Another Sin...........Perhaps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sin...........Perhaps?

I belong to a couple of Bible oriented discussion groups, this being one, and have some interest in a couple of secular groups as well. There are a few that I just go and look at them to see what they are up to.....yeah, nosy I guess.
    What I have noticed in the more secular groups is that there is more interest lately in the hot topics, particularly in the "religion" boards.

One question keeps cropping up which at first made me laugh a little but now I think it might be a good thread to start here just to see what the feedback might be.
    Mind ya'll, I absolutely do have an answer for the question written below, but again, it's just one of those questions that sort of bothers me in that it bothers so many others.

The question: Is it a sin if a Christian does not go to church? Easy huh? I'll give my own answer at a later time.

Have fun and may the Lord our God Bless You Mightily!!!! Bobby

Originally posted by Bobby Cole View Post
    The question: Is it a sin if a Christian does not go to church? Easy huh? I'll give my own answer at a later time.
    How are we to know that anybody is a Christian if they do not love one another John 13:35? Bobby Cole, I love you, but I do not want to fellowship with you, commune with you, or talk to you.

Betcha, ya are wondering what kind of love is this?

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Only on Christmas and Easter ... ask any of the 'submarine Christians' who only surface for those two 'Holy Days of Obligation'. ;)

Seriously, missing a day at Church is not a sin.
      Never attending any Church as a regular habit indicates one is not part of the body of Christ (which is technically, not a sin in and of itself, but rather a symptom of something far worse).
      Comment>

Originally posted by Bobby Cole View Post
        The question: Is it a sin if a Christian does not go to church?
        It would depend on why he doesn't go to church. Some Christians live in places where there simply aren't any Bible believing churches for them to attend. Here in the United States we take it for granted that any believer who wants to attend church can find a church to attend. There are parts of the world where this isn't true.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

How are we to know that anybody is a Christian if they do not love one another John 13:35? Bobby Cole, I love you, but I do not want to fellowship with you, commune with you, or talk to you.

God bless,
          William
          Point well taken. At a stretch, it's similar to saying, "Lord, do please close your eyes and guard your ears because I am going into the bar to find some "company" for the night. Love you and I'll talk to you tomorrow."

Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
            It would depend on why he doesn't go to church. Some Christians live in places where there simply aren't any Bible believing churches for them to attend. Here in the United States we take it for granted that any believer who wants to attend church can find a church to attend. There are parts of the world where this isn't true.
            Good point! There are numerous times when we forget that God is the ultimate judge and certainly knows the heart of His children.

Comment>

Trey Gowdy gave a pin drop speech at Liberty University. Made me think.... too many feel justified when rejecting others. Take a peek at this short video and consider what Gowdy suggests for a moment: Trey Gowdy - Pin Drop Speech -Christforums

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

Firstly, as to the "pin drop" speech; when I hear or read something I like I generally walk away with a totally different take on things and this time I have been hit with at least a half dozen messages I plan on giving in the future. I'll get back to you guys at a later date on some of my findings.

Now, to the topic. It's been about 3 days since the thread was posted so it's time I gave my own rendition of the subject at hand.

Earlier in the year I posted a relationship between Rom. 8:28 and a recipe for "biscuits" and so it is this time with the topic.
                There are two major ways of baking a pan of biscuits:
                1. Place the cut out's in the pan and leave about a half inch between the raw biscuits.
                2. Place the cut out's in the pan and bunch them together.
                Note first, there is no real wrong with either technique and both are used commercially and in homes world wide but let's focus on the end product.

If we examine the finished biscuits that were given a little space on the pan, we find them an almost similar leavening both vertically and horizontally. The finished products are now touching each other and when you pick one up, no matter which way you look there is a crust. When one opens a biscuit we find a nice product and fairly compact.
                Now, the dough that was bunched together has no horizontal movement but an extreme vertical rise as compared to the spaced ones. When we pull one out, with the exception of those directly touching the sides of the pan, there is no crust on the sides and when we open it up the finished biscuit is fluffier than it's counterpart and will absorb much more butter than the other.

The same it is for Christians. Those going to church and those who do not are still Christians just like both kinds of biscuits are still biscuits.
                But here's the difference: One Christian does not rise as much and tends to have a little crust or hardness around the edges of his faith and the center is more compact which will not allow much room for the "butter" or Holy Spirit to do His work.
                The other rises more, is softer around the edges, and absorbs everything the Holy Spirit has to give making this Christian a much more desirable and learned individual. Hmmmm......I wonder which is which? No brainer.

Isn't cooking fun? God Bless.........Bobby
                Comment>

Darn, now I am hungry for biscuits. :)
                  Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                    Darn, now I am hungry for biscuits. :)
                    Ah yes, another opportunity for a good conversation with the Lord. Thanks for my hunger, thanks for feeding my hunger, and thanks for giving me peace and warmth after my hunger is fed. Yeah, and then there's the biscuit thing too. Thanks for the material food I am about to receive..........

God Bless............Bobby
                    Comment>

Bobby Cole
                      I just wanted to let you know that I shared your post on the two ways to bake biscuits with a group of people on Thursday. They loved it. One had me send them a link to this site so they could read it again for themselves (I was very clear that it was your thoughts I was reading out loud).
                      Comment>

Bobby Cole
                        I just wanted to let you know that I shared your post on the two ways to bake biscuits with a group of people on Thursday. They loved it. One had me send them a link to this site so they could read it again for themselves (I was very clear that it was your thoughts I was reading out loud).
                        My dear brother in Christ, there was really no need to make the analogy my thoughts. When it came to me I was actually making about 200 biscuits for a banquet and at the time I was fighting with myself for a message regarding congregational attendance. Always looking to God for guidance, it came to me and I have been relaying that message for about 30 years now. So, I guess you could say that they might just be God's thoughts and I was the one He told so I could pass it on to everyone else. They are now......your thoughts as well.

God Bless.........Bobby

Comment>

Oh well thank you to atpollard for introducing me to a new term. Our pastor always calls them the CEO's of church....Christmas, Easter and other special occasions. I was pretty satisfied with that one, but I have to say that I like the submarine Christians. Both work to describe those people though, and we all know them...the ones that you see twice a year. As for the question that you asked, I would have to say that it would not be a sin as long as you are worshiping in some other fashion maybe. I happen to love church though, so I never miss it.
                          Comment>

Only on Christmas and Easter ... ask any of the 'submarine Christians' who only surface for those two 'Holy Days of Obligation'. ;)

Seriously, missing a day at Church is not a sin.
                            Never attending any Church as a regular habit indicates one is not part of the body of Christ (which is technically, not a sin in and of itself, but rather a symptom of something far worse).
                            As the couple told the pastor as they were leaving the church, "everytime we come here the Poinsettias and the Lillies are so pretty"!
                            I have been known to call them the "flower children".

Going to church to celebrate the birth and the resurrection of Jesus Christ is certainly a great thing. But, I do believe that Jesus had a few things to say in between those dates that we really need to hear.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

God bless,
                              William
                              I don't remember reading anywhere that you have to go to church. Sometimes, I feel closer to God when I'm alone praying in front of my bible. One of my family friends, listen to a pastor on the radio for hours instead of going to church. I think if you spend your time studying the bible or God, then it's okay to miss church. But if you're skipping church to watch a game ore go golfing then that's a problem. Though that has more to do the mindset and where you are spiritually than being physically in a church.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap