The Commandments of Jesus Christ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Commandments of Jesus Christ

Presented in modernized English without citations; they can be found throughout the Gospels.

We are to love God,
    we are to love our neighbors,
    we are to make no oaths,
    we are to not swear that something is true,
    we are to be forthright in our speech rather than speak evasively,
    we are to make no preparations for tomorrow,
    we are to build up no storage of goods nor money nor food nor substance for ourselves,
    we are to do alms to the poor,
    we are to give to everyone who asks,
    we are to forgive every debt owed us,
    we are to lend to all comers without asking for our stuff back,
    we are to not ask for our stuff back from those who take it,
    we are to sell our possessions and distribute the proceeds to the poor,
    we are to avoid the desire for possessions,
    we are to refrain from lust,
    we are to pray always,
    we are to be merciful,
    we are to not resist evil,
    we are to turn the other cheek when struck,
    we are to comply with those who compel us,
    we are to concede to our opponents even before they take legal action against us,
    we are to let those who sue us have what they sue us for,
    we are to refrain from judging,
    we are to refrain from condemning,
    we are to love our enemies,
    we are to bless those that curse us,
    we are to do good to those who hate us,
    we are to pray for those who spitefully exploit these things against us and use us,
    we are to send back good for evil done to us,
    we are to forgive every offender even until seventy times seven,
    we are to not expend effort to preserve our own lives,
    we are to do every last thing we want done to ourselves to others,
    we are to wholly walk in these ways as God wholly walks in these ways,
    we are to both do and teach all these things,
    and
    if we do these things we are the church and family of God,
    and
    if we do not do these things we are not the church and family of God.

Without any commentary, it's impossible to know what you point is, so please add some comment for the benefit of all.
    Comment>

My point is to repeat the sayings, teachings, and commandments of the Lord Jesus Christ, and to remind those who call themselves by his holy name:

If we do these things which he has commanded, we are the church and family of God.

If we do not these things which he has commanded, we are not the church and family of God.

Luke 6:46-49
      Matthew 12:46-50
      Matthew 16:13-20, particularly v. 18 in reference to the citation to Luke 6:46-49
      Comment>

Originally posted by log View Post
        My point is to repeat the sayings, teachings, and commandments of the Lord Jesus Christ, and to remind those who call themselves by his holy name:

If we do these things which he has commanded, we are the church and family of God.

If we do not these things which he has commanded, we are not the church and family of God.

Luke 6:46-49
        Matthew 12:46-50
        Matthew 16:13-20, particularly v. 18 in reference to the citation to Luke 6:46-49
        I suspected that was what your point was.

All the best to you in your attempt to perfectly obey the entire law of God. When you realize your inability to do so, may you find His love and mercy waiting for you.

So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. (Gal 3:24)

Comment>

Presented in modernized English without citations; they can be found throughout the Gospels.

We are to love God,
          we are to love our neighbors,
          we are to make no oaths,
          we are to not swear that something is true,
          we are to be forthright in our speech rather than speak evasively,
          we are to make no preparations for tomorrow,
          we are to build up no storage of goods nor money nor food nor substance for ourselves,
          we are to do alms to the poor,
          we are to give to everyone who asks,
          we are to forgive every debt owed us,
          we are to lend to all comers without asking for our stuff back,
          we are to not ask for our stuff back from those who take it,
          we are to sell our possessions and distribute the proceeds to the poor,
          we are to avoid the desire for possessions,
          we are to refrain from lust,
          we are to pray always,
          we are to be merciful,
          we are to not resist evil,
          we are to turn the other cheek when struck,
          we are to comply with those who compel us,
          we are to concede to our opponents even before they take legal action against us,
          we are to let those who sue us have what they sue us for,
          we are to refrain from judging,
          we are to refrain from condemning,
          we are to love our enemies,
          we are to bless those that curse us,
          we are to do good to those who hate us,
          we are to pray for those who spitefully exploit these things against us and use us,
          we are to send back good for evil done to us,
          we are to forgive every offender even until seventy times seven,
          we are to not expend effort to preserve our own lives,
          we are to do every last thing we want done to ourselves to others,
          we are to wholly walk in these ways as God wholly walks in these ways,
          we are to both do and teach all these things,
          and
          if we do these things we are the church and family of God,
          and
          if we do not do these things we are not the church and family of God.
          For a more exhaustive list: All 613 Laws of the Old Testament -Christforums

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

God bless,
            William

One more from the Fundie playbook: "I don’t smoke, and I don’t chew, and I don’t go with girls who do.” ;)
            Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post

I suspected that was what your point was.
              Yes, I even said it outright in the original post.

All the best to you in your attempt to perfectly obey the entire law of God. When you realize your inability to do so, may you find His love and mercy waiting for you.

So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. (Gal 3:24)

If you appeal to Paul to defeat Jesus, it would seem you must necessarily be Paul's disciple, and not Jesus's. Paul, I might add, would not approve: 1 Corinthians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 7:19.

If you say God's commandments cannot be kept, you cannot be keeping them and also cannot be born again. See 1 John and James 2, among others.
              Comment>

God bless,
                William
                Christ gave us the law that we shall keep and teach, or we shall not enter into the kingdom of Heaven.

Matthew 5
                19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousnessshall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 23
                1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat:

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, thatobserve and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Luke 12:1 In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

Luke 6
                46 ¶And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:

48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

49 But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.
                Comment>

Matthew 21
                  28 ¶But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.

29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.

30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.

31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

Matthew 7
                  21 ¶Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Therefore, those of you who are Christ's disciples, let us not dispute the will of God, nor revile his law by saying it cannot be kept, but let us be up and doing and teaching.

Otherwise you build on a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive you when the floods come.
                  Comment>

Christ gave us the law that we shall keep and teach, or we shall not enter into the kingdom of Heaven.
                    Why did Christ die?
                    Comment>

There's a quote that came to mind as I read this thread by Samuel Bolton: "We cry down the law in respect of justification, but we set it up as a rule of sanctification. The law sends us to the Gospel that we may be justified; and the Gospel sends us to the law again to inquire what is our duty as those who are justified" - The True Bounds of Christian Freedom (p. 71).

God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

There's a quote that came to mind as I read this thread by Samuel Bolton: "We cry down the law in respect of justification, but we set it up as a rule of sanctification. The law sends us to the Gospel that we may be justified; and the Gospel sends us to the law again to inquire what is our duty as those who are justified" - The True Bounds of Christian Freedom (p. 71).

God bless,
                        William
                        Yes. Very true.

What's troubling in the OP's posts is the belief that the fulfilling of the law is a *condition* of salvation.
                        Comment>

Yes. Very true.

What's troubling in the OP's posts is the belief that the fulfilling of the law is a *condition* of salvation.
                          I agree, I hope the OP takes into consideration what the quote conveys. There is a difference between our Justification and our Christian duty.

God bless,
                          William
                          Comment>

Why did Christ die?
                            Because he received commandment of the Father to lay down his life (John 10:18).
                            Comment>

Yes. Very true.

If you die in your sins, you are not saved.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap