Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

What are Messianic Jews?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are Messianic Jews?

How are they similar to and different from Christians? How do they resemble Jews? What is their history?

Generally, recent converts to Christianity who have chosen to retain their cultural Jewishness while embracing Jesus as the Savior.
    Thus they pray with those hats and shawls and celebrate Passover with a traditional meal, but pray to Jesus as the Messiah and son of God.

In the little bit of preaching that I have encountered, there tends to be a strong emphasis on Jesus as fulfillment of the Law and as preached in the Torah.
    [I am not certain of their origin, but their critics blame the Baptist Church.] [shrug] I have no idea.
    Comment>

I question whether they profess the Trinity. The few Messianic Jews I have interacted with rejected the 3rd person of the Trinity - the Holy Spirit. This may of been an indication of them and not Messianic Jews overall, but it does cause me to question them, and because of this, I usually ask for statement of belief or whether they profess the Nicene Creed.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
        I question whether they profess the Trinity. The few Messianic Jews I have interacted with rejected the 3rd person of the Trinity - the Holy Spirit. This may of been an indication of them and not Messianic Jews overall, but it does cause me to question them, and because of this, I usually ask for statement of belief or whether they profess the Nicene Creed.

God bless,
        William
        Messianic Jewish Alliance of America Statement of Faith

GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT:
        Introduced in Genesis 1:2b: “And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.” In the Tenach, the Spirit of God came upon individuals during the times of our forefathers, like Moses, David (see II Samuel 23:1-3), and the Prophets, for the specific purposes.

In the New Covenant, the Messiah Yeshua, promised His disciples that "the Comforter" would come to them after He was gone, described as the Spirit of Truth (John 14:17, 26), who was with them and would be in them. Yeshua further declared that the Spirit of Truth, would guide us into all truth and would glorify Him - the Messiah - not Himself (John 16:13-15). He empowers us (Acts 1:8). The Spirit of God seals us (Ephesians 1:13; 4:30 (see NIV and Jewish New Testament versions)). If we have not the Spirit, we are not His (Romans 8:9). He leads us and teaches us (Romans 8:14-17). His indwelling enables us to live a godly life. Acts 2:38 says, "Repent, be immersed, and receive the Holy Spirit."

Obviously, this doesn't speak for all, but it does speak for some.
        Comment>

Originally posted by ConfessionalLutheran View Post
          How are they similar to and different from Christians? How do they resemble Jews? What is their history?

I've only seen Messianic Jews fundraising in non-MJ churches, but I've never seen a willingness to break bread, or have anything else to do with the whole of Christendom. If they refuse to join the Church, are they part of her?

My comment is based on my experience, which is admittedly limited, but it's limited because MJs refuse to have much to do with Christians.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?
          Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post
            I've only seen Messianic Jews fundraising in non-MJ churches, but I've never seen a willingness to break bread, or have anything else to do with the whole of Christendom. If they refuse to join the Church, are they part of her?
            My comment is based on my experience, which is admittedly limited, but it's limited because MJs refuse to have much to do with Christians.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?
            Only the obvious explanation comes to mind ... I don't see lots of Catholics or Greek Orthodox or Coptic Christians in the Pentacostal Church I attend, but I suspect it is simply because they all either have a church they attend or are more comfortable with a different cultural/liturgical setting.

I have encountered individuals who emphasize their Jewish Heritage for fundraising who have visited our church, but I know a goat among the sheep when I see one and there is nothing 'saved' about their 'ministry' ... apparently there are Jewish Con-men, too.

Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
              Only the obvious explanation comes to mind ... I don't see lots of Catholics or Greek Orthodox or Coptic Christians in the Pentacostal Church I attend, but I suspect it is simply because they all either have a church they attend or are more comfortable with a different cultural/liturgical setting.

I have encountered individuals who emphasize their Jewish Heritage for fundraising who have visited our church, but I know a goat among the sheep when I see one and there is nothing 'saved' about their 'ministry' ... apparently there are Jewish Con-men, too.

When I mentioned fundraising, I absolutely didn't mean to imply that there was anything dishonest going on regarding money. What I did notice, was that the only time I saw a MJ was when he was trying to raise money for Jews for Jesus, for example, but other than that, the rest of the church was treated as if it were a ham sandwich. . .

Birds of a feather do flock together, I suppose, and many times they flock together because they don't want to "soil their garments" by interacting with the great "unwashed". Within the body of Christ, there isn't room for that sort of behavior. A couple of denominations come to mind as almost shunning the rest of the Church. What I find laughable (and sad) is when certain denoms, which claim brotherly love for the saints, won't allow them a seat at the "dinner table.
              Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post

When I mentioned fundraising, I absolutely didn't mean to imply that there was anything dishonest going on regarding money. What I did notice, was that the only time I saw a MJ was when he was trying to raise money for Jews for Jesus, for example, but other than that, the rest of the church was treated as if it were a ham sandwich. . .

Birds of a feather do flock together, I suppose, and many times they flock together because they don't want to "soil their garments" by interacting with the great "unwashed". Within the body of Christ, there isn't room for that sort of behavior. A couple of denominations come to mind as almost shunning the rest of the Church. What I find laughable (and sad) is when certain denoms, which claim brotherly love for the saints, won't allow them a seat at the "dinner table.
                I caught that tone in your post.
                The first part of my post was intended to address your experience.

The second part of my post was intended to address my experience with a "prophetess" that wanted cash, was not a charity, traveled church to church and taught drivel sprinkled with Hebrew.
                (I still want to scream every time I hear [ha' sa tan'] as if saying Satan in Hebrew lends validity to prosperity theology).

Concerning denominations:

John 13:34-35
                34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap