Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Are you an Idolator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you an Idolator?

Tim Keller describes idolatry thusly: "An idol is whatever you look at and say, in your heart of hearts, “If I have that, then I’ll feel my life has meaning, then I ‘ll know I have value, then I’ll feel significant and secure.” There are many ways to describe that kind of relationship to something, but perhaps the best one is worship."

First, do you agree with his assessment?

Second, how has this understanding of idolatry helped in your sanctification?

Amazing and insightful lecture, delivered at Cambridge.

Last edited by thatbrian; 01-19-2017, 02:33 PM.
    Comment>

Tim Keller was my pastor for 10 years, so I've heard much of his preaching. I've heard it all, in fact. Having said that, I just watched this video in its entirety, and I think that this is the most helpful information and Christian can have.
      Comment>

OK, I haven't watched the video yet, but is having something we strongly desire always necessarily idolatry? I get a lot out of doing thread crochet, but I dearly hope I don't worship the stuff! I get a sense of purpose and belonging from being a member of Facebook group dedicated to the art which I probably should be getting in church instead, but we hang onto whatever we can in the dry places. I don't think God meant us to live in a cave, but I do know we are to give thanks and praise to Him alone for what we do have.
        Comment>

Originally posted by Meg View Post
          is having something we strongly desire always necessarily idolatry?
          Not at all, and if you ever have the time and desire to watch the video, Keller gives some tests to help one see where he might have idols, which he is unaware of.
          Last edited by thatbrian; 01-21-2017, 08:44 AM.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap