Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Are People in Hell Because of You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are People in Hell Because of You?

Apparently, God so loved the world that He left the proclamation of the gospel to flawed people who imperfectly delivered the message. Billions lived and died without ever hearing the message. Oops. Many millions didn't understand the message well enough to respond, and millions more saw Christians being hypocritical in some way, so they were "turned off" to Christianity by Christians.

All of these people God loved so deeply and dearly, yet they are all in Hell. That's the "gospel" according to most of evangelical Christianity.

Your "witness" is all that stands between a sinner and Hell, according to countless Christians, but is that the case?
    Last edited by thatbrian; 05-28-2017, 04:41 PM.

No because of themself
    Comment>

That is a narrow perspective isn't it?
      Comment>

I don't believe that anyone will be in hell because of 'me'. God is the only one who knows who will accept or reject Him -- 'I' will end up in hell only if I reject God's way of getting there. When a person accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Savior -- then they will be with Jesus Christ forever. Which means they will be in heaven for eternity. 'I' am not the only person who will share salvation with any particular person. If I Do experience God's leading to share Christ with a person but do not follow through with sharing with the person --God will allow someone else to be in their life so that they can hear and accept. But 'I' will also be missing a blessing. But no one's salvation is based on 'me' sharing salvation with them. Everyone's salvation Is based on what Jesus Christ has done for them on the cross. And their accepting that. But not on another person's 'good work' of sharing the gospel with another person.
        Comment>

Hi Masele and Sue D., I see you are both pretty new around here, so WELCOME TO CF :) I'm glad you found us!!

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David
          Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post
            All of these people God loved so deeply and dearly, yet they are all in Hell. That's the "gospel" according to most of evangelical Christianity.
            Hi Brian, it does seem hard to reconcile the belief that God "loves everyone" equally with events like the worldwide Flood (that killed all but eight of us). The image of the ark (that one of my online friends used recently to make his point about this very subject) floating away with a JESUS LOVES YOU bumper sticker attached to the back of it comes quickly to mind.

--David

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
            Comment>

God's Word Does say that the wages of sin Is Death. God provided the ark -- the gift of God was life through the ark. The 'wages of sin' for the people in Noah's time - was death - physical death by drowning. And God so loved / still does love the world -- that He gave His only son on the cross. And rose again for us.

I consider myself to be an Evangelic Christian and don't think that way. We are finite -- God is infinite. God has given us the Gospel unto salvation to share with everyone who will listen and accept it. It's a good thing we don't know who is pre-chosen not to or we'd be really tempted to not worry about 'them'. So we care about Everyone.
              Comment>

You're right Sue, we cannot know who the elect are before they've become Christians, which is one of the reasons that the command , "preach the Gospel to every creature", was given to us, yes .. Mark 16:15

Comment>

To thatbrian -- no one knows who will be in hell. And no one knows who will be in heaven until we get there. And the person who Does 'end up in hell' -- since Revelation talks about 'utter darkness' -- chances are they won't be aware of who the other's are. Unless they'll be able to hear the pain of agony. Every person Can make sure of their own salvation Now.
                  Comment>

John 16:8 "And when he comes(the Holy spirit), he will convict the world of its sin, and of God's righteousness, and of the coming judgment." From that verse we can see that our Job is just to preach the truth,it is not our job to ensure they believe every word.our job is just to preach the truth the best we can, and leave it up to the holy slirit to convict the person we are preaching to.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by andres_rafael29
                      John 16:8 "And when he comes(the Holy spirit), he will convict the world of its sin, and of God's righteousness, and of the coming judgment." From that verse we can see that our Job is just to preach the truth,it is not our job to ensure they believe every word.our job is just to preach the truth the best we can, and leave it up to the holy slirit to convict the person we are preaching to.
                      Ultimately Salvation is in His hands, the fact that we feel like we wanto/need to pray is because of the holy spirit. The fact that we feel so guilty after sinning is proof that the Holy spirit lives in us and has convicted us about our sins. A person that doesnt live in the Holy spirit will not think about there sins and will not feel convicted at all. When you preach, they will feel convicted only if the Holy spirit moves within them. No matter how Good your preaching is, it is impossible to convince people to make them believe without the help of the Holy Spirit. We cannot and are not supposed to do it on our own. In everything rely on him.
                      Comment>

I don't want anybody to be in hell just because of me. People go to heaven or hell because of their action. No one can push anyone to hell or heaven. It is God who is supreme judge, only He can judge our action. We are nothing but just a puppet.
                        Comment>

Only God knows what is in someone's hearts. A person can spread the Gospel, but whether their listeners hear and respond is between those listeners and God. You must also wonder how many of those people who drive people away from churchs are actually Christian. Is a church that shuts its doors to those below a certain income level or uses a dress code to exclude the poor really preaching God's Word?

A human has no power to condemn another to hell, that is God's judgement and in His hands. We may lead one another into sin or despair, but God knows whether that was done deliberately or if it was a mistake with no malice meant, or the result of a tragic misinterpretation, and he will judge accordingly.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
                            Is a church that shuts its doors to those below a certain income level or uses a dress code to exclude the poor really preaching God's Word?
                            Such a church, at the very least, is choosing to act in a sinful manner before God.

James 2
                            1 My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism.
                            2 For if a man comes into your assembly with a gold ring and dressed in fine clothes, and there also comes in a poor man in dirty clothes,
                            3 and you pay special attention to the one who is wearing the fine clothes, and say, “You sit here in a good place,” and you say to the poor man, “You stand over there, or sit down by my footstool,”
                            4 have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil motives?
                            5 Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?
                            6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and personally drag you into court?
                            7 Do they not blaspheme the fair name by which you have been called?
                            8 If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF,” you are doing well.
                            9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

Do you know of churches that do such things?

Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee View Post

Hi Brian, it does seem hard to reconcile the belief that God "loves everyone" equally with events like the worldwide Flood (that killed all but eight of us). The image of the ark (that one of my online friends used recently to make his point about this very subject) floating away with a JESUS LOVES YOU bumper sticker attached to the back of it comes quickly to mind.

--David
                              Good point, David.

I've been pondering just how unjust the Arminian and Pelegian systems are. If God works in a manner in which they claim, there is severe injustice in His actions, as all people don't have equal opportunity to Hera, understand, and respond to, the gospel.

A Calvinist insists that God has mercy on some and is just with the rest. People may not like that, but there is no injustice in it.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap