Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

How do Catholics Answer the Charge of Being Non-Christian by Praying to Mary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Catholics Answer the Charge of Being Non-Christian by Praying to Mary?

To hear a compelling list of charges against Catholicism by the gospel-savvy evangelical John F. MacArthur, I recommend that you click on Listen using Pop-Up Player at The Pope and the Papacy

Question 1: How do Catholics answer the charge of being non-Christian by praying to Mary?

You can find Catholic websites that defend Catholic doctrines. But, their arguments are not compelling.

Q: Why do you pray to Mary?
    A: Protestants ask pastors to pray for them, same thing.
    Q: But, Mary's dead?
    A: People in Heaven aren't dead.
    Etc.

Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven, Sinless, and Omniscient is the image of God, they say with a straight face in defense of their worship of her, which they deny is worship.

Now, how about an examination of MacArthur's view on drinking:

Q: Why do you think drinking is wrong?
    A: The Bible says be not drunk with wine.
    Q: But, Jesus drank wine?
    A: Wine in the Bible wasn't alcoholic.
    Etc.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
      You can find Catholic websites that defend Catholic doctrines. But, their arguments are not compelling.

Q: Why do you pray to Mary?
      A: Protestants ask pastors to pray for them, same thing.
      Q: But, Mary's dead?
      A: People in Heaven aren't dead.
      Etc.

Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven, Sinless, and Omniscient is the image of God, they say with a straight face in defense of their worship of her, which they deny is worship.
      Their exaltation of Mary is undeniable blasphemy. Prayers to Mary on the feast of the Immaculate Conception

Comment>

Cyril of Jerusalem

"Then [during the Eucharistic prayer] we make mention also of those who have already fallen asleep: first, the patriarchs, prophets, apostles, and martyrs, that through their prayers and supplications God would receive our petition . . . " (Catechetical Lectures 23:9 [A.D. 350]).

Methodius

"Hail to you for ever, Virgin Mother of God, our unceasing joy, for unto thee do I again return. Thou are the beginning of our feast; you are its middle and end; the pearl of great price that belongs unto the kingdom; the fat of every victim, the living altar of the Bread of Life [Jesus]. Hail, you treasure of the love of God. Hail, you fount of the Son's love for man. . . . You gleamed, sweet gift-bestowing mother, of the light of the sun; you gleamed with the insupportable fires of a most fervent charity, bringing forth in the end that which was conceived of thee . . . making manifest the mystery hidden and unspeakable, the invisible Son of the Father--the Prince of Peace, who in a marvelous manner showed himself as less than all littleness" (Oration on Simeon and Anna 14 [A.D. 305]).

Well, for me, these are enough evidences for the question at hand. The bible has already outlined the important of praying to God and to Jesus Christ but it has also stated the importance of praying to righteous men like saints and martyrs (James and Timothy). So with that, praying to the saints or to Mama Mary is not non-Christian, at least for me. We still pray to God and Jesus Christ but also regard the importance of these righteous people who already had their sanctifications done. The bible said itself that it's all right to ask for prayers for those already in heaven. Even in the ancient Church, praying to the saints and to Mama Mary was done as well.
        Comment>

Praying to Mary was explained to me by my theology teacher in elementary. I was only around 10 at the time, so she probably simplified the answer, but it goes; if you want to ask for help through hard times, you should consider praying to Mary, for she is the mother of Jesus, and no son could ever refuse a request from his mother. That was her explanation, and I think it made sense. I don't see why it is a huge issue, as Mary has been the chosen one to carry God's son and raise Him up in this world.
          Comment>

Mary is physically dead but in Christ Jesus she is alive. We all have equal status in Christ Jesus including the Saints, Mary and the O.T. Prophets. Just trust Jesus, he treats everybody as equal. In Matthew he said, all who believe in my father are my brothers, sisters and mothers.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap