Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

“Full Assurance of Faith” (Hebrews 10:22)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Full Assurance of Faith” (Hebrews 10:22)

What is the believer to be mostly assured of in the Faith?—“eternal salvation.” Nothing within the biblical doctrine of Soteriology can have even a scintilla of meaning if it rests apart from supporting the truth that “He who promised is faithful” (vs 23). “Promised” what? What in all existence has the greatest significance? Is it not endless fellowship with God! Thus, eternal life—via salvation—is the most important promise.

The two most often discussed issues on this subject are when the gift of eternal life becomes a reality within the Christian, and the concept of losing this gift. Firstly, there can be no doubt that salvation begins at the point of faith received, otherwise there can be no other possible explanation concerning its chronological initiation. Secondly, how could it stand to reason to perceive that anything about salvation is temporal, and even if this were possible, that God gives temporal salvation to anyone, since it means “to be eternally redeemed”? This would be to either doubt God’s omniscience concerning His foreknowledge of individuals as to whether or not they will remain in it; or to misunderstand omniscience, or to be uninformed concerning the fact that God possesses omniscience.

Faith in the provisions of these truths hold a greater meaning in this life than in the next, “for why does one still hope for what he sees (Rom 8:24)? As it is written, “We walk by faith, not by sight” (2Cor 5:7), and sight in the next life will then be the connection instead of faith now. The greatest difficulty, due to it being the most important for maturity, is that of releasing one’s own trust in self in order to see the security in the Father’s hand (true even if not realized – John 10:29) for all who are His! I say the greatest difficulty, because it is when all we’ve come to believe in concerning Christ’s mediation is tested and exercised the most, which is simple dependence on Christ’s expiation concerning our “old man” (sin source) and its sins.

It abides well to realize that all the guilt incurred is not from sins or sinning, but from the possession (by association) of the sin source, which is to say that even if one could stop sinning altogether, the curse of guilt would yet abide within, due to the ever-present (Rom 7:17, 18, 20; Gal 5:17) source. Faith is at its pinnacle of glorifying God when exercised in “full assurance” of the Lord Jesus’ Cross-work while coexisting (but never coalescing) with the sinful Adamic nature.

- NC

It would seem that if this was true, one becomes saved they cant lose their salvation, it would of always been true, yet God has this to say in the old testament:

Ezekial 18

24 “But if a righteous person turnsfrom their righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked person does, will they live? None of the righteous things that person has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness they are guilty of and because of the sins they have committed, they will die.

25 “Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Hear, you Israelites: Is my way unjust? Is it not your ways that are unjust? 26 If a righteous person turns from their righteousness and commits sin, they will die for it; because of the sin they have committed they will die.27 But if a wicked person turns away from the wickedness they have committed and does what is just and right, they will save their life.28 Because they consider all the offenses they have committed and turn away from them, that person will surely live; they will not die.29 Yet the Israelites say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Are my ways unjust, people of Israel? Is it not your ways that are unjust?

30 “Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the SovereignLord. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!
    Comment>

Originally posted by Serpardum View Post
      It would seem that if this was true, one becomes saved they cant lose their salvation, it would of always been true, yet God has this to say in the old testament:

Ezekial 18

24 “But if a righteous person turns from their righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked person does, will they live? None of the righteous things that person has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness they are guilty of and because of the sins they have committed, they will die.

25 “Yet you say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Hear, you Israelites: Is my way unjust? Is it not your ways that are unjust? 26 If a righteous person turns from their righteousness and commits sin, they will die for it; because of the sin they have committed they will die.27 But if a wicked person turns away from the wickedness they have committed and does what is just and right, they will save their life.28 Because they consider all the offenses they have committed and turn away from them, that person will surely live; they will not die.29 Yet the Israelites say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just.’ Are my ways unjust, people of Israel? Is it not your ways that are unjust?

30 “Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. 31 Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? 32 For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign Lord. Repent and live!
      Then if you commit any sin and die before you can confess it, you will be damned.
      Is that your belief?
      It seems the unavoidable logical consequence of your argument.

I see Ezekial 18 as speaking more like Romans in addressing human complains about Godly wisdom.
      On the one hand, a man cannot "say Lord, Lord" or "kill a lamb" and then go on living like an enemy of God and think that they will escape judgement because they are 'forgiven'. - thus the saved have no reason for arrogant pride.
      On the other hand, God is fully able and willing to forgive any man, however base his sin, who genuinely repents. - thus the lost need never loose hope.

Can a man really receive a new heart, be given the gift of faith, answer the call of God, be made a new creation, receive the Holy Spirit as a deposit guaranteeing his inheritance ... all promised by God in the Bible ... and go back to living a sin filled life as if nothing had happened.
      How pathetic and impotent a god that would be. That is not the God that called me from my life of sin, indwelt me and changed me from the inside out.
      Comment>

Ezekial 18

24 “But if a righteous person turns from their righteousness and commits sin and does the same detestable things the wicked person does, will they live? None of the righteous things that person has done will be remembered. Because of the unfaithfulness they are guilty of and because of the sins they have committed, they will die.
        Since "there are none righteous," the phrase "a righteous man" is a hyperbolic expression and must design the sense of what one may consider himself to be. Were there ever one truly righteous in his own self, he would never commit iniquity, as the passage shows he could.

I think it best to show this:

John Gill: But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness,.... "This is to be understood, not of a truly righteous man; for no man can be so denominated from his own righteousness; but from the righteousness and obedience of God; and such a man cannot turn from His righteousness; for that is the righteousness of God, and can never be lost; and is an everlasting one, and will always endure; and with which eternal life is inseparably connected.

"But this is to be interpreted of one that is reckoned so from his own righteousness, what he himself has done, and not from another, from the righteousness of God, which He has wrought out; he is one that is righteous in his own esteem, and in the account of others; who is outwardly righteous before men; who trusts in himself that he is righteous, and trusts to his own righteousness; see Ezekiel 33:13; whose righteousness is not an evangelical one, but either a ceremonial righteousness, or at most a mere moral one, consisting of some negative holiness, and a few moral performances, as appears from Ezekiel 18:5; and from such a righteousness as this a man may turn, commit iniquity, sin and die; see 2 Peter 2:20; and is no proof or instance of the apostasy of real saints, true believers, or truly righteous men; besides, this man is represented as a transgressor, or "prevaricator," as the word signifies; a hypocrite, a man destitute of the truth of grace, and of true righteousness."

Blessings

Comment>

I find it very interesting that i quote God almighty Himself talking about how people can lose their salvation (at least in the old testament) and people argue that it can not be true. It is black and white what God says there.

I never said that if man commits one sin and dies he goes to hell, and neighter did God in Ezekial 18.

If you disagree,with God so be it, thats between you and God. I would much rather try to come to God's point of view.

Now, in reguards to there are none rightous, thats what the sacrifices in the old testament were for, Jesus dying on the cross in the new testament. Even if we try with a our might we can not be perfect and God knows that.

Comment>

I find it very interesting that i quote God almighty Himself talking about how people can lose their salvation (at least in the old testament) and people argue that it can not be true. It is black and white what God says there.

Hi Serpardum, I'm sure you would say that we come into possession eternal life by faith, not by works, right? But here in Ezekiel, "life" (and "death") seems to be a matter of what we "do", not Who we trust and have faith in (or what 'God' has done)! Do you think it's possible that there may be more going on here than your interpretation of Ezekiel's words, based on NT principles, can account for?

I never said that if man commits one sin and dies he goes to hell, and neither did God in Ezekiel 18.

But that's exactly what God said through the pen of James, isn't it?

10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.
            11 For He who said, “DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY,” also said, “DO NOT COMMIT MURDER.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder,you have become a transgressor of the law. ~James 2

Our salvation is utterly dependent upon the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and on God's gracious promise to save us on the basis of what He did for us alone. What "we" do is not in view.

Yours and His,
            David

"To the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies
            the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness"

Romans 4:5

Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
            Comment>

Yes, i am in transgression of the law, as stated, so i ask god/jesus for forgiveness. I can agree that one of our interpretations of ezwkial is wrong because does not Jesus twll ua that not just calling his name saves us but doing the will of his father in heaven? Does not paul tell us that after we come to the knowledge of salvation and willfully sin we have a fearful looking forward to the day of judgement? Are we not told not to be deceived but sinneres shall not enter tge kingdom of god? Are we not told in revelation that these shall not enter the kingdom of god, thieves, all liers, etc?

Perhaps you err in that you confuse not sinning with works? Or do you concider works and not sinning as the same thing? Perhaps thats where this discussion should go.
              Comment>

............does not Jesus tell us that not just calling his name saves us but doing the will of his father in heaven?

Hi Serpardum, I donno, here are but a few examples, so you tell me ;)

"God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." ~John 3:16

“He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." ~John 3:18

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life." ~John 5:24

"This is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.” ~John 6:40

"These have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that by believing you may have life in His name." ~John 20.31

"If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation." ~Romans 10:9-10

"These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life." ~1 John 5:13

So, do we obey the Father and do His will to become saved, or do we obey the Father and do His will because we ALREADY ARE saved, IOW, because we already are Christians?

St. Paul tells us that a non-Christian is dead spiritually (Ephesians 2:1-3) and that such a person, IOW, "a natural man ... does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised." (1 Corinthians 2:14)

How can a man or woman who is "dead" spiritually, who does not "know" Christ, who cannot understand or accept the things of God because they are "foolishness" to him/her, who is not indwelt or empowered by the HS, and who is not in possession of the "mind of Christ", EVER get to the point that they can figure out what God's will is for their life and obey Him unto salvation??

//////////

I believe you are referring to Matthew 7:21-23 above, so let's take a look at that too.

21 Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
                22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
                23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.' ~Matthew 7

Verse 21 tells us that (as you said above) entering the kingdom of heaven requires more than simply calling Him "Lord", or "claiming" to be a Christian, rather, it's the ones who demonstrate that they are Christians that we know have made it.

But how can this be? The Bible clearly tells us that we are saved by "believing" (see again the verses I posited above), IOW, by "grace through faith", and not by what we "do"? (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5)

Could it be that v21 is describing a "characteristic" that is common among those who have entered the kingdom of heaven RATHER than the "condition" or "requirement" to get in? Check out the rest of the passage, IOW, v22-23. The folks in v22 seem to be obeying God, in fact, they seem like SUPER-Christians, don't they? But much to their surprise, they find out they were NEVER saved. Why? (hint, see what's written in bold in v23 above).

WOW, this has gone on far longer than I had planned. I'll stop here for now and finish the rest later. Sorry about that.

Yours in Christ,
                David

“This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true
                God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent"

John 17:3

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                Comment>

It seems you are interpreting the word believe the same way we would faith. To believe in jesus does not simply mean to think that he is the messiah, it means to follow his teachings. If you "believe" jesus then you will do as he teaches, orherwise you do not believe in him. Jesus says not everyone who says Lord Lord will enter the kingdom of God will go to heaven but those that do the will of his father. Do you believe that or not? If you believe in Jesus you will believe all his teachings and follow them, other wise you dont believe him, do you?

You either believe Jesus or you dont. If you believe in Jesus you believe and follow his teachings. If you do not follow his teachings then you dont believe in him.

Being saved is not simply understanding that Jesus is the Messiah. We are told even the demons believe that and tremble.

Perhaps if you interpreted "believe" as "believe and obey" you would suddenly find all these apparrnt contradictions you have to explain away disappear.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
                    So, do we obey the Father and do His will to become saved, or do we obey the Father and do His will because we ALREADY ARE saved, IOW, because we already are Christians?
                    Only one option is the Protestant answer, I hear an echo of a long ago rallying cry, Soli Deo Gloria!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	clap.gif
Views:	5
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	21921
                    Comment>

Perhaps if you interpreted "believe" as "believe and obey" you would suddenly find all these apparrnt contradictions you have to explain away disappear.
                      St_Worm2 hasn't laid one contradiction down. But it appears that your works based righteousness juggles between Catholicism and Protestantism. To harmonize both Paul and James, may I suggest that faith is an "action based on belief sustained by confidence in God"?

Think about St_Worm2's previous signature:

Simul Justus et Peccator

If I were to read Calvin's quote out of context, I'd say the second part of that statement reiterates the object of our faith that Saves us, Jesus Christ. Do you agree?

Is it your intent to rob God of partial Glory for your salvation, or can I hear Soli Deo Gloria! Click image for larger version

Name:	clap.gif
Views:	5
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	21923

God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

Lets make it simple.

You are saying that that not sinning is not a part of salvation because not sinning is works, correct?

If this is true then repentance would not be a part of salvation because that would be works.

Not sinning, doing works. Can you see the difference? One is not doing something, one is doing something.

So if we look at it this way then repentance is not works and their is no contradiction.

You say you believe Jesus, right? So do you believe Jesus when he told the man to follow the commansments to get to heaven? Yes or no.
                        Comment>

Lets make it simple.

You are saying that not sinning is not a part of salvation because not sinning is works, correct?*
                          Hi Serpardum, no, that's not what we're saying at all.

What we are saying is that salvation is all about Him, what He did for us, and what He continues to do for us. It's about Him, it's not about us.

Good works are things that we do BECAUSE we are His "workmanship", because we are(already),"in Christ" .. Ephesians 2:10. God made us into completely, "new creatures", in His Son (2 Corinthians 5:17) when He saved us, and we choose to please Him now (IOW, we choose to obey Him, to do good works, to NOT sin.....)BECAUSE of the change God wrought in us.

*We choose to "not sin" because we "are" Christians, not to become Christians.

He changed our hearts (Ezekiel 36:26) and in doing so, caused us to be "born again" .. John 3:3. EVERYTHING that we do as Christians, everything that is pleasing to Him, FLOWS from that change and, of course, from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Salvation is not about us and what we do for Him, it's all about Him and what He did for us (as the 5 "Solas" of the Reformation attest).

1. Sola Fide
                          2. Sola Scriptura
                          3. Solus Christus
                          4. Sola Gratia
                          5. Soli Deo Gloria

As St. Paul told us, we are saved by God's gracious choice to do so through faith (which He gives us as a "gift"), apart from works that we do of any kind.

By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. ~Ephesians 2:8-9

The "Gospel" (the "Good News" by which we are saved) is: "Jesus Christ and Him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2:2). My advice, if you're willing to take it, would be to take some time to consider what that truly means.

Yours in Christ,
                          David

"He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our
                          behalf, so that we might become the
                          righteousness of God in Him"

2 Cor 5:21

Last edited by David Lee; 08-20-2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment>

St_Worm2 So that would be a no then? You do not believe Jesus when he told the man to follow rhe commandments to be saved?
                            Comment>

St_Worm2So that would be a no then? You do not believe Jesus when he told the man to follow the commandments to be saved?
                              Hi Serpardum, I'm sure that you expect me to address your points and to answer your questions, and I will continue to do so (Dv). It would be nice if you would return the favor every now and again however ;)

I chose to address the first part of your post, not the last part in my last post, so please reply to that. I'll get around to the last part after we finally discuss the first part, ok :)

You know what, never mind, I'll answer your last question by asking you for a "name". Outside of Christ Himself, please give me the name of anyone (from the days of our first parents until now), who has so perfectly "obeyed the commandments" that God has or will choose to allow him/her to "enter the kingdom of heaven" on that basis.

Thanks!

Yours in Christ,
                              David

"He saved us, NOT on the basis of deeds which we have done
                              in righteousness, but according to His mercy"

Titus 3:5

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap