Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

How can we get rid of sin?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can we get rid of sin?

Since Adam and Eve sinned, people had become sinners. In the Age of Law, people could be atoned by offering sacrifices. In the Age of Grace, people can pray for seeking the Lord's forgiveness of sins. The Bible says,“For if we do evil on purpose after we have had the knowledge of what is true, there is no more offering for sins.”(bbe Hebrews 10:26) Reading the Bible verse, I think of my present situation: When I go to the supermarket to buy something, I will take the free plastic bags home secretly; When my friend needs some help, sometimes I tell a lie saying that I am busy now. When my parents treat me with bad attitude, I do not have patience……I do these things during the day, I confess before the Lord at night, ask the Lord to forgive my sins. I know that I don't act to the will of the Lord. But I don't have the power to do what is right. As the Bible says, “For I am conscious that in me, that is, in my flesh, there is nothing good: I have the mind but not the power to do what is right.”(bbe Roman 7:18) If I continue doing these, there is no more offering for sins. What can I do? I am really confused.

Originally posted by Jennifer View Post
    The Bible says,“For if we do evil on purpose after we have had the knowledge of what is true, there is no more offering for sins.” Hebrews 10:26... If I continue doing these, there is no more offering for sins. What can I do? I am really confused.
    G'day Jennifer,

I believe you are taking Hebrews 10:26 out of context and are making a misapplication which is causing you undue stress. Hebrews 10:26 refers to apostates and emphasizes Perseverance in the faith. The apostates are those who had been once received into the Church and are those that ought not forsake it. The author of Hebrews now declares that there remained for such no sacrifice for sin, because they had willfully sinned after having received the knowledge of the truth. But as to sinners who fall in any other way, Christ offers himself daily to us, so that we are to seek no other sacrifice for expiating our sins. He denies, then, that any sacrifice remains for them who renounce the death of Christ, which is not done by any offense except by a total renunciation of the faith. The clause, “after having received the knowledge of the truth,” was added for the purpose of aggravating ingratitude; for he who willingly and with deliberate impiety extinguishes the light of God kindled in his heart has nothing to allege as an excuse before God. We should learn not only to receive with reverence and prompt docility of mind the truth offered to us, but also firmly to persevere in the knowledge of it, so that we may not suffer the terrible punishment of those who despise it.

The apostle plainly expresses, that as persons, by a voluntary relinquishment of the gospel, did forfeit all their interest in the sacrifice of Christ, as he further declares, verse 29, so there was no way appointed for the relief of them by the expiation of their sin for ever.

Consider John Owen on Hebrews 10:26...

The first thing which the apostle chargeth as an aggravation of this sin is, that it cannot be expiated, “There remaineth no more sacrifice for sins;” — words not unlike those of God concerning the house of Eli, 1 Sa 3:14, “I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli’s house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offering for ever.” An allusion is had herein unto the sacrifices of the law. As there were certain sins which — from their nature, as murder, adultery, blasphemy; or from the manner of their commission, with obstinacy and a high hand — had no sacrifice allowed for them, but those that were so guilty were to be “cut off” from the people of God, and to “die without mercy,” as the apostle declares his own mind, verse 28: so is it with them that thus “sin willingly;” there is no relief appointed for them, no means for the expiation of their sin. But yet there is an especial reason of this severity under the gospel, which the apostle hath principal respect unto. And this is, that there is now no multiplication or repetition of sacrifices for sin. That of Christ, our high priest, was “offered once for all;” henceforth “he dieth no more,’” he is offered no more, nor can there be any other sacrifice offered for ever.
    And also Matthew Henry:

From the description he gives of the sin of apostasy. It is sinning wilfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, sinning wilfully against that truth of which we have had convincing evidence. This text has been the occasion of great distress to some gracious souls; they have been ready to conclude that every wilful sin, after conviction and against knowledge, is the unpardonable sin: but this has been their infirmity and error. The sin here mentioned is a total and final apostasy, when men with a full and fixed will and resolution despise and reject Christ, the only Saviour, - despise and resist the Spirit, the only sanctifier, - and despise and renounce the gospel, the only way of salvation, and the words of eternal life; and all this after they have known, owned, and professed, the Christian religion, and continue to do so obstinately and maliciously. This is the great transgression: the apostle seems to refer to the law concerning presumptuous sinners, Num 15:30, Num 15:31. They were to be cut off.

From the dreadful doom of such apostates:

(1.) There remains no more sacrifice for such sins, no other Christ to come to save such sinners; they sin against the last resort and remedy. There were some sins under the law for which no sacrifices were provided; but yet if those who committed them did truly repent, though they might not escape temporal death, they might escape eternal destruction; for Christ would come, and make atonement. But now those under the gospel who will not accept of Christ, that they may be saved by him, have no other refuge left them.

(2.) There remains for them only a certain fearful looking for of judgment, Heb 10:27. Some think this refers to the dreadful destruction of the Jewish church and state; but certainly it refers also to the utter destruction that awaits all obstinate apostates at death and judgment, when the Judge will discover a fiery indignation against them, which will devour the adversaries; they will be consigned to the devouring fire and to everlasting burnings. Of this destruction God gives some notorious sinners, while on earth, a fearful foreboding in their own consciences, a dreadful looking for it, with a despair of ever being able either to endure or escape it.
    God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I do these things during the day, I confess before the Lord at night, ask the Lord to forgive my sins. I know that I don't act to the will of the Lord. But I don't have the power to do what is right. As the Bible says, “For I am conscious that in me, that is, in my flesh, there is nothing good: I have the mind but not the power to do what is right.”(bbe Roman 7:18) If I continue doing these, there is no more offering for sins. What can I do? I am really confused.
      Hi Jen - Will's comment is on target concerning the passage you used concerns apostates, which I understand as those who were nominal Christians (called themselves Christians, e.g. in name only), for if they were born again they would not "willfully sin." The centric instruction here is intentionally sinning without regard to God, and such is sin of unregenerate ones. Those born again know who they are as the Spirit confirms in each one (Rom 8:16), and one of the primary evidences is the hatred and undesirability to sin. Nobody born again desires to sin, though as you've pointed out, we cannot keep from unwillfull sins.

As we continue to "grow up into Him" (Eph 4:15) our lifestyles reflect and manifest more all the time the life of the Lord Jesus (we see God continually at work, regardless the situations - Phil 2:13; Gal 5:17) within as the Spirit progressively "conforms" us (Rom 8:29; 2Co 3:18), so patience and Word-study is the key for accelerating all this.
      Comment>

"Go and sin no more"
        Comment>

Since Adam and Eve sinned, people had become sinners. In the Age of Law, people could be atoned by offering sacrifices. In the Age of Grace, people can pray for seeking the Lord's forgiveness of sins. The Bible says,“For if we do evil on purpose after we have had the knowledge of what is true, there is no more offering for sins.”(bbe Hebrews 10:26) Reading the Bible verse, I think of my present situation: When I go to the supermarket to buy something, I will take the free plastic bags home secretly; When my friend needs some help, sometimes I tell a lie saying that I am busy now. When my parents treat me with bad attitude, I do not have patience……I do these things during the day, I confess before the Lord at night, ask the Lord to forgive my sins. I know that I don't act to the will of the Lord. But I don't have the power to do what is right. As the Bible says, “For I am conscious that in me, that is, in my flesh, there is nothing good: I have the mind but not the power to do what is right.”(bbe Roman 7:18) If I continue doing these, there is no more offering for sins. What can I do? I am really confused.

Jennifer

Recognize that the writer of Hebrews (Paul) is comparing the continual offer of sacrifices under the law with the once sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Under the law you must continue to bring sacrifices when you sin. Under grace, the new testament, you no longer bring a sacrifice every time you sin. The One, Christ, is sufficient for all your sin. You are covered. Your confession and prayer to God for forgiveness is accepted. Read Heb. 10:18 with 10:26. "Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. "

Ship Alone
          Comment>

I believe it's also important to acknowledge that when Scripture is discussing "sin," i.e "take away sin," it is in reference to the eradication of its guilt (Rom 8:1) and dominion (6:12, 14), but never its source, which is "the old man" or, the sinful nature. I believe this source remains for the same reason it began--to manifest the holiness of God's glory in expiating guilt and rule in the presence of sin.
            Comment>

Hi Jennifer,

*we* do not "get rid of sin". Jesus dealt with our sin already, in totality.

Our job is to trust Jesus first of all, and rest in His finished work on our behalf.

Next, our job is to put to death our ego (what the Bible calls our "flesh" or "the old man"). So when Paul says "in my flesh there's nothing good" he really means that his ego is not able to obey God and do what is right. Because our ego keeps us self-focused and always stuck on ourselves. Our ego is full of lust and always about "me, me, me, mine, mine, mine." So "putting the old man to death" means that when self-absorbed attitudes crop up, we have to choose to not focus on them because they're always going to lead us into trouble. See, our ego can't connect itself to God because it's been corrupted by lust. So if we listen to our ego all the time, we can never get rid of the guilt cycle because our ego doesn't know how to act right, and can never act right. So we have to give it over and be done with it. We have to choose the opposite.

LOVE is the opposite of our ego with its lust problem, because love looks for what it can do for OTHERS, instead of looking what it can get from them. Love is the cure for our ego problems, because it helps us follow in the footsteps of Jesus, who didn't live for His ego, but who gave His life for other people and who came to serve them, rather than being served Himself.

God didn't put you here for you. He put you here for other people. God didn't put me here for me. He put me here for other people.

So every day you and I have to choose between love and our ego, and our conscience will ALWAYS let us know if we made the right choice. That's how we grow up, see? We choose love every day and listen to our conscience rather than our ego. God gave you that conscience, and He is using it to guide you through life decisions.

When we choose God's way like that, we will be given the power to do what is right. That's why Paul said "thank God for Jesus Christ our Lord" in Romans 8, because he knew that it was not by Paul's power that Paul was going to do anything right, but by God's power, as Paul chose to look to Jesus and follow His example, rather than Paul looking at himself and his own failures and lack of power to do the right thing and becoming discouraged.

Your conscience seems to be very tender and troubles you a lot, so you should definitely listen to it, and trust God that you will always have what you need in life, without you having to lie, sin and scheme to get it. You have a Father God who loves you and who promised to always care for you, so just trust Him to do so, every day. God always keeps His promises to us. Because He is awesome like that.

Of course, if we sin, we do have forgiveness available to us, always. 1 John tells us so. But we don't have to sin to begin with. We can always ask God's help to give us the power to do what is right. But we have to choose to ask, rather than trusting ourselves to handle situations that tempt us to give in to our ego.

If your friend wants help and you can't do it at that time, then just be honest about it. No reason to lie. If someone is your friend, they'll understand that we can't always be there every time they want something. That's just life. So you just help him/her next time you can actually do it.

The bag situation is easily handled by you choosing to trust God with your needs rather than trusting in your own power to meet your own needs. If God decides you need extra baggies, then He will make a way for you to have them without taking them dishonestly. You could buy a supply of small trash bags so you always have extra bags on hand when you need them, for example. Your parent situation -- well, you already know that we are to honor our parents, so just show them respect, and if you feel challenged, ask God to help you BEFORE you run out of patience.
              Comment>

[SIZE=14px][SIZE=12px][FONT=arial]Hi Danih,[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]
                [SIZE=12px][FONT=arial]Thanks for your reply. From your reply I understand that only replying on the Lord can we prevail over sin. Sometimes by praying to the Lord, I remember the Lord's words, so I have the power to prevail over sin. However,sometimes I fail to do it. So I feel confused, then I think about the problem of “How can we get rid of sin?” I will continue seeking the truth. Could you share your experiences of prevailing over sin with me?

God bless you[/FONT][/SIZE]
                Comment>

I'm not sure what you mean by "prevailing over sin." Do you mean the command God gave to Cain when he said that sin was crouching at Cain's door, but Cain had to master it? Anyway, that's Old Testament. There is a statement in Hebrews about setting aside sin. So, since we live in the New Covenant, here is how you set sin aside (and it's actually quite simple -- although not always easy): The context in which you describe your struggle has everything to do with your focus being on YOURSELF, rather than on JESUS. That is the EXACT SAME focus Paul describes in Romans 6 and 7 where it's all about Paul struggling with himself, and his focus is on himself, and it's making Paul miserable to the point of driving him to despair, even ("oh wretched man that I am!"). The answer for pulling you out of your misery is to STOP focusing on yourself and your sin, and to instead CHOOSE to focus on JESUS, who will teach you how to love other people better. You can either love, OR you can sin; but you can't do BOTH. When you love another person, you are not sinning against them, so the answer to sin is always love, which is our greatest commandment. In my personal life, on the days I choose to focus on Jesus and on how I can love other people better, I don't worry about sin because I'm too busy doing the opposite of sin (which, again, is love). So maybe that helps you. :)
                  Comment>

Originally posted by DaniH View Post
                    I'm not sure what you mean by "prevailing over sin." Do you mean the command God gave to Cain when he said that sin was crouching at Cain's door, but Cain had to master it? Anyway, that's Old Testament. There is a statement in Hebrews about setting aside sin. So, since we live in the New Covenant, here is how you set sin aside (and it's actually quite simple -- although not always easy): The context in which you describe your struggle has everything to do with your focus being on YOURSELF, rather than on JESUS. That is the EXACT SAME focus Paul describes in Romans 6 and 7 where it's all about Paul struggling with himself, and his focus is on himself, and it's making Paul miserable to the point of driving him to despair, even ("oh wretched man that I am!"). The answer for pulling you out of your misery is to STOP focusing on yourself and your sin, and to instead CHOOSE to focus on JESUS, who will teach you how to love other people better. You can either love, OR you can sin; but you can't do BOTH. When you love another person, you are not sinning against them, so the answer to sin is always love, which is our greatest commandment. In my personal life, on the days I choose to focus on Jesus and on how I can love other people better, I don't worry about sin because I'm too busy doing the opposite of sin (which, again, is love). So maybe that helps you.
                    “[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Prevail over sin” means not committing a sin. For example, when encountering temptation, one prays to God, asking God to give his strength and faith, then he doesn't fall into temptation, avoiding committing a sin. Do you know what I say? You suggest choosing to focus on Jesus, I will try it. Meanwhile I also care for the problem of sinful nature. If we have new knowledge, we could communicate more. [/FONT]
                    Comment>

Ok here goes one of my specialities, Hebrews was written for,,,,,,,you guessed it, Hebrews, who were considering going back to Judaism because of persecution, what Paul was speaking of was not condemnation but the superiority of Christs sacrifice over the "dead works" of the law, basically if we do sin we have an advocate with the father and Christs blood covers all sins that you are willing to put under His precious blood, and there is no more forgiveness in animal sacrifice because the ultimate superior sacrifice had come, Christ came ONCE, for ALL.and the old system "dead works" were done away with.

Who here thinks you have to completely stop sinning before you're acceptable for forgiveness, that's the law and works, ALL sin is willful sin, yes we are to live a holy life as much as is possible but until Christ returns we will all still be human, subject to evil desires of the human body and yes we can overcome it but that takes time, and also God looks at the heart, He knows our motives.

Now that's not a license to sin by no means but there is always forgiveness.

1 John 1:9 says"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness"., notice the ALL, isn't that just beautiful, from the person who told only one lie to the politician who cant stop, the pervert, the racist, and the murderer, ALL, Gods beautiful grace and mercy are so abundant and just awesome that I just don't care to sin anymore, once you see Gods mercy and grace and understand it, repentance is much easier, I better stop before I break out in a full sermon at 2am.
                      Comment>

JSB gave great advice.

Paul who many consider the greatest Apostle of Jesus Christ share in your problem. Just read Romans 7:15-23; and you will see that he states that the good that he would do he does not, and the evil that he would not do he does. In all honesty I think all believers in Christ Jesus have this problem. But after stating this problem Paul gives the answer:

24) O wretched man that i am! Who shall deliver me form the body of this death?
                        25) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
                        Romans 7:24-25

Paul also states to become righteous in God's eyes all we have to do is accept the gift of His Son Jesus Christ who never sinned but became sin for us sinners, for speaking of Jesus, Paul stated:

For He hath made Him to be sin for us, Who knew no sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him.
                        II Corinthians 5:21

Comment>

The Lord Jesus' precious blood has covered our sins, but sinful nature has taken root deeply in our bodies. We all sin by day and confess by night, and we have no choice but to live in this situation and have no way to get rid of sins that control and tie up our bodies. It is said in the Bible, “For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.”(Hebrews 10:26) (kjv) so the problem of sinful nature has to be solved. In addition, when the Lord Jesus comes, we can't imagine what will happen. Just it is said in the Bible, "Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen."(Revelation 1:7) (kjv) What do you think of?
                          Comment>

Originally posted by JSB View Post
                            Ok here goes one of my specialities, Hebrews was written for,,,,,,,you guessed it, Hebrews, who were considering going back to Judaism because of persecution, what Paul was speaking of was not condemnation but the superiority of Christs sacrifice over the "dead works" of the law, basically if we do sin we have an advocate with the father and Christs blood covers all sins that you are willing to put under His precious blood, and there is no more forgiveness in animal sacrifice because the ultimate superior sacrifice had come, Christ came ONCE, for ALL.and the old system "dead works" were done away with.

Who here thinks you have to completely stop sinning before you're acceptable for forgiveness, that's the law and works, ALL sin is willful sin, yes we are to live a holy life as much as is possible but until Christ returns we will all still be human, subject to evil desires of the human body and yes we can overcome it but that takes time, and also God looks at the heart, He knows our motives.

Now that's not a license to sin by no means but there is always forgiveness.

1 John 1:9 says"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness"., notice the ALL, isn't that just beautiful, from the person who told only one lie to the politician who cant stop, the pervert, the racist, and the murderer, ALL, Gods beautiful grace and mercy are so abundant and just awesome that I just don't care to sin anymore, once you see Gods mercy and grace and understand it, repentance is much easier, I better stop before I break out in a full sermon at 2am.

Hi JSB, can you share your knowledge of the following Bible verse,"Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen."(Revelation 1:7) (kjv)?
                            Comment>

so the problem of sinful nature has to be solved.
                              It is solved. Why do you think man's days are numbered?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap