Membership in the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Membership in the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod

This membership happens at a congregational level. i wanted to get a copy of the vows that we make when we affirm or reaffirm our faith, or when our young people are confirmed ( when they reaffirm their Baptism), but after scouring the internet for a large part of the day, I was unsuccessful, so I'll just go ahead with what I remember and do a little copy/ paste as per usual.

When I stood with my fellow affirmands before the altar, I did so after taking a six- week course known as " Lutheranism 101." It was really cool, a cartoon fellow kept getting himself in scrapes only the Lord could get him out of. This " Everyman" character, of course, represented all of us. Well, to make a long story as short as possible, we affirmed the articles of the Apostles creed, we declared that we would, by the grace of God, continue in the faith and Confessions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and participate in the life of the church on a regular basis. After the Divine Service ( the Reaffirmation of faith was conducted as part of a regular Sunday Service. When I transferred my membership to Hope here at home, I made the same vows and this time, they asked for my Confirmation verse, which Hope in Jacksonville did not mention. I selected John 15:5 and it stuck with me. I still kind of consider it " my" verse, even though it wasn't formally announced).

Of course, here are the various ways one can achieve membership status at a congregation of the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod:

5.0 MEMBERSHIP
    5.1 The following are welcome as members in this congregation:

5.1.1 Baptized Members
    All those who are baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit and who are under the spiritual care of the pastor of this congregation, including children who have not yet been confirmed.

5.1.2 Communicant Members
    Communicant members are those baptized members who have been in the Lutheran faith, accept the confessional standard of this constitution, are familiar with the contents of Luther's Small Catechism, and are not members of organizations whose principles and conduct conflict with the Word of God.

5.1.3 Voting Members
    All communicant members who have accepted the Constitution and by-laws of this congregation. In legal matters the voting age is 18 years.

5.2 Reception
    Baptized and communicant members are received through the Sacrament of Holy Baptism, through the consent of one or both parents in the case of children who have been baptized in another Christian congregation, through the rite of confirmation, through transfer from a sister congregation, or through profession of faith or reaffirmation of faith. The reception shall be approved by the voters meeting. Eligible communicant members may be received as voting members upon application for such privilege, upon approval by the voters meeting, and upon approving the constitution.
    Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd

Anyway, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to really delve into the mysteries of Lutheran Christianity and to have some one on one time with the pastor of your church. one thing I can say about Lutheran ministers: they're apt to be extremely educated and they tend to be theologians.

I'm going to bump this up. I think I've already given my own testimony, how I came to Lutheranism, etc., and as I am irrepressibly nosy, I like to hear about other adult conversion experiences and how people get their membership in their churches. :)
    Comment>

Well, my story was told in the intro section. But check any LSB and you will find the Confirmation Service I was confirmed with.
      Comment>

After a little drama, I testify that God showered me with grace upon grace by leading me to the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod and the One, True Faith ( Christianity, complete with Word and Sacrament).
        Last edited by ConfessionalLutheran; 10-24-2016, 08:01 PM.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap