Fear that I committed blasphemy of the holy ghost. guilty and worried

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear that I committed blasphemy of the holy ghost. guilty and worried

Before I accepted Christ as my lord and savior I was so skeptical about Jesus. I was wondering how he could be the messiah. and I was so skeptical that I thought that Jesus was the devil in disguise. Now I've accepted him a year ago and I don't believe that anymore. but I still feel worried and I couldn't believe that I accused Jesus of being the devil and I feel really worried. Am I forgiven for such a claim?

If you can obey Jesus' commands, then you can know that you are forgiven.
    Comment>

Paul the apostle killed people for believing in Jesus and he was saved and was the greatest apostle. None of us is saved by our own will, as all of us have a free will that is at enmity against God. Our free will ends at salvation when God takes over with His irresistible grace and saves those who are predestined to be saved from the foundation of the world. Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is unbelief. That is the one unforgivable sin. Read Ephesians 2:8-10. Jesus said we could even blaspheme Him, but to blaspheme the Holt Spirit is unforgivable. That, as I said, is unbelief. You said you believe. This would not be possible if you blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Trusting you are honest with yourself and us, you have been saved by grace through faith, which comes from the Father, not from ourselves. Read also John 3:15-20. I'll be glad to help any way I can, but if you feel guilty and worried, you believe, and if you believe, you are saved. :) It's the self-righteous who ought to worry. :mad: And of course, follow Jesus and obey His commandments to build up your treasures in Heaven. Disobedience, even to believers, has its consequences, but we cannot lose our salvation.
      Comment>

Originally posted by HeavenlyDragon View Post
        Before I accepted Christ as my lord and savior I was so skeptical about Jesus. I was wondering how he could be the messiah. and I was so skeptical that I thought that Jesus was the devil in disguise. Now I've accepted him a year ago and I don't believe that anymore. but I still feel worried and I couldn't believe that I accused Jesus of being the devil and I feel really worried. Am I forgiven for such a claim?
        Hi HeavenlyDragon,

Some years ago when I began exploring Christianity, I took a rather dark and dismal path. I began by reading Gnostic "gospels" outside our Bible. Some of these literary works actually convey such things as you have elaborated on, and can make you question Jesus. While Gnostics call Jesus Lord, they question not only Him but his motive etc at every turn. I am unaware of whether you have been subjected to Gnostic literature, but if so there is a difference between hearing or listening to a heretical view and embracing and promoting such a view. If anything, your conscience seems violated, that may cause you to pause and tread carefully to not further damage your relationship with God, and if these things have led you to the softening of your heart, resulting in receptiveness and obedience, prayer, and repentance, then I would consider myself forgiven. Remember, having faith is confidence in God, and not in ourselves, but the object of our faith, which is Christ Jesus that sustains us.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

This thread hasn't been posted to in a couple months, but if I may add something to the discussion. One cannot commit the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit without knowing exactly what they are doing. If you are wondering if you've committed it, you haven't. :)
          Comment>

I think many people before they accept Christ is critical of Him; I certainly was...luckily I accepted Him and I know He has forgiven my past transgressions - after all, Jesus died for our sins.
            Before I accepted Christ I had very strong thoughts on God and religion, however I have been guided onto the righteous path.
            I do fall off of this path onto the dark path now and again but God pulls me back - isn't it wonderful that He will not give up on us?
            Comment>

Originally posted by thereselittleflower View Post
              This thread hasn't been posted to in a couple months, but if I may add something to the discussion. One cannot commit the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit without knowing exactly what they are doing. If you are wondering if you've committed it, you haven't. :)
              I would like to disagree with you
              The whole thing is about deception
              Nobody willfully (in their right mind) goes against God - though it be a god of their imagination.
              Case in point are the Pharisees.
              Comment>

Originally posted by 2404 View Post
                I would like to disagree with you
                The whole thing is about deception
                Nobody willfully (in their right mind) goes against God - though it be a god of their imagination.
                Case in point are the Pharisees.
                Good point!

But a Pharisee that had committed the unforgivable sin of hardening his heart to the point where he declared good is evil and evil is good, would not be concerned that he had committed the unpardonable sin ... he would be supremely confident in his false righteousness.

I once had a conversation with a therapist (at a dinner party) who offered that anyone who was worried that they might have schizophrenia, didn't have it because schizophrenics never think that they are crazy.
                Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                  Good point!

But a Pharisee that had committed the unforgivable sin of hardening his heart to the point where he declared good is evil and evil is good, would not be concerned that he had committed the unpardonable sin ... he would be supremely confident in his false righteousness.

I once had a conversation with a therapist (at a dinner party) who offered that anyone who was worried that they might have schizophrenia, didn't have it because schizophrenics never think that they are crazy.
                  Thank you
                  I would like to ask you three questions.
                  Hardening of the heart is that strickly an intellectual process?
                  What do you understand to be the relationship between the intellectual and the spiritual?
                  Can a person afflicted with schizophrenia still be a child of God?
                  Comment>

Can a person afflicted with schizophrenia still be a child of God?
                    Let's go for the easiest first ... probably, but I have no idea. Fortunately for me, in the words of Corrie Ten Boon "God does as He pleases, and He does it right well." So far, to my relief, God has not consulted with me on what he may or may not do. I have met many wolves with very woolly coats, and a few wolves that cleaned up to become sheep. So I think the answer is probably 'YES'. I have a mentor who says the 'walk' is surrendering everything you know of you, to everything you know of God; tomorrow, you will know a little more about you and a little more about God and have to do it all over again.

Like the Parable of the Talents, the man who has little is expected to respond in faithfulness with what he has. Why could the Holy Spirit not enable him to do that?

Ephesians 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

Hardening of the heart is that strictly an intellectual process?
                    No. I think that it actually starts deeper. I would say that we are born with a hard heart to some extent. Like a cancer of stone, the heart resists those influences that would draw it to good (and God) and is drawn to the sparkle of sin like a moth to a flame. It is an irresistible pull, that we have no urge to resist. I want, I take, I quench the voices within until I can hear them no more. This innate pull strokes our intellect, like scratching the ears of a dog, to encourage and reward us for building intellectual fortresses to justify what was already living (or rotting) deeper inside of us.

Then there is a tipping point, when that which dwells deepest within me revolts. When the intellect rejects the truth as even a possibility. When the world owns me in a way that all pretense of innate morality is cast aside. When I stop even pretending to live and it becomes a race to fill the hours until death. It is an intellectual process, but not 'strictly' an intellectual process, nor even primarily an intellectual process. The intellect is just the battlefield where the war is fought and lost.

Psalm 51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
                    Romans 1:21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

What do you understand to be the relationship between the intellectual and the spiritual?
                    The spiritual sets the tone and the intellect amplifies it.

Mark 7:20-23
                    20 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

And the cure works the same way, from the inside out:

Ephesians 2:1-10
                    1 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath. 4 But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 6 And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, 7 in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Yes and Amen!
                    While I followed the wrong spirit. While I was disobedient. While I lived in a world of, not merely 'flesh' but dying ... at the brink of eternity ... flesh. While my thoughts and deeds were not merely contrary to God, but HATEFUL of God and all he represented ...

... GRACE ... faith (belief and change on a far deeper than intellectual level) ... that saved.
                    Only then, only later, could the work begin of ...

Luke 10:27 He answered, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'”
                    John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—
                    Romans 12:2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
                    2 Corinthians 10:4-6
                    4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 6 And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete.

So what are your thoughts on the relationship between the intellectual and the spiritual?
                    (You piqued my curiosity.) :)
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap