Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

A Question from a Christian non-Catholic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question from a Christian non-Catholic

I’m surprised by some religions not my own. In Islam for instance, anyone that draws a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammad should be killed. I suppose then that, for Muslims, anything perceived as an insult to Islam should be retaliated against with the most extreme forms of violence. So I want to know, how would Catholics react to a non-Catholic wearing a papal robe and cap in public?

Roman Catholics are so deficient in the department of reverence that I don't think they'd hardly care about someone mocking their "holy father", beyond some lamenting about anti-Catholic bigotry. Of course, if they had reverence, they wouldn't mock God by calling a man their "holy father."

I don't believe Islam has a prohibition against drawing Muhammad. They have a prohibition against blasphemy. which, for them, includes irreverent depictions of Muhammad. You should understand that Islam is a kind of Christian cult (Muslims nominally accept Jesus as a messiah). The nature of a Christian cult is that they emphases and misuse verses they they claim the rest of the Christian world is ignoring. Islam is a Christian cult that claims that other Christians don't follow the Old Testament. As such, Islam maintains animal sacrifice. And, a lot of that brutality they're accused of, they get from the Old Testament (by way of the Koran). The Old Testament teaches that blasphemy is punishable by death, Leviticus 24:16.

A better question than why are Muslims so intolerant of blasphemy, is why are Christians so tolerant of blasphemy? Every movie I see above a G-rating, I can expect some blasphemy. Most R movies have a lot of of blasphemy. And, Christians hardly have a word to say about it.

I recently binge watched the TV show Sons of Anarchy. It's about a motorcycle club that deals guns. After hearing so much blasphemy in it, I did a little research. Someone counted the number of times it abusively uses the phrase "Jesus Christ." In the series, 244 times! Imagine if they said the n-word even one time abusively. Christians would be lining up to condemn the "vile racism". TV shows and movies won't even say [email protected] anymore.

I just watched the Disney movie Tomorrowland. It's pretty good in some ways. It's just rated PG. One movie review states: "H---" gets flung around in this PG Disney movie at least a half-dozen times, "d--n" three times.... God's name is misused a handful of times.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
      ... .why are Christians so tolerant of blasphemy?
      Probably because of the laws of the land. Islam has Sharia law... . whereas Christian theocracy is just about non existent today. It wasn't long ago in our past where heretics were burned at the stake as a form of capital punishment. The only countries that have laws resembling that of a Christian theocracy today are Uganda, and in some ways Russia is beginning to lean towards it. I know that it is a stretch but those two countries come to mind...

God bless,
      William

Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
        Probably because of the laws of the land. Islam has Sharia law...
        Legality and tolerance are two different things. In America, it's legal to use insulting language of blacks, homosexuals, and anyone. But, our society doesn't tolerate the use of insulting language of blacks, homosexuals, and a few other groups. But, our society tolerates, even revels in, insulting language toward Christianity. The difference isn't that we lack Sharia law,

Most liberal movie reviewers will foam at the mouth at a movie perceived to be guilty of homophobia. But, Christian movie reviewers just count up swearing, along with other foul language, as a mere statistic. That's an example of the difference.
        Comment>

When someone from another religion does something that is offending to the Catholics, there would be that normal reaction of condemnation. But I don't think violence will be there since Catholics, like all other Christians, espouse peace and kindness. That Charlie Hebdo incident where the Muslims attacked the office of the cartoon strip is outrageously over-acting. However, I understand that Muslims have a different orientation when it comes to peace because they have the so called jihad, that is to kill in defense of their religion. So when the Pope is being ridiculed, I don't expect that people will be harmed for those offending acts.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Zog Has-fallen View Post
            I’m surprised by some religions not my own. In Islam for instance, anyone that draws a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammad should be killed. I suppose then that, for Muslims, anything perceived as an insult to Islam should be retaliated against with the most extreme forms of violence. So I want to know, how would Catholics react to a non-Catholic wearing a papal robe and cap in public?
            Several years ago I was in London when a Gay Pride march went past. One person was dressed as a caricature of the Pope.

Then there is the annual "pope burning" in Lewes
            Click image for larger version

Name:	lewes_zpsnw5vjzfi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	14359

I'd like to see them do that with Muhammed
            Comment>

This is where the conflicts start I guess. For Muslims, they are very respectful of their traditions and teachings about Islam. And in the case you presented, it is the reason why any form of disrespect to their prophet is prohibited and once you do disrespect their prophet, expect some harsh punishment. This also goes with the issue of those extremists who would do anything to preserve their religion. Sometimes, it also happens that these extremists have way different interpretations of their religion's teachings than other people.

Anyway, to answer your question, if I see someone wearing a pope's robe as a form or mockery, I would be shocked and disgusted with his actions. I don't think there are any laws at all that enable our religious leaders to punish anyone who disrespects our religion. In a way, it's a bit confusing because we all know that this is a form of disrespect and it humiliates our leaders. And it's not only through this, I cannot count the number of times I've heard Jesus' name or God's name in television shows as well. And they use these words in demeaning manners as well.

But like others, it only shocked me. I would say that not a lot of people would be shocked as well since it has been the norm nowadays for such shows to use our God's name. So in a sense, it has become quite normal and injected into everyday life that we don't seem to notice it much anymore especially with certain Hollywood shows or movies. I can vouch for that since here in my country, not a lot of shows use the Lord's name in demeaning manners. And I certainly haven't seen anyone who's not a pope wearing a pope's robe as well.
              Comment>

I think since Christians are more of a majority in most places, we get to be the "butt" of the jokes and we don't have the right to be upset about it. Same goes for racial jokes against white people, they can't really get mad because apparently they are not minorities. Same goes for religion, and as sad as it is that people can joke about Christians and their beliefs, it would be a great crime if the opposite happens and a Christian would insult a Muslim or a Jew, because they are the minorities and nothing they do apparently warrants anything more than a chuckle, but if the majority does it, it would be seen as a great insult. Welcome to the world, and I don't think we can fix that part of our society any time soon.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap