What denomination do you closely relate with......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What denomination do you closely relate with......

What denomination do you most closely relate with but what parts stop you from being part of it?

I'm still trying to learn the differences between so many denominations and thought this thread would help maybe point out things I've probably missed :)

A thread on this subject could become long and convoluted rather quickly. My recommendation is to start looking at the statements of faith of the major denominations, then move into more of the details from there. I know this sounds like a lot of research, but it really is the best way to go about it. After reviewing a specific statement of faith weigh what is said against the bible, and dismiss any that are in apparent contradiction to what the bible teaches.
    Comment>

I grew up in a Baptist Church but "once saved always saved" is unbiblical according to Paul.

I like seventh day adventist as I agree that Saturday is the sabbath but in the two I've been to they didn't seem to know the bible well at all, at least the Sunday school teachers. Aft er a teacher said four or five things totally unbiblical I stopped listening. The services seem to almost always be on worshipping on Saturday instead of Sunday also.

Some pentacost let churches are good but a lot are just way out in left field. Too many people claiming to have God given powers they just don't have. Can't tell the good preachers from the bad ones.

Four square churches seem to take the bible as the final authority but the music is just too loud for me.

I prefer a church that just preaches the bible without any dogma.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Serpardum View Post
        I grew up in a Baptist Church but "once saved always saved" is unbiblical according to Paul.

I like seventh day adventist as I agree that Saturday is the sabbath but in the two I've been to they didn't seem to know the bible well at all, at least the Sunday school teachers. Aft er a teacher said four or five things totally unbiblical I stopped listening. The services seem to almost always be on worshipping on Saturday instead of Sunday also.

Some pentacost let churches are good but a lot are just way out in left field. Too many people claiming to have God given powers they just don't have. Can't tell the good preachers from the bad ones.

Four square churches seem to take the bible as the final authority but the music is just too loud for me.

Wouldn't they be called, "Saturday School" Teachers, in a 7th Day Adventist church instead? ;)
        Last edited by David Lee; 08-13-2016, 01:18 AM.
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

Hi Serpardum, do you believe that St. Paul teaches that someone who is one of God's Elect, who is in Christ and truly a Christian/truly "saved", can "lose" their salvation? Or do you mean something else about the meaning of, "once saved, always saved?

It seems to me that for a person to be, "always saved", they must actually be, "once saved", to begin with.

Yours in Christ,
          David

"He who began a good work in you will perfect
          it until the day of Christ Jesus"

Philippians 1:6

Last edited by David Lee; 08-13-2016, 03:24 AM.

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>

Please elaborate. For instance, do you believe that a preacher should never use the word, "Trinity", or teach the doctrine of the Trinity to his congregation, even if the text warrants it?

Thanks!

--David

Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post

Please elaborate. For instance, do you believe that a preacher should never use the word, "Trinity", or teach the doctrine of the Trinity to his congregation, even if the text warrants it?

Thanks!

--David
              Scripture never will.
              Comment>

Hi Serpardum, do you believe that St. Paul teaches that someone who is one of God's Elect, who is in Christ and truly a Christian/truly "saved", can "lose" their salvation? Or do you mean something else about the meaning of, "once saved, always saved"
                Hebrews 18

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

This follows Jesus saying that not everyone who calls his name shall be saved but those that do the will of His father.

This also follows the old testament

Ezekial 18

24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die. 25 Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal? 26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die. 27 Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive. 28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die. 29 Yet saith the house of Israel, The way of the Lord is not equal. O house of Israel, are not my ways equal? are not your ways unequal?

​​​​​​​

Not at all. What I mean is, a Baptist minister will always attempt to interpret scripture to follow his already accepted dogma. He's already established in his mind what the bible says so really can't learn from it. Anything that doesn't follow what he already believes he will explain away with convoluted schemes.

Such as, when Paul says there will be a fearful looking forward to the day of judgement for those that willfully sin they try to explain away with it meaning they won't get full heavenly reward, or some such. But reading it without preconceived dogma we can plainly read that we are going to hell if we willfully sin after being saved.
                Last edited by Serpardum; 08-13-2016, 12:15 PM. Reason: Addef second reply
                Comment>

Originally posted by theMadJW View Post

Thanks!

Scripture never will.
                  The Hebrew word for God is Elohim. This is a plural word but it is always used with a singular verb. In the creation account he says, "Let us make man in our image, showing there is more than one person in the Godhead. The fact that there are three persons is shown in Isaiah 48:12-16.
                  “Listen to me, O Jacob,
                  and Israel, whom I called!
                  I am he; I am the first,
                  and I am the last.
                  My hand laid the foundation of the earth,
                  and my right hand spread out the heavens;
                  when I call to them,
                  they stand forth together.
                  “Assemble, all of you, and listen!
                  Who among them has declared these things?
                  The LORD loves him;
                  he shall perform his purpose on Babylon,
                  and his arm shall be against the Chaldeans.
                  I, even I, have spoken and called him;
                  I have brought him, and he will prosper in his way.
                  Draw near to me, hear this:
                  from the beginning I have not spoken in secret,
                  from the time it came to be I have been there.”
                  And now the Lord GOD has sent me, and his Spirit.
                  The speaker begins with the declaration, " I am he; I am the first, and I am the last. My hand laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens.", showing that God is speaking and ends with " And now the Lord GOD has sent me, and his Spirit." Who could be God and yet be sent by God and by his Spirit? Only Jesus Christ, the second person of the Trinity.

Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

I believe in the trinity but I believe Isaiah is saying the Lord sent him, especially since the text I read has a closing quote before this.

I believe there are verses that speak of the diety of Jesus, but this isn't one of them.
                    Comment>

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. ~Hebrews 10:26

This follows Jesus saying that not everyone who calls his name shall be saved but those that do the will of His father.
                      Agreed, those who "claim" to be born again, but never leave their former, sinful lifestyles, prove that their "claim" of being a Christian is nothing more that! Likewise, those who go on, "sinning willfully", cannot claim to be, "always saved", because they bypassed the, "once saved", first step, IOW, they were never saved to begin with.

Those who are still in their "natural" state (1 Corinthians 2:14) can never do God's will because they do not and cannot "know" Him, nor does He know them (Matthew 7:22-23).

In Christ,
                      David

"He is able to save forever [to the uttermost] those who
                      draw near to God through Him, since He always
                      lives to make intercession for them"

Hebrews 7:25

Comment>

Scripture never will.
                        Sorry but the teachings of the Watchtower carries no weight here because we know better.

Comment>

Agreed, those who "claim" to be born again, but never leave their former, sinful lifestyles, prove that their "claim" of being a Christian is nothing more that! Likewise, those who go on, "sinning willfully", cannot claim to be, "always saved", because they bypassed the, "once saved", first step, IOW, they were never saved to begin with.
                          This is how the baptists explain this away. The baptists would call them "backsliders". I have always heard the baptists proclaim that "backsliders" are still saved. When confronted with this verse it becomes well, they were never saved in the first place. It does not fit the Baptist dogma so they need to interpret it to follow what they believe.

Look at the person God describes in Ezekial 18. We know that works do not get us to heaven but the atonement for our sins through the sacrifice of Jesus. In the old testament times they were looking forward to the crucifixion of Christ. Today we are looking back on the crucifixion. It is the same salvation. We repent of our sins, ask God for forgiveness and are forgiven. Today we accept Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for our sins. On the past they would sacrifice animals on an alter as a symbolization. An animals blood does nothing but is a symbol for both man and God.

Just because Jesus' death is in our past does not change the conditions of repentant. Ezekial 18 applies to us today just as it did over 2000 years ago. Jesus came not to do away with the law but to fulfill it.

Salvation is not saying some magic words and that's the end of it. It's turning away from our sins and keep turning away. God will not leave or forsake us, but we can leave and forsake Him.
                          Comment>

Hi Serpardum, you said,

Salvation is not saying some magic words and that's the end of it.
                            That's exactly what I've been saying here, isn't it? Look at my signature line quote below by John Calvin :)

It seems to me that Hebrews 10:26 isn't concerned with "backsliders" or "has beens", it's concerned with those who never became Christians to begin with (cf Matthew 7:22-23 and Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43), even though that may be their "claim" and belief about themselves!

True (born again) Christians, those who God has made into "new creatures" in His Son (2 Corinthians 5:17) do not, "go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth"! That's the description of someone who knew everything they needed to know and SHOULD have become a Christian, but never did.

I think it's also important to consider what the Lord has to say 1) concerning the elect and His promise of eternal (not probationary) life from the moment we first believe.

24 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life. ~John 5

And 2) concerning His intention to carry out His Father's will concerning the elect/His "bride", and His statement that of all the Father draws and gives to Him, He loses .................................................. .........how many?

37All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.
                            38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
                            39 This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. ~John 6

We are saved by grace through the gift of faith that God gives us so we can believe, and He has promised to see us through to Glory as well .. Philippians 1:6.

Yours and His,
                            David

“No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me
                            draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day"
                            John 6:44

Comment>

Jesus will not cast out those that turn from God, they do it themselves. It is God's will that Jesus lose nothing, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Remember, it is also God's will that none should perish, but we know for a fact that's not going to happen.

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap