Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

The 'Afterlife'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'Afterlife'

Assuming that most members believe in the Resurrection and believe that the 'New Jerusalem' will be inhabited by animals, insects, and plant life (as well as 'people') may I ask your views on whether there will be procreation, and if not, what happens about the 'food chain', whereby one species is dependant on devouring another?
    Maybe 'food' (as such) will no longer be a component of life and everything and everyone will 'feed on Christ'.
    Maybe everyone and everything will remain constant at full grown maturity, and babies who died prematurely will be resurrected in full maturity.

Hi WotS, I don't believe the Bible tells us what will eat in the New Jerusalem, but the fact that some of God's creatures ended up being carnivorous (INCLUDING mankind) was a result of the FALL and not a part of God's original plan for us (i.e. Genesis 1:29-30), nor will it be part of life following the end of the age (as Isaiah's prophesies seem to show us .. Isaiah 11:6-9; Isaiah 65:25).

So it looks like we (IOW, mankind and all the other meat-eating critters out there) will all end up being Vegans ;)

Yours and His,
    David
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Originally posted by St_Worm2 View Post
      Hi WotS, I don't believe the Bible tells us what will eat in the New Jerusalem, but the fact that some of God's creatures ended up being carnivorous (INCLUDING mankind) was a result of the FALL and not a part of God's original plan for us (i.e. Genesis 1:29-30), nor will it be part of life following the end of the age (as Isaiah's prophesies seem to show us .. Isaiah 11:6-9; Isaiah 65:25).

So it looks like we (IOW, mankind and all the other meat-eating critters out there) will all end up being Vegans ;)

Yours and His,
      David
      So vegetation, if we are to be "Vegan critters", will regenerate and all else will start and remain, in the afterlife, in a state of fully grown maturity.
      I'm not arguing.....just meditating.
      Comment>

Of course, I can't be sure, God could speak whatever we need into existence if He chooses to do so, or He could change one existing substance into another (like he did to the water in the barrels at the wedding in Cana .. John 2:1-11). Since the Lord had this to say in all three of the Synoptics however,

27 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you;
        28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.
        29 “But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.
        and since we have fruit trees lining the river banks and in the middle of the street in Revelation 22, it looks like something will be growing there.

As for the inhabitants of the next age, it appears that it will be a 'fixed' number, as the Bible speaks of the end of the age happening when the, "fullness of the Gentiles has come in" (Romans 11:25), and that when the dead rise, they will neither marry, nor be given in marriage, but will be like the angels in Heaven in this regard (Mark 12:25).

Yours and His,
        David
        Last edited by David Lee; 07-11-2016, 04:22 AM.

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

Good thinking David ..... much appreciated.
          Mike
          Comment>

It's just what I've been taught. I realize it's a lot of conjecture, but it seems like the facts that we do have about the afterlife fit together best in this manner. The biggest thing to remember is that we know what we need to know to get from here to Glory (and we know a lot more than that), but we definitely don't know everything. God is God, and He's proven Himself more than trustworthy to me, and I truly believe He has our best in mind, so I am happy knowing what He chooses to reveal.

Deuteronomy 29:29 sums this up pretty well.

Yours in Christ,
            David

Comment>

As it has been mentioned, Jesus just before He was betrayed by Judas told His disciples that it would be the last night He would taste wine [[[-I will not drink wine again until the day I drink it new with you in my Father's Kingdom."]]] So there'll be wine in heaven and more . . .
              The LORD who commands armies will hold a banquet for all the nations on this mountain. At this banquet there will be plenty of meat and aged wine--tender meat and choicest wine.
              Then the angel showed me a river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb, 2down the middle of the main street of the city. On either side of the river stood a tree of life, producing twelve kinds of fruit and yielding a fresh crop for each month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3No longer will there be any curse.
              We also know that manna which was given to Israelites is the "food of angels." So if angels had manna for food then redeemed humans will aslo have some special kind of food. Maybe even manna itself.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap