Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Virgins

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgins

Well, by saying the word "Virgin" many things would cross your mind, but you probably do not know what I am going to talk about.

Let me tell you about a big concern that I've had for quite a while, the thing is that I live in a Hispanic country, and as you all may know, most Hispanics are Catholic, and therefore we show a big devotion for that we call "Virgins" which simply are the different representations of Jesus mother, however, as I just stated, we basically believe in a lot of virgins, specifically in my country (Venezuela) we have more than 20 different versions so here comes the big concern...

Do you actually have this many Virgins in your nation?
    What do all those different Virgins represent if Jesus had only one mother?
    What do they really mean in Catholicism?

Praying to "Virgins" or Mary is a human tradition which encourages Christian to do what "men" teach instead of doing what Jesus expects us to do. Before He went back to heaven Jesus told His disciples to ask for anything they wanted, IN HIS NAME. Nowhere in scripture are we told to pray to saints or Mary. Though many devout Catholics try to rationalize "Mary worship," scripture says something entirely different.
    Then I fell down at his (the angel's) feet to worship him, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God.”
    Servants of God know their place.
    Mary responded, "I am the Lord's servant. May everything you have said about me come true."
    Mary did.
    Comment>

Praying to "virgins" or even the saints is a completely irrelevant practice, as Smithee pointed out. Jesus wants us to pray in His name, not to some other dead guy/gal so they can somehow intervene for us. To me it suggests that Jesus is too busy to listen to our prayers, or intercede for everyone on the planet, which flies in the face of his omniscience and omnipotence.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
        Praying to "virgins" or even the saints is a completely irrelevant practice, as Smithee pointed out. Jesus wants us to pray in His name, not to some other dead guy/gal so they can somehow intervene for us. To me it suggests that Jesus is too busy to listen to our prayers, or intercede for everyone on the planet, which flies in the face of his omniscience and omnipotence.
        Well, I really understand your point of view regarding to virgins and the other bunch of saints, however, I respect your thoughts, but I have been praying to virgins and saints since I was a little kid because that's basically what my mom taught me to do, by this I do not mean that I truly believe on that, but it makes a little bit of sense; the fact Mary was Jesus' mother makes her important as well and therefore, we think of her as a way to reach God's arms, that's basically what I have been told since I was a little boy, do not judge me for thinking that whatsoever, that's my opinion though.
        Comment>

When Jesus was asked how to pray he started out "Our father who art in heaven..." Jesus told us to pray to God directly. There are many places in the bible when God gets mad at man for worshipping the created, not the creator. God does not want us to worship, or pray to, anything He has created and that includes Mary.

You may think its right by praying to Mary but you are making God mad by doing so. What would it hurt you to stop praying to Mary, a false idol?
          Comment>

Originally posted by Serpardum View Post
            When Jesus was asked how to pray he started out "Our father who art in heaven..." Jesus told us to pray to God directly. There are many places in the bible when God gets mad at man for worshipping the created, not the creator. God does not want us to worship, or pray to, anything He has created and that includes Mary.

You may think its right by praying to Mary but you are making God mad by doing so. What would it hurt you to stop praying to Mary, a false idol?
            I clearly understand all that, I somehow agree with most of those things he said, but why do catholics do id so much? Why is it too iportant for us and why have not we stopped doing it yet?
            There are so many concerns that I would really like to clarify, but I will definitely go one by one to make it easier for us all.
            Comment>

Understand this is a protestant forum. Protestant comes from protest and what they were protesting was the catholic church.

The roman carholic church started in Rome which was polytheistic, that means they believed in many gods. The roman catholic church over the years did many different things to try to bring in other worshippers. One thing they brought in were the many statues that people prayed to but were against the commandment notto make an image of anything and bow down to it. The catholic church removed this from their bible and split the tenth commandment into two so there were still ten. So the catholic church had these many statues of saints for people to bow down and pray to, which was against the bible but brought the catholic church many converts.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Espiritu View Post

Well, I really understand your point of view regarding to virgins and the other bunch of saints, however, I respect your thoughts, but I have been praying to virgins and saints since I was a little kid because that's basically what my mom taught me to do, by this I do not mean that I truly believe on that, but it makes a little bit of sense; the fact Mary was Jesus' mother makes her important as well and therefore, we think of her as a way to reach God's arms, that's basically what I have been told since I was a little boy, do not judge me for thinking that whatsoever, that's my opinion though.
                May I suggest a short article to you Espiritu? Just to clarify and differentiate between Catholicism and Protestants: What is Reformed Christian Theology? - Christforums

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

Originally posted by Serpardum View Post
                  Understand this is a protestant forum. Protestant comes from protest and what they were protesting was the catholic church.

The roman carholic church started in Rome which was polytheistic, that means they believed in many gods. The roman catholic church over the years did many different things to try to bring in other worshippers. One thing they brought in were the many statues that people prayed to but were against the commandment notto make an image of anything and bow down to it. The catholic church removed this from their bible and split the tenth commandment into two so there were still ten. So the catholic church had these many statues of saints for people to bow down and pray to, which was against the bible but brought the catholic church many converts.

A load of rubbish from start to finish. And no evidence provided for these wild assertions.
                  Comment>

Mary worship or devotion is nowhere alluded to in the Bible as something relevant to our faith. The Angels salutation was about the wonder that God's Son was within Mary's womb, not that Mary herself was worthy of devotion herself. And Bede it would be nice that instead of calling another's post rubbish you instead describe how you differ from the poster or what you feel is the correct view point..and I myself am a former Catholic
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
                      To me it suggests that Jesus is too busy to listen to our prayers, or intercede for everyone on the planet, which flies in the face of his omniscience and omnipotence.
                      Agreed

1. If Mary can hear all these prayers (even silent ones) that would make her capable of fully knowing the heart. This belongs to God alone.
                      kardiognōstēs: does it mean omniscient? - Christforums

2. Praying to Mary (or anyone else besides God) is an attack on Him being "The Hearer of Prayer" (Psalm 65:2).

3. God is worshiped (and yes, prayer is worship) in that He is absolutely holy (Revelation 15:4). Praying to others is an attack on the holiness of God.

Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap