Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Eternal Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eternal Life

The function of the “resurrection” is to join a spirit being with a new indestructible physical body, similar (maybe exactly) to man’s body prior to sinning. It’s also true that believers and unbelievers will both receive a resurrected body (John 5:28, 29), but not both will have “eternal life” (John 10:27, 28) in their new bodies, which is the intention of “the second death.” If eternal life means an eternal relationship with God, then the absence of an eternal relationship with God means eternal death.

So, I believe a question that may be adequate in addressing eternal life is, “when does a believer receive eternal life”? My understanding is that it is possessed at the time of rebirth, and if so, the phrase “loose eternal life” is not only an oxymoron (you can’t lose eternal life since it means life that is forever) but Scripture has no usages of such language or concept.

May God guide all who reply to this post to His truths concerning it, and God Be Blessed!

I say from the beginning, before the foundations of the world were laid. I believe Romans 8:29-30 speaks of our Salvation. Often this is referred to as the Golden Chain. I think the different views result from either Monergism (of God alone) or Synergism (man's initiation and/or cooperation). Obviously, we both as Protestants believe man is not Glorified until after the Second resurrection. In the Golden Chain, it states that we will be brought to Glorification.
    • For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
    • And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

But if you mean when are we equipped for eternal life, then, 2 Corinthians 5:1 says,
    • For we know that if the aearthly btent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

I also think a great example of the Visible Church can be explained through the imagery of the iceberg. I bring this up for much confusion comes to surface, because there are people on top of the iceberg, like Judas. They were never saved, though they sit on top of the iceberg, they are not in the Iceberg. They are not truly part of the iceberg. The water line separates the Visible Church above the water, and the Invisible Church below the water. Whenever someone falls off the tip of the iceberg, people think they can lose their salvation. The Visible Church has truly genuine believers, and those riding on top of it which are there only temporarily. The bottom of the iceberg, the greater mass are the Elect from all time, from past to the future - the Invisible Church. And if the iceberg is lifted from out of the water, in totality, are heirs to eternal life.

Romans 8:23
    • And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.

Clearly, we are in God's hands. From beginning to end God is the author of our faith. It is not our faith that saves, never has been, but the object of our faith that saves us. To suggest we can lose our salvation is to suggest that God loses some, but we know from Scripture that He has not lost one yet except the son of perdition to fulfill the Scriptures (on top of the iceberg).

That God decided to save His people gives us confidence that “neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord” Rom. 8:38–39.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
      I say from the beginning, before the foundations of the world were laid. I believe Romans 8:29-30 speaks of our Salvation. Often this is referred to the Golden Chain. I think the different views result from either Monergism (of God alone) or Synergism (man's initiation and/or cooperation). Obviously, we both as Protestants believe man is not Glorified until after the Second resurrection. In the Golden Chain, it states that we will be brought to Glorification.[LIST][*]For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.[*]And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
      Always good to see my brother William's replies! We could also say from eternity past, e.g. our salvation has always been on God's mind! I believe that the above passages are in the aorist tense, which means they have already been decreed by God. He has always known who will perish and who will not perish. Of course my point for the article was to establish that Jesus gives eternal life to His sheep (John 10:27, 28) at the moment of rebirth, which means it can't be lost once given.

I believe the Spirit of God indwells you at rebirth and He "abides with you forever" (John 14:16), which answers to the permanency of being "sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, Who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession" (Eph 1:13, 14).

The "redemption" here is in reference to our body, for we have received redemption in our soul and spirit, but not our body. God "has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee" (2Cor 1:22) of our salvation.

Love You in Christ

Comment>

Originally posted by NetChaplain View Post
        Always good to see my brother William's replies! We could also say from eternity past, e.g. our salvation has always been on God's mind! I believe that the above passages are in the aorist tense, which means they have already been decreed by God. He has always known who will perish and who will not perish. Of course my point for the article was to establish that Jesus gives eternal life to His sheep (John 10:27, 28) at the moment of rebirth, which means it can't be lost once given.

I believe the Spirit of God indwells you at rebirth and He "abides with you forever" (John 14:16), which answers to the permanency of being "sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, Who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession" (Eph 1:13, 14).

The "redemption" here is in reference to our body, for we have received redemption in our soul and spirit, but not our body. God "has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee" (2Cor 1:22) of our salvation.

Love You in Christ
        Hi NC/William, the Lord also tells us about "eternal life" and who will receive it in John 5:24, and He gives us a couple of very good indications there that we who, "hear and believe", are already in possession of it. It could mean that it is received at the moment we first believe, or it could mean that those of us who, "hear and believe", do so because we are 'already' possess it (though I have always believed that being "born again" is involved in receiving it). I don't believe however that the verb tenses that indicate when we receive eternal life in v24 (ἔχω [echo] "has"/present tense, and μεταβαίνω [metabaino] "has passed" in the perfect tense) preclude the idea that our eternal life actually began before God set the foundations of the world in place.

Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life. ~John 5:24 NASB

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. ~John 5:24 AV

What John 5:24 absolutely tells us is that the kind of ζωή [zoe] "life" indicated is actually and truly αἰώνιος [aionios] "ETERNAL", NOT "temporal" or "probationary", AMEN :) Such passages are big problems for those who believe 1) that salvation can be lost and/or 2) that no one can possess eternal life prior to Glory!

Yours in Christ,
        David

"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and .. of all that He
        has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day"

John 6:37-39

Last edited by David Lee; 09-10-2016, 02:46 AM.
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post

Hi NC/William, the Lord also tells us about "eternal life" and who will receive it in John 5:24, and He gives us a couple of very good indications there that we who, "hear and believe", are already in possession of it. It could mean that it is received at the moment we first believe, or it could mean that those of us who, "hear and believe", do so because we are already in possession of it (though I have always believed that being "born again" is involved in receiving it). I don't believe however that the verb tenses that indicate when we receive eternal life (ἔχω [echo] "has"/present tense, and μεταβαίνω [metabaino] "has passed" in the perfect tense) in v24 preclude the idea that our eternal life actually began before God set the foundations of the world in place.

What John 5:24 absolutely tells us is that the kind of ζωή [zoe] "life" indicated there is actually and truly αἰώνιος [aionios] "ETERNAL", NOT "temporal" or "probationary", AMEN :) Such passages are big problems for those who believe that 1) salvation can be lost and/or 2) that no one can possess eternal life prior to Glory!

Yours in Christ,
          David

"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and .. of all that He
          has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day"

John 6:37-39
          Hi David - Thanks for you input and showing your agreement, which is that eternal life is received at rebirth.

Blessings!

Comment>

The sole condition on our part is receiving salvation--"through faith" (Eph 2:8), then manifesting the faith--"by works" (Jam 2:24), which needs much clarification. "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified." The Greek for "justify" is 'dikaioō' and basically has two meanings: to render one righteous, which only God can do (Rom 8:33; Gal 2:17); to show (manifest or display) one is righteous, which is definition II at the below link. Effecting righteousness is always attributed to God and Christ. Showing righteousness is through the believer.

G1344 - dikaioō - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV)
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap