Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

The Showcase Doctrines and Secret Beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Showcase Doctrines and Secret Beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church

    I am a Millerite Adventist and a recent former Seventh-day Adventist. If you have any questions about the Adventist faith, I’d be happy to answer.

  • #2
    Why did you become a Millerite Adventist?
    Comment>

    • #3
      I was a persona non grata in the Seventh-day Adventist church for 18 years. The disapproval of others had no effect on my theological convictions. In my mind, I was a deeply committed Seventh-day Adventist with an extreme confidence that my religious beliefs were correct. In the 18th year of my exile, I was confronted with an elementary mathematical proof of Shubert's International Date Line Theorem. My reaction to the elementary high school reasoning was life-changing. I was literally emotionally devastated for months.

      The unavoidable existence of an International Date Line and its theological implications was well understood since the 12th century. "You could end up with two people standing right next to each other, where for one the Sabbath is starting and for the other it is ending!" And there is more to the problem for those who believe that the Sabbath can be extended into the New Testament era and defined everywhere on a round earth. To mere mortals, the location of an International Date Line is completely arbitrary. So if Seventh-day Adventists are to continue to keep a weekly Sabbath wherever they may live on earth in perpetuity, then they must face the fact that some Seventh-day Adventists must have a problem deciding if a Sabbath day is starting or ending since the Bible gives no hint to determine where God’s intended Date Line should be.

      Authentic Millerite Adventism is the only place for conscientious Adventists to go once they realize that God instituted the Sabbath so that it would eventually become obsolete. As mysterious as it sounds, the Sabbath was obviously meant to foreshadow a New Covenant.
      Last edited by Zog Has-fallen; 09-22-2015, 05:38 AM.
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by Zog Has-fallen View Post
        the Bible gives no hint to determine where God’s intended Date Line should be.

        You could start with making Jerusalem the international date line. You could count keeping Saturday, regardless of where the date line is, as doing all you can to keep the 7th day.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by Zog Has-fallen View Post
          the Sabbath was obviously meant to foreshadow a New Covenant.
          I do not understand how you say this. I am perhaps ignorant on this point, but I don't see the Sabbath going away. It is Saturday, and we worship Sundays to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ each Sunday of the year.
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by Stratcat View Post

            I do not understand how you say this. I am perhaps ignorant on this point, but I don't see the Sabbath going away. It is Saturday, and we worship Sundays to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ each Sunday of the year.
            Zog is referring to Typology, thus, the seventh-day Sabbath was a type and foreshadowing of the “rest of grace” believers experience through faith in Christ within the NT Covenant. Typology Fulfillment is found in Jesus' fulfillment of the Sabbath Command of the Old Testament. Typological Fulfillment is when a passage we read in the Old Testament has a divine ending. In other words the events are not just repeated but enhanced and intensified.

            If you wish to know more or learn about Typology: The Hermeneutics of Eschatology and The Church and Old Testament Typology

            God bless,
            William
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
              I don't see the Sabbath going away. It is Saturday, and we worship Sundays to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ each Sunday of the year.
              The unavoidable existence of an International Date Line also makes believing in Sunday Sacredness an absurd fiction. You could end up with a church being built right on the Date Line with half the church assembled to worship God on the Sabbath and the other half being there to worship God on Sunday with both factions hearing the same sermon simultaneously.



              Comment>

              • #8
                By your logic, why believe in any day of the week? Further, God calls day and night relative to the location He is referring to, although He doesn't come out and exactly say that, how else could time be kept? He knows the world rotates and is round. The argument seems to me to exist for its own sake and without real merit.
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by William View Post
                  Name "ONE" leftist Creedal or Confessional church that attest to the inerrancy of God's Word.
                  The Confessing Millerite Adventists have a creed (The Fundamental Beliefs of Millerite Adventists, Circa 2015); you would label them leftist because you label me leftist and we joyfully affirm that God's word is "God-breathed" (2 Timothy 3:16) because that is what Scripture affirms.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Zog Has-fallen View Post
                    The Confessing Millerite Adventists have a creed (The Fundamental Beliefs of Millerite Adventists, Circa 2015); you would label them leftist because you label me leftist and we joyfully affirm that God's word is "God-breathed" (2 Timothy 3:16) because that is what Scripture affirms.
                    Do they affirm/confess the Nicene Creed? I am not asking whether they have a creed unto themselves, but rather if they affirm/confess a universal creed which largely makes them Christian?
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by William View Post

                      Do they affirm/confess the Nicene Creed? I am not asking whether they have a creed unto themselves, but rather if they affirm/confess a universal creed which largely makes them Christian?
                      Confessing Millerite Adventists have no weighty objections to the Nicene Creed. We just believe that our creed is superior. We also assert that mere assent to the truth doesn't make anyone a Christian.

                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Zog Has-fallen View Post
                        Confessing Millerite Adventists have no weighty objections to the Nicene Creed. We just believe that our creed is superior. We also assert that mere assent to the truth doesn't make anyone a Christian.
                        So do the JW's. They profess themselves Christian and believe themselves superior. You answered my question and verified my point. I did not ask whether they have any "weighty" objection but whether they affirm/confess it. The points made in the Nicene Creed are a test of Orthodoxy. To reject any part of it is to reject one's profession and understanding of essential doctrine. The Nicene Creed is a non-negotiable profession. All true denominations agree upon this essential creed. This is what separates denominations from sects and cults.
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Originally posted by William View Post
                          The points made in the Nicene Creed are a test of Orthodoxy. To reject any part of it is to reject one's profession and understanding of essential doctrine. The Nicene Creed is a non-negotiable profession. All true denominations agree upon this essential creed. This is what separates denominations from sects and cults.
                          I don’t know of anyone that proudly affirms and openly confesses inferior statements of faith. But if one has no weighty objections to the Nicene Creed, then could you accept that as a tacit approval and an implied confession?

                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Zog Has-fallen View Post
                            I don’t know of anyone that proudly affirms and openly confesses inferior statements of faith. But if one has no weighty objections to the Nicene Creed, then could you accept that as a tacit approval and an implied confession?
                            No.

                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by William View Post

                              Do they affirm/confess the Nicene Creed?
                              Why should anyone affirm/confess terribly vague language? The Nicene Creed refers to the Son of God "being of one substance with the Father." Can you tell me what that means?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap