Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking Im Going To Hell

Hi Guys,

For a long time I have had OCD, I used to think I would die in my sleep if I didn't do something right. But now I feel that I will go to Hell if I do something wrong. Im going to Winter Jam(a christian concert on Friday) I feel like if I go I will go to Hell. This is not the first time, Im so tired of this OCD it kills me inside. I want to be able to be free and be able to just be me! What can I do?

The first thing you should do is make sure this fear is a result of your OCD and not the Holy Spirit at work. In 1 Corinthians 13:5 Paul said, "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith." A good way to do this would be to read 1 John and compare what it teaches with your own life. I suggested 1 John because it was written so that believers would know they have eternal life. 1 John 5:13 says, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life."

If this examination convinces you that you are in fact saved and not really in danger of going to Hell, probably the best thing to do next would be to look for a Christian counselor to help you. Here is a site that will help you find such a counselor near you: Find Christian Counselor

Perhaps there is someone on this site who can help you. I have never had this particular problem so I have no idea how to cope with it, but I will pray that God will give you the help you need.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Click image for larger version

Name:	MartinLuther_Quotes27.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	10195
      Comment>

You should go to a therapist to help you resolve and control you OCD to the best of your ability. I would start keeping a notebook and write down all the good things you do throughout the day. It might help relieve your stress about going to hell. Actively remind yourself of the good things you do so that the positive reminders will overtake the negative thoughts.
        Comment>

Have you talked with your pastor? It may help you. I agree counseling would be a good thing, but I would suggest you find a Christian counselor so that she/he could guide you medically and spiritually. Also, do you have a support system? Friends, family? I would also talk with them.
          Comment>

Never too late to change. God is a forgiving father, and if you ask nicely enough, and you show atonement for your sins, I'm sure there's a place for you in his table. Just make sure to start a new life though, as God may be forgiving, he is also wrathful. Make sure you're serious, and start anew.
            Comment>

Seek help and pray, pray, pray. Our Father in heaven is forgiving make sure when you pray repent of your sins and He will be merciful.
              Comment>

Thinking you're going to hell for a religious reason or lack of belief, and thinking that due to a medical condition, are two entirely different things in my opinion.

First of all I think it's important to get help for the OCD and get that under control, and if that means therapy or medication, both even, then so be it.

Some believe and think like you do due to a lack of faith, or because the way they live, or have lived their life, but in this situation I don't think that's the case and it's not a spiritual problem but more of a physical/mental one.
                Comment>

Obsessive thoughts like this are probably a lot more common than you think. A lot of people have dealt with it at some point in their life over one thing or another, so don't think this makes you inferior.

I don't know your background, so I don't know how well you understand scripture at this point. I think a good step for you to take, wherever you are at right now, would be to go through a thorough Bible study on understanding salvation. Really take some time with either an older believer or study guide written by a good teacher to help guide you to key passages and explain difficult terms.

Once you know that you understand your salvation, you have the tools, right from scripture to defend yourself against the lies of the enemy.
                  Comment>

Ultimately, only you and God will be able to really heal this situation. To share from personal experience, I used to live with a fear that my faith, my salvation could be taken away if I made a mistake. But that's the beauty of it - that is not how it works. Thank goodness for that, because I think we all would be in a lot more trouble for it. Fear is not of God.

i am rebuilding my walk now after six years of being very unsure of where I stood spiritually, or if I believed anything. I am happy that God never abandoned me. If you do not have it already, I would recommend downloading a Bible app to your smartphone. The one I use has topical discussions and fear and faith where were I started.

All the best to you, please keep searching.
                    Comment>

Sorry to hear you have OCD, have you tried getting help for it? Talking to someone helps especially if they're a professional. Why do you think you're going to hell? Do you feel anxious a lot? It seems to me that you're a good person and you're trying to seek a cure for whatever you're going through and in that case if science can't help I hope faith and love will. I'm praying for you.
                      Comment>

Well I am sorry to hear of the issues that you are dealing, and I must admit I never really knew that OCD translated into having thoughts like that. I have a little bit of experience with OCD in my work, but really not all that much, and so I probably suffer from the same assumptions that most people have, which is OCD causes you to clean a lot and just be really neat. There is much more to it, of course, and that is really evident in the situation you describe. I hope that you can find some help or some relief, and just know that the feelings are temporary. Thank for sharing and best of luck.
                        Comment>

I think maybe you are succumbing to false guilt. It happens to everyone at times. It's one of the strings our enemy enjoys pulling. If he can keep us feeling guilty, worried, and fearful, he can paralyze us and harm our relationship with God.

Keep in mind that "godly conviction is based on love, not fear" (quoted from the link below). See also 1 John 4:17-18.

I think this How Can We Know If Our Guilt Feelings Are from the Holy Spirit or from Satan? | Questions.org might be beneficial for you. I found it helpful.

Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap