A Lutheran Eucharistic Vision

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lutheran Eucharistic Vision

I saw something so powerful on Reformation Sunday, I think I should share it. I had just ingested the Blood of Christ, shed for me, when I closed my eyes and I saw a throne. On this throne sat a skeleton and my heart was filled with fear. As I kept looking, flesh covered these bones and a King sat on the throne. A great Light emanated from this King and filled my field of vision. At that point, Pastor was saying the blessing and I got up from the altar rail with the others and returned to my pew. I realized then that death was truly swallowed up by Life and that Jesus Christ is indeed the Light of the world. I gained a renewed appreciation for the Church, the Word and the Sacraments and how the Holy Spirit uses them to impart grace to the believer. I don't get insights like these very often and when I do, either I'll keep them private and forget them, or just forget it immediately, with no effort to record anything. This time, i felt it necessary to type it out. The Lord be with you.

Originally posted by ConfessionalLutheran View Post
    I saw something so powerful on Reformation Sunday, I think I should share it. I had just ingested the Blood of Christ, shed for me, when I closed my eyes and I saw a throne. On this throne sat a skeleton and my heart was filled with fear. As I kept looking, flesh covered these bones and a King sat on the throne. A great Light emanated from this King and filled my field of vision. At that point, Pastor was saying the blessing and I got up from the altar rail with the others and returned to my pew. I realized then that death was truly swallowed up by Life and that Jesus Christ is indeed the Light of the world. I gained a renewed appreciation for the Church, the Word and the Sacraments and how the Holy Spirit uses them to impart grace to the believer. I don't get insights like these very often and when I do, either I'll keep them private and forget them, or just forget it immediately, with no effort to record anything. This time, i felt it necessary to type it out. The Lord be with you.
    Hi ConfessionalLutheran,

Like you I tend to keep these things private, because I doubt whether these things are from God or my own imagination. Quick question brother, how do you determine which is so? I mean I had one particular one that stands out in mind years ago in church, where it was a glossy image painted over my sight, I could see through the vision but I couldn't shake the image for near half a minute.

The reason I keep such things private are because of the doors that open. All kinds of terrible twisting occurs when someone receives something that actually contradicts Scripture, a lot of people tend to "go with the personal revelation" rather than Scripture.

Last question, if I were to create an image using Adobe Photoshop of a heavenly being would that violate Exodus 20:4? I ask because I still remember the imagery vividly, and I could recreate it on the computer.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Hi ConfessionalLutheran,

Like you I tend to keep these things private, because I doubt whether these things are from God or my own imagination. Quick question brother, how do you determine which is so? I mean I had one particular one that stands out in mind years ago in church, where it was a glossy image painted over my sight, I could see through the vision but I couldn't shake the image for near half a minute.

The reason I keep such things private are because of the doors that open. All kinds of terrible twisting occurs when someone receives something that actually contradicts Scripture, a lot of people tend to "go with the personal revelation" rather than Scripture.

Last question, if I were to create an image using Adobe Photoshop of a heavenly being would that violate Exodus 20:4? I ask because I still remember the imagery vividly, and I could recreate it on the computer.

God bless,
      William
      Does the vision agree with the Bible? Does the vision enhance faith, or does it pervert basic Christian doctrine? Those are two criteria I would use. If the vision is faith building, it's harmless. I don't think that Exodus 20:4 would be violated by using Photoshop. Idolatry occurs when you worship any being other than God and that can be tempting to do, but it leads one's heart away from God. That's why when St. John fell at the angel's feet to worship him, the angel immediately rebuked him and directed him to worship God.
      Comment>

Does the vision agree with the Bible? Does the vision enhance faith, or does it pervert basic Christian doctrine? Those are two criteria I would use. If the vision is faith building, it's harmless. I don't think that Exodus 20:4 would be violated by using Photoshop. Idolatry occurs when you worship any being other than God and that can be tempting to do, but it leads one's heart away from God. That's why when St. John fell at the angel's feet to worship him, the angel immediately rebuked him and directed him to worship God.
        Does it agree with Scripture? I believe so, as I sat watching the reception of new members into the church years ago while baptisms were being performed, standing in the pews was an angel of light. I associated the angelic being as the archangel by the likes of Michael guarding over Israel/Church. But ya know, it was "an angel of light" ;) The angel never said a word, just stood tall above the rest of the people in height, witnessing the reception of members through baptism. I considered this "vision" as a personal revelation, and I felt reassured that I too belonged in the body of Christ.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Does it agree with Scripture? I believe so, as I sat watching the reception of new members into the church years ago while baptisms were being performed, standing in the pews was an angel of light. I associated the angelic being as the archangel by the likes of Michael guarding over Israel/Church. But ya know, it was "an angel of light" ;) The angel never said a word, just stood tall above the rest of the people in height, witnessing the reception of members through baptism. I considered this "vision" as a personal revelation, and I felt reassured that I too belonged in the body of Christ.

God bless,
          William
          A powerful vision that confirmed you in your faith. I hear what you say and mark the reference of " the devil appearing as an angel of Light" per 2 Corinthians 11:14, but I don't think you need worry in that case.The devil wouldn't give his blessing to a number of people confessing Christ to the congregation, now would he? I would simply mark it as a heavenly witness and cherish the experience.
          Comment>

I will speak of a spurious dream I had last night, while powerful, showed me how easily falsehood can be transmitted to vision. I dreamt that I was in the middle of a Native American gathering, where I called myself a Shawnee and claimed to " despise whites." I saw myself, just as pale white in my dreams as I am in reality, calling myself this, my gray eyes flashing in indignaton. My ethnicity is very much English and partially Scotch- Irish. When I woke up, I looked at myself in the mirror and was tempted to laugh at how ridiculous the dream was, when I thought " that news about the water supply issue in North Dakota must have effected me on an unconscious level, where I want to identify myself with the " good guys" in a noble struggle against the " bad guys." English indentured servant and Scotch- Irish religious refugee ancestry must have informed that dream.. looking with compassion and identification with those who we see as downtrodden. Not all " visions" are necessarily true ones, or even productive ones.
            Comment>

I will speak of a spurious dream I had last night, while powerful, showed me how easily falsehood can be transmitted to vision. I dreamt that I was in the middle of a Native American gathering, where I called myself a Shawnee and claimed to " despise whites." I saw myself, just as pale white in my dreams as I am in reality, calling myself this, my gray eyes flashing in indignaton. My ethnicity is very much English and partially Scotch- Irish. When I woke up, I looked at myself in the mirror and was tempted to laugh at how ridiculous the dream was, when I thought " that news about the water supply issue in North Dakota must have effected me on an unconscious level, where I want to identify myself with the " good guys" in a noble struggle against the " bad guys." English indentured servant and Scotch- Irish religious refugee ancestry must have informed that dream.. looking with compassion and identification with those who we see as downtrodden. Not all " visions" are necessarily true ones, or even productive ones.
              Couldn't agree more. I used to interpret my dreams every morning for near a year. During which time I tried an experiment. I cut off all media and only read the Scriptures day to day. When I reintroduced media back into my life I was amazed how my dream patterns changed, and how much they mimicked spurious clips of what I was subjected to throughout the span of a week.

God bless,
              William
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap