I am a 16 year old who needs help with his parents.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a 16 year old who needs help with his parents.

I know I'm not the usual kind to post on a site like this but I really need help. I've always felt more towards God then others my age and at one point I really started following him. However, I have trouble staying focused on him and often lose sight of him completely and I have to find him again. This is the source of my problem. This is where it gets rough. My parents both truly believe in God as I do, but my dad doesn't really follow him. However, when I first started truly giving my life to him absolutely amazing things happened. I had a sense of complete fulfillment and contentment, it was a feeling so amazing I can't even describe it and it lasted for weeks. The best part, though, was that it wasn't just me. My mom and dad's life's started changing. I knew it was god the day my dad opened up to me as he is very hard man that doesn't open up. He told me things that he has never told anyone. Apparently, he was in the same boat I am now when he was a kid. I was shocked, I had no idea that my dad was interested in God. My dad lives a very Wordly life. Even my mom's friend became interested in God through my story. My dad, a man who I though was a "believer" actually knew God and even wanted to pursue him because of me. To me, I was saving my dad's soul through Jesus. But then, I lost it. I somehow got worked away from God and lost my it all. My light didn't shine anymore. It kills me inside because my dad and my moms friend went back to their old ways. Why can't I STAY connected with God? Is there any way I can get my dad interested in God again? I can't describe how horrible I feel. If only I could keep my walk with God straight, then I could of changed my dad's life for the better. I blame myself that if I hadn't somehow distanced myself from God then my dad would follow in my footsteps, as he was, and get his soul saved. Please help me. I want my dad and myself to have Jesus reign king over our lives.

Originally posted by Matt Trent View Post
    I know I'm not the usual kind to post on a site like this but I really need help. I've always felt more towards God then others my age and at one point I really started following him. However, I have trouble staying focused on him and often lose sight of him completely and I have to find him again. This is the source of my problem. This is where it gets rough. My parents both truly believe in God as I do, but my dad doesn't really follow him. However, when I first started truly giving my life to him absolutely amazing things happened. I had a sense of complete fulfillment and contentment, it was a feeling so amazing I can't even describe it and it lasted for weeks. The best part, though, was that it wasn't just me. My mom and dad's life's started changing. I knew it was god the day my dad opened up to me as he is very hard man that doesn't open up. He told me things that he has never told anyone. Apparently, he was in the same boat I am now when he was a kid. I was shocked, I had no idea that my dad was interested in God. My dad lives a very Wordly life. Even my mom's friend became interested in God through my story. My dad, a man who I though was a "believer" actually knew God and even wanted to pursue him because of me. To me, I was saving my dad's soul through Jesus. But then, I lost it. I somehow got worked away from God and lost my it all. My light didn't shine anymore. It kills me inside because my dad and my moms friend went back to their old ways. Why can't I STAY connected with God? Is there any way I can get my dad interested in God again? I can't describe how horrible I feel. If only I could keep my walk with God straight, then I could of changed my dad's life for the better. I blame myself that if I hadn't somehow distanced myself from God then my dad would follow in my footsteps, as he was, and get his soul saved. Please help me. I want my dad and myself to have Jesus reign king over our lives.
    Hi Matt,

Just like to welcome you to the forum.

I haven't much really to add, except that you're not your dad's or anyone else's savior.

Praying for you and yours, Matt.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Trent, if your dad is like most dads, he loves you very much, even more than his own life. All you have to do is show you love God by how you live and your dad will want to support you in that, because he supports you in all that you do. Be reverent and do what is right.
      Comment>

I blame myself that if I hadn't somehow distanced myself from God then my dad would follow in my footsteps, as he was, and get his soul saved. Please help me.
        Keep putting everything on God by trusting Him to work it out by patiently waiting, "casting" all on God in prayer (1Pet 5:7).

May it all be put into His hands!
        Comment>

MT, I wanted to add this, which is from a daily devotional called "None But The Hungry Heart" by MJS. This addresses anything that attempts to interrupt our consistency concerning our walk in Christ.

“LET THE SAME DISPOSITION BE IN YOU WHICH WAS IN CHRIST JESUS.” “FORASMUCH THEN AS CHRIST HATH
          SUFFERED IN THE FLESH, ARM YOURSELVES LIKEWISE WITH THE SAME MIND: FOR HE THAT HATH SUFFERED IN THE FLESH IS AT REST FROM SIN” (PHIL. 2:5, WEY; 1 PET. 4:1M).

“If you allow yourself to entertain a suggestion of self-gratification—if you consider it, and give it a place in your mind—you are defeated (not as to possessing faith but concerning strength of faith). You have laid aside your armor, and will fall an easy prey to the foe. But there will be no response to the suggestion or temptation if you stand armed with the mind to suffer in the flesh. That which is proposed to you is exactly opposite to what you are set for. It is suggested that you should be pleased and gratified in the very thing in which you are fully minded to suffer. You are now in conflict with sin—not going along with it; you suffer in the flesh, and have ceased from the practice of sin.” -C.A.C.

Devotional: None But The Hungry Heart
          Comment>

it was a feeling so amazing I can't even describe it and it lasted for weeks.
            Are you relying on your feelings to measure how close you are to God? If so you need to be aware that they are not a reliable indicator. We must learn to put our faith in what God says in his Word, the Bible, and not in how we feel.

Are you reading and studying the Bible regularly? Our bodies need food if they are to function properly. Our souls need food too, and that food if found in the Bible. Jesus said, "Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Another thing you need to keep in mind that is that Satan is active in opposing those who try to follow God. When we win a spiritual victory or accomplish some work for God we can count on his attacking us. Perhaps your present feelings are the result of such an attack.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              Perhaps your present feelings are the result of such an attack.
              Very applicable post Theo!
              Comment>

Originally posted by NetChaplain View Post
                MT, I wanted to add this, which is from a daily devotional called "None But The Hungry Heart" by MJS. This addresses anything that attempts to interrupt our consistency concerning our walk in Christ.

“LET THE SAME DISPOSITION BE IN YOU WHICH WAS IN CHRIST JESUS.” “FORASMUCH THEN AS CHRIST HATH
                SUFFERED IN THE FLESH, ARM YOURSELVES LIKEWISE WITH THE SAME MIND: FOR HE THAT HATH SUFFERED IN THE FLESH IS AT REST FROM SIN” (PHIL. 2:5, WEY; 1 PET. 4:1M).

“If you allow yourself to entertain a suggestion of self-gratification—if you consider it, and give it a place in your mind—you are defeated (not as to possessing faith but concerning strength of faith). You have laid aside your armor, and will fall an easy prey to the foe. But there will be no response to the suggestion or temptation if you stand armed with the mind to suffer in the flesh. That which is proposed to you is exactly opposite to what you are set for. It is suggested that you should be pleased and gratified in the very thing in which you are fully minded to suffer. You are now in conflict with sin—not going along with it; you suffer in the flesh, and have ceased from the practice of sin.” -C.A.C.

Devotional: None But The Hungry Heart
                Thanks so much for sharing this. My mom always tells me that a walk with God is a walk of faith and not feeling, I need to remember that.
                Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                  Are you relying on your feelings to measure how close you are to God? If so you need to be aware that they are not a reliable indicator. We must learn to put our faith in what God says in his Word, the Bible, and not in how we feel.

Are you reading and studying the Bible regularly? Our bodies need food if they are to function properly. Our souls need food too, and that food if found in the Bible. Jesus said, "Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Another thing you need to keep in mind that is that Satan is active in opposing those who try to follow God. When we win a spiritual victory or accomplish some work for God we can count on his attacking us. Perhaps your present feelings are the result of such an attack.
                  As my last post said, I was always told a walk with God is one of faith and not feeling.
                  Comment>

Also, referring to all those who posted. I know I'm not my dad's savior, but the point is that I Know Jesus was using me to get to my dad. I prayed so hard for my dad's salvation. My dad is an honest believer in God but, like me now, his walk with him is stagnant. He told me this, he told me he knows he isn't where he needs to be. However, he was changing, and the day I essentially quit living for God, all of the progress made in him was gone. I know no man is responding for another's salvation ,but I firmly believe that had I kept my actions and mind centered on God my dad would be closer to God as well. I guess it all comes down to this. I believe that if I can become God centered again and STAY God centered I can become much happier and let Jesus work through me. I just always lose sight of him every time I start being the follower I should be.
                    Comment>

Also, referring to all those who posted. I know I'm not my dad's savior, but the point is that I Know Jesus was using me to get to my dad. I prayed so hard for my dad's salvation. My dad is an honest believer in God but, like me now, his walk with him is stagnant. He told me this, he told me he knows he isn't where he needs to be. However, he was changing, and the day I essentially quit living for God, all of the progress made in him was gone. I know no man is responding for another's salvation ,but I firmly believe that had I kept my actions and mind centered on God my dad would be closer to God as well. I guess it all comes down to this. I believe that if I can become God centered again and STAY God centered I can become much happier and let Jesus work through me. I just always lose sight of him every time I start being the follower I should be.

I have trouble with staying on the path to God aswell. Namely because my head, my brain, I get analysis paralysis.

And i think it's a normal thing to get lost, so when you finally find your way again, you're stronger because of it. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, right?

Anyhow, keep trying to find your way, you'll find it one day.

Maybe he was using you to show your father the way, but you know, seeing a Christian come out of struggle with a joyful and optimistic attitude can also help someone find their way to Christ.
                      Comment>

Generally speaking, what does it mean to just start following G-d. Is it to follow His rules - or commandments - as John says in his letters; love is that we observe the commandments that Christ gave us or is it something else?
                        Comment>

Originally posted by slippy View Post
                          Generally speaking, what does it mean to just start following G-d. Is it to follow His rules - or commandments - as John says in his letters; love is that we observe the commandments that Christ gave us or is it something else?
                          To love your neighbor as yourself
                          And love the lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul.
                          Comment>

You worry about your father and hope he will be interested in God again.Your will is good. I think what we can do is praying to God for your father, besides, you should help him, such as reading the Bible with him, sharing the testimonies of sisters and brothers with him and so on.
                            Comment>

Hey Matt. Cool post. Definitely love the honesty.

Do you attend church? Have any friends who do? Do you have any other adults in your life who are walking in faith? (A teacher, a youth pastor, a coach, maybe?)

Awesome that you are reaching out on here, but let's be honest, the Internet is EASY but not the most effective place to really make a life change, you know? I encourage you to find someone in your real, face-to-face life that you can sit down with and hash this out. (Someone you trust who is not your mom or dad, as they are the subject of your dilemma.)

The good news is that it is possible to have a real and growing walk of faith, even without the direct support of your parents. This will probably become the meat of your testimony one day. But definitely see if you can't get connected to someone who you can check in with more regularly and get sound advice from. Good luck and God bless!
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap