First ordained gay minister

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First ordained gay minister

    I have relatives that go here. I was too until i researched the UCC and found out their claim to fame is the first gay minister around 1968. That was enough for me. There is a link to the lgbtq's. I met the newest pastor at the church and he called a previous pastor poison. Wow. Anyways, the rift here is that all UCC's have the freedom to choose how their local churches worship. Meaning they do not all agree with it. And i just read that the UCC is happy that more regulations for abortion clinics in Texas has been struck down by the Supreme Court. Hmmm. Can anyone tell me if the UCC teaches anything about prophecy? Here is a quote from one UCC site:

    "We believe that the UCC is called to be a prophetic church. As in the tradition of the prophets and apostles, God calls the church to speak truth to power, liberate the oppressed, care for the poor and comfort the afflicted."

    So they do teach it, or are works enough? And not that i am the most knowledgeable dude, but what about this quote:

    "We believe that all of the baptized 'belong body and soul to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.' No matter who – no matter what – no matter where we are on life's journey – notwithstanding race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, class or creed – we all belong to God and to one worldwide community of faith. All persons baptized – past, present and future – are connected to each other and to God through the sacrament of baptism. We baptize during worship when the community is present because baptism includes the community's promise of 'love, support and care' for the baptized – and we promise that we won't take it back – no matter where your journey leads you."
    .
    So you get Baptized and you are in and cannot lose your salvation on their authority? Hmmm.

  • #2
    Beware of the false prophets/teachers. These people know the word of God well enough but would rather not obey His commandments. And the people who go to these churches are very much like the Israelites in Isaiah's time told prophets — "you must not prophesy to us what is right, Speak to us pleasant words, Prophesy illusions" — their "reward" awaits them.
    Comment>

    • #3
      I go to the Church of Christ, I've never heard of it being referred to as the UCC before. There is no headquarters. The only prophesy is the bible itself, and nothing is added to the bible or taken away from it. I'm 100% positive that a gay minister
      would never be allowed.
      Comment>

      • #4
        HI AB, the United Church of Christ is extremely liberal when compared to any of the Churches of Christ that I know of out there (or the International Church of Christ), whether they be instrumental or non-instrumental. They are not part of what all of you guys call the "Restoration Movement". So your names may be similar, but that's about it.

        Yours and His,
        David
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

        "We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

        "The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

        "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

        "The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

        • #5
          Very pleased to hear that Miss Banana. I know they have freedom to choose as a single church, but yours sounds like it is not affiliated.
          Comment>

          • #6
            We may be able to say we believe in order to justify whatever we may want others to accept.Didn't the Bible state that is wrong for persons of the same gender to be in a relationship as if they were man and wife? Then comes along someone who says it's right because they believe it's so. How can a minister now be acting to the contrary of what is stated in the Bible be and preaching that it's the correct thing to do, isn't this a great contradiction?
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
              We may be able to say we believe in order to justify whatever we may want others to accept.Didn't the Bible state that is wrong for persons of the same gender to be in a relationship as if they were man and wife? Then comes along someone who says it's right because they believe it's so. How can a minister now be acting to the contrary of what is stated in the Bible be and preaching that it's the correct thing to do, isn't this a great contradiction?
              Because he is not preaching the full counsel of God, merely his own cherry picked sections that fit with his narrative.
              Comment>

              • #8
                This is disgraceful.

                Homosexuality is an abomination.

                How would this person deal with the passages that forbid homosexuality and says that homosexuals will NOT inherit the kingdom of God? Simple, he/she/it will use a modern mistranslation which minimizes it. the NIV removes the word "SODOMITE", even!
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by Calvarystudy View Post
                  This is disgraceful.

                  Homosexuality is an abomination.

                  How would this person deal with the passages that forbid homosexuality and says that homosexuals will NOT inherit the kingdom of God? Simple, he/she/it will use a modern mistranslation which minimizes it. the NIV removes the word "SODOMITE", even!
                  See my comment above.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Christian teaching that the two that is a man and woman shall be join to one. It does not say a man and a man the word gay ism is not allowed in Christianity it is not allowed. Sodom and gomara were destroyed because of homosexuality
                    Last edited by ongoro2001; 06-08-2017, 01:27 AM.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      If the Gay minister is celibate and doesn't involve his self to a Gay relation, I may give him a chance to be e minister but there will be some limitations.I think a Gay person can still be a good Christian by being celibate since we know a heterosexual marriage will not work for them. If heterosexuals have the ability to stay celibate and not have sexual and romantic relations, I am sure Gays can do it too since life doesn't have to be about sex. Gays can think about this, they still have better lives than people born with defects. if they can't find the opposite sex attractive, getting celibate is the only way.
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sparky
                        If the Gay minister is celibate and doesn't involve his self to a Gay relation, I may give him a chance to be e minister but there will be some limitations.I think a Gay person can still be a good Christian by being celibate since we know a heterosexual marriage will not work for them. If heterosexuals have the ability to stay celibate and not have sexual and romantic relations, I am sure Gays can do it too since life doesn't have to be about sex. Gays can think about this, they still have better lives than people born with defects. if they can't find the opposite sex attractive, getting celibate is the only way.
                        Or finding the opposite sex attractive could be an alternative approach.
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap