Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

One Catholic priest's perspective on the recent USA supreme court ruling on same sex marriage.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Catholic priest's perspective on the recent USA supreme court ruling on same sex marriage.

[SIZE=14px][FONT=trebuchet ms]Father Barron offers the following video clip as a perspective on the recent USA supreme court decision on same sex marriage.

[/FONT][/SIZE]

Very interesting. Persecution can be open and bloody or subtle and quiet.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post
      Very interesting. Persecution can be open and bloody or subtle and quiet.
      [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=14px]I do prefer to avoid the bloody kind. Being martyred is something that I would rather avoid by all means available short of abandoning the faith or betraying conscience.[/SIZE][/FONT]
      Comment>

The difference between open and bloody vs. subtle and quiet persecution is mainly a difference of sophistication.
        Comment>

[SIZE=12px][FONT=trebuchet ms]Clearly the Supreme Court decision is not persecution even if it is part of a system of wickedness and unbelief; but one ought to be slow to leap to conclusions.

Offering equality under the civil law to homosexual persons is a principle Christians ought to support. That is not to say that Christian sacramental marriage ought to be conformed to secualr society's view of equal treatment under the civil law of the land.[/FONT][/SIZE]
          Comment>

Originally posted by peppermint View Post
            [SIZE=12px][FONT=trebuchet ms]Clearly the Supreme Court decision is not persecution even if it is part of a system of wickedness and unbelief; but one ought to be slow to leap to conclusions.

Offering equality under the civil law to homosexual persons is a principle Christians ought to support. That is not to say that Christian sacramental marriage ought to be conformed to secualr society's view of equal treatment under the civil law of the land.[/FONT][/SIZE]
            Whenever you are punished for your beliefs or coerced to do things you don't approve of, that's persecution, whether they chop of your head or fine/jail you to gain compliance. Just because you support persecution doesn't make it not persecution. It just makes you a party to anti-Christian tyranny.

And, no "equality under the civil law" to something immoral and not equal is not something a Christian can support. Homosexuality is only harmful to society. The government has no legitimate business promoting it. Why do you thik the government supported heteosexual marriage in the first place? Just something government officials pulled out of their behinds one day?

One redeeming thing with the Supreme Court ruling is that it will help us sort out the goats from the sheep, of those claiming to be Christ's sheep.

Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms]I feel no persecution because of the USA supreme court's decision on same sex marriage.[/FONT]
              Comment>

[FONT=trebuchet ms]I feel no persecution because of the USA supreme court's decision on same sex marriage.[/FONT]
                In high school, I had a sort-of friend who liked the expression "You can't rape the willing."

Unfortunately, those who be can't raped for reasons of willingness don't mind others getting raped. But, I read in Revelation the saints praying for justice and God delivering the wicked to the lake of fire.
                Comment>

I feel no persecution because of the USA supreme court's decision on same sex marriage.
                  It's what it may lead to.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post

It's what it may lead to.
                    Yes, it may lead to that and so could the opposite decision; nations like Iran and others in the Islamic block of nations are inclined to both utterly ban homosexuality in all forms and to also make conversion from Islam to Christianity a capital crime. If times of persecution arise in the USA in the future it is hard to know from which side of worldly politics it will come and it may come from both. Persecution against the Lord Jesus Christ and his disciples arose under Roman rule and in Jerusalem under Jewish religious rule I suspect that both the Roman Emperor and the Jewish Sanhedren would be on the 'conservative' side of today's politicial spectrum.
                    Last edited by peppermint; 07-09-2015, 03:34 AM.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap