Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

How does one come to know God?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How does one come to know God?


    Using the written Word of God to come to know God is just not possible.

    (1 Corinthians 2:10-16) “These are the very things that God has revealed to us through the Spirit, for the Spirit reaches the depts. Of everything, even the depths of God. After all, the depths of a man can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other man, and in the same way the depths of God can only be known by the Spirit of God.---------“

    Jesus as quoted in the bible, said that we were not to store up treasures for one’s self.

    (Matthew 6:19) “Do not store up treasures for yourselves on earth, where moths and woodworms destroy them and thieves can break in and steal.”


    Jesus as quoted in the bible said to offer the evil person no resistance, and we were to love our enemies.

    (Matthew 5:38-48) “You have learnt how it was said: Eye for eye and tooth for tooth. But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance. On the contrary, if anyone hits you on the right cheek, offer him the other.”

    (Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance.”


    But as people do with the written word, they will often have much different understanding of what the author is telling them.

    There is only one way to come to know God, and that is to allow God to teach him or her.

    (1 John 2: 27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you; the anointing he gave teaches you everything: you are anointed with truth, not with a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

    My personal witness is that Jesus/Holy Spirit has been personally teaching me for over forty years.

    I hear God speaking to me. I have seen Jesus, and he has sat next to me, and had me open the bible that he used to show me that Christian are dead to sin.

    I believe/know that one can’t come to know God unless he or she allows God to teach him or her.


  • #2
    Originally posted by JohnLove View Post
    My personal witness is that Jesus/Holy Spirit has been personally teaching me for over forty years.

    I hear God speaking to me. I have seen Jesus, and he has sat next to me, and had me open the bible that he used to show me that Christian are dead to sin.

    I believe/know that one can’t come to know God unless he or she allows God to teach him or her.
    Hi John,

    How have you seen Jesus? How have you heard His voice?

    Are Christians dead to sin or were they dead in sin and trespass to God? Have you considered Ezekiel 36:25-27?

    "Allow" God to teach them? Can a dead man allow or deny anything? Can a dead man resist? Have you considered John 6:44-45?

    You ask the question, "How does one come to know God?"

    Lemme ask you, Jesus says in Matthew 7:21-23, "I never knew you".

    How does Jesus say that we can come to know Him? Does it suggest we can? Jesus is suggesting to not know all people, but reveals He actually knows much more. Seems that Jesus does know all people, some too well. Seems that some people are suggesting that they know Jesus. Some are casting out demons in Jesus' name, is that not the will of the Father? Exactly what does He mean?

    God bless,
    William
    Comment>

    • #3
      Originally posted by William View Post

      Hi John,

      How have you seen Jesus? How have you heard His voice?

      Are Christians dead to sin or were they dead in sin and trespass to God? Have you considered Ezekiel 36:25-27?

      "Allow" God to teach them? Can a dead man allow or deny anything? Can a dead man resist? Have you considered John 6:44-45?

      You ask the question, "How does one come to know God?"

      Lemme ask you, Jesus says in Matthew 7:21-23, "I never knew you".

      How does Jesus say that we can come to know Him? Does it suggest we can? Jesus is suggesting to not know all people, but reveals He actually knows much more. Seems that Jesus does know all people, some too well. Seems that some people are suggesting that they know Jesus. Some are casting out demons in Jesus' name, is that not the will of the Father? Exactly what does He mean?

      God bless,
      William

      First Jesus has given me seven different visions of him. In these vision, Jesus has shown me my walk with him. He started with me as a child, and walked me through all my life up to my death, and beyond.

      Jesus has appeared to me to give me a message that about something he has for me.

      Jesus has appeared to me to let me know that I needed to pray very hard to have Satan stop physically attacking me.

      Jesus has talked to me audibly, and in many other ways have I heard him. I know Jesus’ voice, and know it is God, because of the fruit produced.

      Christians are dead to sin, meaning that one no longer will commit any wrongdoing.

      (Romans 6: 11) “In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. ... “
      One who is in Jesus can’t sin. There is no sin in Jesus.
      (Romans 8: 4) “He did this in order that the law’s just demands might be satisfied in us, who behave not as our unspiritual nature but as the Spirit dictates.”

      If one allows him or herself to obey God, they will always do as the Holy Spirit directs. The Holy Spirit never would direct someone to do any wrongdoing.


      (Galatians 5:16“Let me put it like this if you are guided by the Spirit you will be in no danger of yielding to self-indulgence....”.

      Again Paul says if one allows him or herself to be guided by the Holy Spirit they will not sin.

      (Roman 6: 16-18) “Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.”

      A Christian is a slave of God’s, and not a slave of Satan/sin.

      (Matthew 7:21) “It is not those who say to me, ‘Lord, Lord’, who will enter the kingdom of Heaven but the person who does the will of My Father in Heaven. When the day comes many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, cast out demons in your name, work many miracles in your name?’ Then I shall tell them to their faces: I have never known you; away from me, you evil men!”

      Jesus let us know that he chooses not to even know those who do not live God’s Will.

      Can we understand God? We can’t understand how he cannot know those who choose not to obey him.
      John tells us that people who don’t obey God, by sinning have never seen God, nor know God. God told us he does not know such people either.

      (1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen him or known him.”




      Comment>

      • #4
        Hi John,

        Seems that you are indicating personal experience is a rule of interpretation? The question I have is whether we should go so far as to suggest Scripture should not determine the reality or truth of our personal experiences?

        God bless,
        William

        P.S. Your posts are difficult to read when using the bold font. I suggest not using it, but rather use the quote feature to highlight Scripture.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by JohnLove View Post
          Using the written Word of God to come to know God is just not possible.
          Hi John,

          In one sense you are correct, concerning your quote above. Ink on paper will not save anyone. But on the other hand "The Word of God is living and active..." (Hebrews 4:12)

          And elsewhere Paul states:
          "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “But the righteous man shall live by faith.” Rom 1.16-17

          "...a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul." (Acts 16:14)

          The verse from Acts 16:14 says that this person (Lydia) was a "worshiper of God". Well, that's not good enough, she needed to hear the Gospel. Paul could have spoken all day and night into eternity and what he spoke would have fallen on deaf ears, (to be sure that it did not effect some as it did Lydia) unless The Lord opened the heart (a new heart given) that she may respond in a saving way. Weather it is preached or picked up and read like Augustine it is clear that the accompaniment of the Holy Spirit is necessary to "come to know God" And its through preaching and or reading His Word.
          Comment>

          • #6
            Answer to the OP, by asking Him into your heart. "Ask and ye shall receive." Study the Scriptures...rightly dividing the word of truth. Fellowship with other believers, especially those above ourselves in Christ, whom we can trust.
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by Jason T V View Post


              Hi John,

              In one sense you are correct, concerning your quote above. Ink on paper will not save anyone. But on the other hand "The Word of God is living and active..." (Hebrews 4:12)

              And elsewhere Paul states:
              "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “But the righteous man shall live by faith.” Rom 1.16-17

              "...a worshiper of God, was listening; and the Lord opened her heart to respond to the things spoken by Paul." (Acts 16:14)

              The verse from Acts 16:14 says that this person (Lydia) was a "worshiper of God". Well, that's not good enough, she needed to hear the Gospel. Paul could have spoken all day and night into eternity and what he spoke would have fallen on deaf ears, (to be sure that it did not effect some as it did Lydia) unless The Lord opened the heart (a new heart given) that she may respond in a saving way. Weather it is preached or picked up and read like Augustine it is clear that the accompaniment of the Holy Spirit is necessary to "come to know God" And its through preaching and or reading His Word.

              Yes Paul said what you quoted, but Paul was not speaking about the New Testament was he?

              Also Paul never said Scripture would ever bring one to know God.

              I personally have been told by Jesus that the Christian Bible is God’s Written Word. Jesus also told me to get more into the written Word.

              The written Word tells us one can only come to know God from the Spirit of God.
              (1 Corinthians 2:10-16) “These are the very things that God has revealed to us through the Spirit, for the Spirit reaches the depts. Of everything, even the depths of God. After all, the depths of a man can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other man, and in the same way the depths of God can only be known by the Spirit of God.---------“

              (1 John 2: 27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you; the anointing he gave teaches you everything: you are anointed with truth, not with a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

              John told us that it was God who would teach us everything, and he did not mention the bible.

              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
                Answer to the OP, by asking Him into your heart. "Ask and ye shall receive." Study the Scriptures...rightly dividing the word of truth. Fellowship with other believers, especially those above ourselves in Christ, whom we can trust.
                Link.7" class="rtBibleRef">Matthew 7:7 - “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

                Right, pray (often), pray (sincerely), pray (earnestly). What shall we ask, seek, and find opened? Prayer is the appointed means by which we receive Grace to obey the precepts God had already given.

                Much of what John suggests I agree with. However, I find the personal experience rather distracting, but that's only my preference.

                JohnLove my questions actually are sincere and not to snare, but some of your responses lead me to wonder how can we take ourselves out of the center of our theology?

                God bless,
                William
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by JohnLove View Post


                  Yes Paul said what you quoted, but Paul was not speaking about the New Testament was he? (What does this mean?) Yes the book of Romans and Hebrews and Acts falls under the New Testament

                  Also Paul never said Scripture would ever bring one to know God. (Um yes actually he did "The gospel (God's word) is the power to save for all who believe.")

                  I personally have been told by Jesus that the Christian Bible is God’s Written Word. Jesus also told me to get more into the written Word. ( The only way you are told "personally" by Jesus is through His revealed word)

                  The written Word tells us one can only come to know God from the Spirit of God. (Yes you are correct just as I gave the text for this from Acts 16 "The Lord opened her heart")
                  (1 Corinthians 2:10-16) “These are the very things that God has revealed to us through the Spirit, for the Spirit searches the depts. Of everything, even the depths of God. After all, the depths of a man can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other man, and in the same way the depths of God can only be known by the Spirit of God.---------“

                  (1 John 2: 27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you; the anointing he gave teaches you everything: you are anointed with truth, not with a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

                  John told us that it was God who would teach us everything, and he did not mention the bible. (His Word (the bible) is the means to that salvation)
                  Sorry for the sloppy response but everything I responded to is in parenthesis and underlined
                  Last edited by Jason T V; 06-27-2015, 11:09 AM.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by William View Post

                    Matthew 7:7 - “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

                    Right, pray (often), pray (sincerely), pray (earnestly). What shall we ask, seek, and find opened? Prayer is the appointed means by which we receive Grace to obey the precepts God had already given.

                    Much of what John suggests I agree with. However, I find the personal experience rather distracting, but that's only my preference.

                    JohnLove my questions actually are sincere and not t snare, but some of your responses lead me to wonder how can we take ourselves out of the center of our theology?

                    God bless,
                    William
                    I don’t have a theology. What is shared by me is given to me by Jesus.

                    I am in Jesus, and he is in me. To share Jesus it is also necessary for me to share how the knowledge was given to me.

                    Everything that is done by me is led by Jesus.

                    Thirty-seven years ago this month Jesus told me a time was coming soon where man would suffer more than he has ever suffered. Jesus told me I was to give a word. He said out of that word a community would grow, he wanted a place of safety for his people.

                    My posting is just me doing what Jesus told me to do.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]Perhaps a film can tell how to know God.

                      [/SIZE][/FONT]
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by peppermint View Post
                        [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]Perhaps a film can tell how to know God.

                        [/SIZE][/FONT]


                        Sorry I personally never click on any link.
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JohnLove View Post



                          Sorry I personally never click on any link.
                          [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]Have faith; others will. God is merciful.[/SIZE][/FONT]
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by peppermint View Post

                            [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]Have faith; others will. God is merciful.[/SIZE][/FONT]
                            LOL
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by William View Post

                              LOL
                              [FONT=trebuchet ms][SIZE=16px]I hope you clicked on the link :)[/SIZE][/FONT]
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap