Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Relying on God When Struggling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relying on God When Struggling

The past year and a half I have really been struggling with my life. I lost my father in December of 2014 and I was the one to find him when he passed. I fell into a deep depression as he and I were very close and in the following time I attempted suicide twice. I strayed away from my faith after I went to the church I was attending at the time and asked for help but was ignored. I'm working now to get back right with God after my sinning (suicide attempts) and find a new church to begin attending. I'm still struggling though.

I'm really struggling with giving things over to God when I'm struggling with them and being able to trust Him to handle them. Can anyone share with me some wisdom to help me be able to rely on him better and let go of some of these things I should be trusting Him with?

Where are you located Nora? You may want to check a denomination's online church locator. I recommend the Orthodox Presbyterian Church or the Presbyterian Church of America. The OPC has a church locator which you can use on its website: Orthodox Presbyterian Church Just type in your zip code on the left of the website in the search field for the locator.

Like you Nora, I suffer from depression. I am bi-polar and have in the past have made numerous suicide attempts under my belt, though I would never again. It is in my opinion that a person that can have enough faith in death from suicide can have enough faith in God to live. I think you're on the right track and should find a good bible believing church. Surround yourself with fellow believers, engage in fellowship through bible study at your local church. And while I recognize a familiar struggle as you shared with being able to trust God to handle your struggles and things initially, I personally acknowledged those struggles and things were beyond me and never were mine, they were out of my control. Roll your struggles onto God, and hear Him through His word. Remember, unlike the "prosperity gospel" of so many televangelist, all the apostles and many Saints died a horrendous death for His name's sake. Even today's martyrs are suffering death in the world at a rate beyond the 1st century. This is not to make you feel down, but to remind you many a false prophet today suggests God promises happiness, when in reality they fail to tell you there will be great tribulations, like wandering in the desert for 40 years.

I hope this poem is a reminder, and may provide hope during your tribulations:

God hath not promised skies always blue,
    Flower-strewn pathways all our lives through;
    God hath not promised sun without rain,
    Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.

God hath not promised we shall not know
    Toil and temptation, trouble and woe;
    He hath not told us we shall not bear
    many a burden, many a care.

God hath not promised smooth roads and wide,
    Swift, easy travel, needing no guide;
    Never a mountain rocky and steep,
    Never a river turbid and deep

But God hath promised strength for the day,
    Rest for the labor, light for the way,
    Grace for the trials, help from above,
    Unfailing sympathy, undying love

Author: Annie Johnson Flint

God bless, and I extend my prayers to you, Nora,
    William
    Comment>

I have had depression for as long as I can remember, and there are dark days too, when I just don't want to get out of bed and live my life, and would just stay in this cocoon that I have made with my bed sheets and blankets. But there's always a comforting feeling I get when I just give my burdens to God, and hope he can make it better. It makes me feel better, even just for a little while, enough time for me to get out of bed and start working again. It's a hard life, depression is a burden that you can't possibly expect to face and win alone, but with God, and not to sound cliche, I think it can be done. Even if it is just temporary.
      Comment>

Well those are the times when we seem to need God more than ever, and I know that from personal experience it is a powerful motivating factor. It is motivating on many fronts, and that is the strength of having faith in my opinion. If you are ever in question of your morals or your decision making or you circumstances, you can ALWAYS refer to God. I used the word 'refer' there but for some reason that just doesn't feel right, but I think that everyone knows what I am talking about. I too have pretty strong bouts of depression OursIsTheFury and God is always there for me in those struggles.
        Comment>

It's normal for people to doubt God when things get tough. But if we can learn something from the mistakes Saul [the first King of Israel] is that we never should lose faith in God. Our prayers may not be answered immediately, bad things may happen to us but we have to believe that despite all that if we ask God for peace and joy He can give them to us. Never lose faith. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
          Comment>

I will admit I struggle in the same way, and it's so hard to remember that God is there for us. We just have to remember that God loves us and wants the very best for us. He has great plans for our lives! Remembering that has always helped me be positive. :)
            Comment>

If you ever find yourself down, just remember you wouldn't be put in this position if God didn't know you couldn't handle it. He knows you're strong, and he knows you can handle more than a lot of people, and that's why your road may be tougher, because he knows you have the strength. You don't know what lies ahead in your future, but know God is watching, and he knows you can make it through this, and you will be rewarded for your courage, strength, and faith.
              Comment>

Its only natural to struggle, even strong Christians may struggle with their faith sometimes. As a child I was raised in a very unstable house hold, my father being a drug addict and my mother was disabled. Throughout my childhood I questioned my own beliefs and asked myself if being a christian was right for me. I always wanted to do everything on my own because I was so use to taking care of myself. I've seen domestic violence and I've been physically abused by my father. My situation just continued to get worse and worse until I realized that I couldnt do it by myself, and by realizing this it made it easy to give god control. By giving God control over your life its not limiting your freedom, in fact its quite the opposite. God loves all of his creation no madder how small, and wants nothing more then to be their for you. We are his children and as such he wants to love and take care of us. when you have a real relationship with God it like haveing someone who will always be there for you no madder what happens. He will never abandon you. God is the one and only thing that will never let you down. By letting him into your life God will not only turn it around, but he will give you a feeling of peace in your heart that will feel like nothing you have EVER felt. Don't give up on God because he loves you and he will never give up on you.
                Comment>

I can add little to the wisdom that my predecessors have shown in this discussion group for indeed, in the councel of many is much wisdom.
                  What I can do though is offer up a small, miniscule suggestion that might perhaps offer some solice and a bit more substance than I could ever give you on my own Nora.

To start, in Job 2:9 we have Job's wife making the statement, "Curse God and die". Was she tired of her husband moping around and scraping the boils off of his skin which prompted her to offer her opinion? Possibly, but I truly believe that she knew that he would NEVER curse God nor give up and challenged him to do what he had always done: Believe Him and Trust Him.

The "trick" is this: It is one thing to believe IN God and ON God but another thing totally when we BELIEVE Him. Believing in Him and on Him is a good thing, but believing Him is magnificent!

The bottom line to what I am rambling about is I do recommend a full reading of the book of Job. Even if you have read it before, read it again but this time taking in everything that is said and done.

Last thing to note: I have been where you are at and then some. We are two totally different people but I have found that Job has something for everyone no matter the differences in personalities and circumstances. Please do try it out! Think about it: the very worse you can do is improve your Biblical reading skills.

May God Bless You and Give You Peace Nora. I Ask That His Hands Will Be Upon You This Very Day. Amen or "So Be It" !!
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap