Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

The Negative Effect of Free Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Negative Effect of Free Time

Note, some have said "Free time is the devil's workshop." Well, that is true, but in reality, ironically, people who do evil are not using free time, they are working. In other words, evil takes effort.

However, on the flip side, it takes work to do good. In that sense, keeping busy can keep one out of trouble.

Nonetheless, and this is important to note, without spiritual effort one cannot please God. Even proponents of eternal security will argue that a lazy Christian life will produce a "carnal Christian", which ironically doesn't really exist.

Is it possible that by "the devil's workshop" they are refering more to the odd thoughts and ideas that people get when they aren't active and their mind wanders? I know that if I have a five minute gap between jobs, that's when I'm most tempted to make my break stretch out and not get the next job done, even when I know I have to. It is also when there's nothing to keep you focused, so people would be more open to temptations, daydreams, and distractions.

Do idle hands do the devil's work simply because they aren't doing anything at all? After all, sloth is a sin.
    Last edited by ChatterBox; 12-13-2016, 09:44 AM.
    Comment>

Free time can actually become a bad thing if it's not used in the right way.

Some people don't know what to do when they have a free time, and depending on how they're psychologically, having a free time may not be a good idea.

Free time should be used to be at peace with oneself, to strengthen the good ties, and to speak with God.

God bless you all, folks.
      Comment>

I don't think it means we are meant to be workaholics, working every waking moment. After all, being active doesn't always mean being productive.

I think it means that we have to be careful of idle time, not to let it lead us into temptation because we are bored. How many times have we all done things that we probably shouldn't do because we're bored and restless? For some people that might be getting drunk or high. For others, it might be overeating. Some may get into mischief (bored kids come to mind). Some might sit on the phone and gossip. Other times it might be something worse.

I get bored easily, so I always need something creative to do.
        Comment>

To much free time can give you a bit of anxiety at times,but also you have to try to enjoy your free time and find delight in the moment I think. Some things you could do in your spare time are brainstorm about solving a problem in your life and write these things down in a notebook. Also you could use some of that time for short exercise intervals as well,maybe a couple of times a day or take a walk to get the creative ideas going. Doing a bit of hiking or walking and meditating can really get you out of a funk also.
          Comment>

I remember the point where I had lot of free time. I think when we have free time. Our mind is open and vulnerable. It's devils workshop because it's too open and unguarded. When we are busy we are firm about our belief and the efforts. But when we have free time we get into laid back mode. And that leads to more negativity to enter. So though devil takes efforts and can't be working in free time. It's our own inability in the free time that leads to any devil sending his negativity to us.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Jason76 View Post
              Even proponents of eternal security will argue that a lazy Christian life will produce a "carnal Christian", which ironically doesn't really exist.
              Before I address this comment I will just say this, that any spiritual Christian will be so busy with things that matter for eternity that he or she will simply have no time to sit idly by. In fact, God has made it crystal clear that we are to work diligently six days of each week, and rest on one day ( we won't get into the Sabbath-observance debate).

Now you said "a "carnal Christian", which ironically doesn't really exist". Perhaps you have not read and studied Paul's first epistle to the Corinthians (1 Cor 3:1-4). There we are told in no uncertain terms as to what constitutes " a carnal Christian" (one controlled by "the flesh" rather than by the Holy Spirit). In brief carnal Christians do the things dictated by the sinful flesh, whereas spiritual Christians do not.

1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

Comment>

Originally posted by Jason76 View Post
                Note, some have said "Free time is the devil's workshop." Well, that is true, but in reality, ironically, people who do evil are not using free time, they are working. In other words, evil takes effort.

However, on the flip side, it takes work to do good. In that sense, keeping busy can keep one out of trouble.

Nonetheless, and this is important to note, without spiritual effort one cannot please God. Even proponents of eternal security will argue that a lazy Christian life will produce a "carnal Christian", which ironically doesn't really exist.
                We also use that quote frequently. I have also experienced, when I am alone and do not have anything substantial to do, you will overcome with negative thoughts. When I was smoking, I used to smoke when I was alone and free. When I was engaged, I never felt the necessity of smoking. This applies for people who are not bad in nature. However, those people who are intrinsically bad, will be working to execute their bad plan. For example a murderer does not murder some one just because he had free time, in fact he was keeping himself busy in planning how to kill.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap