Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

A question about change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about change

Hi. I have been thinking a lot about the change I have experienced since coming to Christ. I was wondering what the source of this change is. Have I been changed directly by God or has a relationship with Him influenced me to become happier and more moral? Just as good relationships with other people can change you for the better, is it so with God? Or has God reached down and changed me directly? If God has changed me directly, does that not interfere with my free will?

Originally posted by Rob View Post
    Hi. I have been thinking a lot about the change I have experienced since coming to Christ. I was wondering what the source of this change is. Have I been changed directly by God or has a relationship with Him influenced me to become happier and more moral? Just as good relationships with other people can change you for the better, is it so with God? Or has God reached down and changed me directly? If God has changed me directly, does that not interfere with my free will?
    Hi Rob,

This is an extremely educational resource. I recommend taking the time to watch it. You'll be presented with a historical timeline of the Church and some of the greatest debates from Theological minds on your subject matter: Amazing Grace - The History and Theology of Calvinism -Christforums

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Since nobody changes unless they want to change, God has not interfered with your free will. Are the changes an improvement in your opinion? It kind of sounds like you're getting hassled by people who know you...

Christians change because we want the changes the Bible says are changes we should be making. I personally was delighted at the Biblical concept of what is right what is wrong and why, still am and always will be. When someone has a problem with me becomming a better person for that, I do question their motives among other things...
      Comment>

Hi Meg. I think the only person hassling me is...me. So does the change come from the influence of the Bible? For me the changes began before I started reading the Bible. I have also not entirely changed despite desperately wanting certain things about me to change. I find myself still struggling with these problems. I'm very confused about these issues.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Rob View Post
          Hi Meg. I think the only person hassling me is...me. So does the change come from the influence of the Bible? For me the changes began before I started reading the Bible. I have also not entirely changed despite desperately wanting certain things about me to change. I find myself still struggling with these problems. I'm very confused about these issues.
          Rob, I changed by reading the Bible and learning to live by what it said was right and wrong. My primary influence was the New Testament letters by Paul, Peter and John. The changes came gradually, it took practice, prayer and getting used to, and it took years.

People seem to think we become perfect Christians overnight without trying... Nothing could be further from the truth! When people have asked me over the years how Sanctification works, I usually tell them -- and you too, take something the Bible says you should be doing that you don't usually do and try to make it work. Give small changes time to feel normal, and don't be surprised when you blow it, because that is going to happen. That's where Grace comes in. Jesus Christ covers us with a lot of Grace, and encourages us with a lot of second chances. He tried being human Himself, although He wasn't born in sin like we are. He's got a lot of compassion because He really does know how it can be in this life.

I went through this process myself, and my husband has been going through this process too. We have both changed a lot for the better, but it does take a long time. Remember what I said about prayer, it is so important. I have had some really bad days when I really blew it, and then had to go into some very candid very private prayer. These have also been some of the most profound encounters with Jesus Christ, because He is very much alive and He has ways of letting each of us in our own way know it's real.

The most important thing you can do is read the Bible, and when you hit the thing that seems outrageous, unreasonable or plain impossible, start praying about it. My husband did a lot of that, and he's had some really profound breakthroughs and developed a really deep relationship with the Lord through those things. It was a little different for me, because the life I had been living had failed so badly I had let my guard down completely for Jesus and just so needed something that could make sense.

We all come to this in different ways, and the Lord deals with each of us as the individuals we are, so some of what I am trying to explain may sound a little vague, but the fundamentals, Bible reading, trying to live the way God is asking us to live and praying about it is the same for all of us. It really does work. Some changes and relief comes fast, some comes slow, but if we stay faithful to Christ, He will stay faithful to us, and His opinion of each of us is much more loving and beautiful than we ever guessed possible, trust me. It's an amazing journey, and I will keep you in my prayers that you discover what I am trying to describe.

God Bless, Meg
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap