it, into falling into their line. Nearly everything we believe is based on emotion, not reason. So, understand that your doubt comes from emotion, not reason. Further, doubt the mudhole of fools. I mean, you can never get over any kind of doubt by wrestling with that doubt. In the end, doubt will defeat you, because you're emotional. You can't get over anything through obsession, you will only eventually surrender to it.

But, how could Jesus be God and the son of God at the same time, or whatever questions you have that you can't answer? You think issues of reason drive your doubt, but you're wrong. Do you think it's reasonable that you should have all the answers, else something is false? How about you get answers for everything from non-Christians? What created the Big Bang come from? How could the universe expand? Where did the laws of physics come from that caused the universe to go from disorder to order? How are we self-aware? Don't say God did it, unless you're willing to accept the same answer about Christianity. If you're a creature of reason, then meditate on the problems of whatever alternative to Christianity that you would accept if you put aside Christ. Isn't int reasonable to weigh both sides?

The way to get rid of doubts is to choose not to doubt. I have no doubt, I just accept that I don't have all the answers. If you could tell me, without appeal to God or pure speculation, what created the Big Bang, then I'll put aside my belief in God. It's not a matter of wrestling with doubt. It's a matter of you giving me a working alternative, at the most fundamental level. Atheists don't wrestle with doubt even though they can't support their own beliefs.

Also, explain to me why the Apostles all gave their lives for something they would have known is a lie? Where else in history have a group of people ever lived lives of persecution and death for something they knew was a lie? It's not as if they trusted what someone else told the. It's as if they they were direct witnesses to the Resurrection. Joseph Smith was armed with a gun and died trying to escape from a jail. Jim Jones was a Communist and a homosexual who committed suicide to avoid a lifetime in prison. Both Smith and Jones used their false teachings for power, money, and women (and boys for Jones).

Comment>

My friend, doubt is a tool of the enemy, think back to all those times God was there for you and holding you close, He will never leave you or forsake you but Satan will whisper in your ear things like "God doesn't care about you" and so on but you cant listen to that.

I have been there and do still struggle with doubt, but not about Christ being who He claimed but of my own salvation and I fear I may have been condemned though I know better so I know where you are and the one thing I can tell you is DON'T listen to your feelings or emotions because they can be fooled but Gods word and coming to the throne in prayer will never mislead you, God still loves you and He desperately wants you to know it, look God chose you, me and all of us and knew ALL of our ways long before the foundation of the Earth was ever laid, and He still chose us, to me that's big because I feel like the worst sinner of all.

Always remember the battlefield for the soul is in the mind, you must guard your heart and mind, Satan has been attacking and harassing believers for 6000 years so hes very good at it and you will not defeat him alone.

Also in closing, I would like for you to look into C.S. Lewis, Simon Greenleaf, and Charles Spurgeon, they have helped strengthen my faith in the past, Simon Greenleaf lived in the 1800s, and he founded Harvard, one day while he was still NOT a Christian he was asked to put Christ, the cross, AND the resurrection to the test under scrutiny to see if it could be proven as in a court of law (beyond a reasonable doubt),, he dug through hundreds of documented accounts and his conclusion was that Christ, the cross, and the resurrection were accurate as written in the gospels, and this was before the dead sea scrolls were found and found to be as accurate as the KJB.
          Testimony of the Evangelists by Simon Greenleaf

Comment>

If you don't mind my asking, I'd like to ask: Do you doubt the existence of God or whether Jesus is the true God? These are two questions, and in both of them there is the truth for us to seek. First, you should find the root of your problem, and then you can suit the medicine to the illness.
            Last edited by Honest; 10-27-2015, 04:48 AM.
            Comment>

I just checked K4GAP's profile and found that his last activity of this forum was the day he made his post.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

As a doubting Thomas, I guess you need to take time out from religion to find yourself. Being a Christian before and now doubting Jesus who is the Christ means you are obvioulsy in doubt and no amount of convincing can take away your doubt. And pardon me if I ask, what is it about Jesus that you doubt? He is called the Son of God because of his virtue that he didn't commit any sin when he was a man. And maybe for that alone he was called the Christ who saved the world from sure destruction. And as theophilus above has said, the creator of this thread may have left us.
                Comment>

Hello K4GAP, you may want to read more about the Historicity of Jesus:

"There is "near universal consensus" among biblical scholars that Jesus existed historically, although they differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the gospels. While scholars have criticized Jesus scholarship for religious bias and lack of methodological soundness, with very few exceptions, such critics generally do support the historicity of Jesus, and reject the Christ myth theory that Jesus never existed."
                  - Historicity of Jesus - Wikipedia

I think your doubts will be alleviated once you know more and realize the truth of Jesus' historicity. There is a rather strong case for it :)
                  Comment>

I know this post is old, but I'm sure others read it with the same questions.

If you have doubts about Jesus, I would suggest you pray directly to him. Ask him to enter your heart, enter your life, invite him in, speak to Him directly.

"No one comes to the Father except through me."

"Knock, and it shall be opened to you."

Talk to him about your doubts, he will understand. You can learn about him historically, but He wants you to learn about him spiritually. You can only do that through prayer, prayer to Him.
                    Comment>

I've always been of the mindset that I don't believe something until I witness it myself.
                      I have to admit, I've never asked Jesus to 'appear' or called on him.

Do you ask in through your thoughts or is there something you say as an invite?

Thank you for getting me thinking about this Marie
                      Comment>

I think a lot of people confuse themselves when it comes to belief, and its no wonder because even in Catholic schools we are taught about God, Jesus and the bible, and then in the next class science, and about how seeing os believing and we can only trust what we see with our own eyes and can prove.

That's quite a contradiction and especially for a child that's growing up and being taught supposedly in a Christian way.
                        Comment>

pwarbi you're totally right there.
                          And in some ways, I do think both ways should always exist.

We can use science side of things to question, observe and theorise.
                          We can use the religious side as an exercise of faith.

OK they may conflict sometimes but it will serve to make one or the other stronger which is good
                          Comment>

True faith is to worship and trust God in the way that a little child would respond to its parents, and ideally that is where the analogy should end (but sadly it doesn’t).

In the ‘natural’ realm the growth from childhood to maturity passes through the later phase of “knowing better that one’s parents” until, by the end of one’s days, one attains a degree of hard earned wisdom. All of which is but a part of the circle of ‘natural’ life, which includes watching one’s own children making all the same mistakes which could have been avoided had they remained in their initial state of parental trust.

In the ‘spiritual’ realm the ‘child of God’ also grows away from the simple childlike trust “without which one cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven” and soon enters the phase of ‘seeking knowledge’, as a result of being encouraged to do so by other ‘children of God’ who teach that as being an essential ‘biblical’ duty.

This particular ‘child of God’ has, at the age of 81, gone ‘full circle’, ditched the assumption of ‘knowledge’, and has now reverted to simply trusting God with a childlike faith and worshipping him accordingly. All of which is but a part of the circle of ‘spiritual’ life which includes watching one’s fellow ‘children of God’ making the same journey, which occasionally ends in the same way as mine, but more often ends in the bigoted insularity of total denominational entrapment.

But God is sovereign, has watched it all happening ad infinitum, and will bring it all to resolution when we each see Christ face to face, when what we consider to have been ‘knowledge’ “shall have passed away”, and when our “knowing” will finally be that of doing so“even as we are known”.
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap