Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Does marriage have any eternal significance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does marriage have any eternal significance?

Good morning, I want to ask this (though I'm not yet married but it makes me sad when this question comes to my mind), If marriage is just a worldly thing with one benefit and that is to multiply and bring forth children then why do we treat it spiritually, and integrate the marriage and the church, and integrate prayers in a marriage ceremony, and say that the husband and the wife are one and so, my question is: Does marriage has any significant aspect to it (will it make a difference in my eternal life what kind of wife did I have or how my relationship with her went on), or is it just a worldly practice to bring children to the world and raise them up? Will it end with death and nothing will continue to connect me and my wife in the eternal life, it makes me sad that love is very powerful yet it could end with death and this bond will no longer exist? I'm sorry if I was not understandable enough, please ask if you think that any part of the question is not clear.

Sorry for the short answer. It is after midnight and I need to get SOME sleep tonight.

Marriage is not eternal, but it is 90% spiritual. It is ALL about God from first to last.
    Start in Genesis 2. Examine who created the roles? What are those roles? What do those roles teach us, as men, women human brings and as Christians about responsibility and leadership and submission?

Where does God's plan and definition for FAMILY happen in comparison to sin and the fall? Before or after?

What does the relationship between a Husband and a Wife teach us about the relationship between Jesus Christ and the Church (His bride)? And what does Christ and the Church teach us about how God expects Hubands and Wives to relate?

Start to ask and search Scripture for God's answers to these questions and you will discover the mystery and the miracle and in gift of God that is Marriage.
    Arthur
    Comment>

I've always been a romantic, so I have always thought that the moment you have pledged your love in front of God and men, then it transcends through the different planes, through the physical and spiritual. Then again, maybe that's just me, as I do plan to be with the person I marry, through sickness and in health, through bad times and good, and death won't even release me from my vow. But hey, like I said, I'm a bit of a romantic, so I may be a little biased with my answer.
      Comment>

My husband's childhood friend is now a Mormon bishop. In one occasion that we had met, I heard him talking about "sealing" a process or ritual that links him to his wife. That "sealing" will assure him an eternal marriage. It really surprised me to hear of such a thing. What I believe in is that marriage is valid only in this material world and when we die, it is dissolved. Although there was this question to Jesus about what happens when the widow had 7 husbands (I hope I am correct with the numbers), what we have in this physical world will be different in the spiritual world.
        Comment>

Everything we do in this life, including marriage, has eternal significance. Everything we do will be judged after we leave this life and it will affect us for all eternity. The things we do have an impact on others in ways that may be eternally significant. A marriage can produce children who have eternal souls.

In addition marriage is a picture of the relationship between Christ and the church.
          Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
          (Ephesians 5:22-33 ESV)

Clyde Herrin's Blog
          Comment>

atpollard thank you for the thought provoking questions, I would love to hear more of what you have to say on the subject too.

I know there is a mystery in marriage. Most of the blessings I have received since giving over my life to Christ have come through my marriage. I see the Lord blesses me through my husband and I see the most important work I have to do is inside my family and marriage, not in the outer world (as I used to think). I see the Lord is working on each of us, through the other. I never felt this before I was a true Christian. So I feel there is some mystery in marriage, as the Lord uses it as tool to shape and mold us, and reach the other for whatever purpose he bestows.
            Comment>

This is a very good question, one that I've pondered on for quite some time already. And here's my answer:

"For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven."

This was Jesus's answer to that widows with seven husbands question. This is from Matthew 22:30 and this is what some experts use to explain that there will be no marriage in heaven. It can be taken in two ways. The first one would be that there would be no marriage in heaven because these people were already married on Earth. And this marriage will continue on until heaven, which isn't possible because the widow has had seven husbands.

The second interpretation would be that in heaven, there will be no celebration of marriage because anything we've experienced in our Earthly life ceases to exist. Heaven is paradise and everything we've experienced as a mortal isn't even comparable to the pleasure of living in heaven. In heaven, we're all angels of God and though we might see our families and loved ones, our relation to them would be as fellow angels.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
                My husband's childhood friend is now a Mormon bishop. In one occasion that we had met, I heard him talking about "sealing" a process or ritual that links him to his wife. That "sealing" will assure him an eternal marriage. It really surprised me to hear of such a thing. What I believe in is that marriage is valid only in this material world and when we die, it is dissolved. Although there was this question to Jesus about what happens when the widow had 7 husbands (I hope I am correct with the numbers), what we have in this physical world will be different in the spiritual world.
                I am just not sure that is biblical accurate though. There is nothing in the bible ´above´ a normal marriage. Even the Bible doesn´t talk about anything past death, as to where you would be united in eternity. A lot of the wording used in marriage ceremonies are based on the bible, but not totally accurate to the meaning in the Bible. To the overall topic, I really don´t think so, but I do think the concept of heaven is beyond our ability to comprehend it. What happens is our ´perfection´ would be different than our spouses perfection?
                Comment>

There is a sense in which all Christians will be married for eternity whether they were married on earth or not. The church is called the Bride of Christ. The wedding will take place when Christ returns to rule the earth.
                  Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out,
                  “Hallelujah!
                  For the Lord our God
                  the Almighty reigns.
                  Let us rejoice and exult
                  and give him the glory,
                  for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
                  and his Bride has made herself ready;
                  it was granted her to clothe herself
                  with fine linen, bright and pure”—
                  for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.
                  (Revelation 19:6-8 ESV)
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

When we read things like Matthew 22:30 , as humans it makes us sad because we instinctively feel like we are going to lose something. If I tried to earn a living betting on what God was going to do, I would have lost my shirt many times over. However, after more than three decades of betting my life on God's character, I have come to view that as money in the bank. So I offer an observation and some thoughts from life towards speculation on Marriage and Heaven.

THE CHARACTER OF GOD:
                    God is a God of more, not less. It is in his character, innate to his being. When the law says "Do not murder" ... Jesus teaches that hating someone makes you guilty of murder in your heart ... More, not less. When Adam walked in the garden, he had fellowship with God. After the fall, God did not restore the old relationship. God chose to dwell not with man, but inside man. Near was not close enough ... A God of more, not less. I could fill pages with examples from scripture. It is inherent in the nature of God and reveals itself in everything he does.

AN EXAMPLE FROM LIFE:
                    I enjoy eating dinner with with my wife and daughter. There is something special about just the three of us gathered together. It is something that I enjoy and look forward to. So what about Thanksgiving Dinner? When we gather around a table with a large, extended family the atmosphere and character of that small three person family dinner is lost. Does that make Thanksgiving less? No. Thanksgiving does not diminish the meal, it enhances it. Thanksgiving does not diminish the family, it increases it. Thanksgiving does not diminish the joy and fellowship, it magnifies it.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MARRIAGE:
                    While we live, we are imperfect. We have a limited capacity to love. A limited ability to be in deep, relationship. So while we are in this world, infinitely wise God has given us a finite task. One beyond our natural ability, but within grasp with God's grace (unearned special favor). We are called to love one other person.

Yet God is at work in us. Perfecting us. We SHALL be like Him. We shall be with Him. We (all of us whom God has chosen) shall be His bride. It seems to me, not a season of LESS, but of MORE. Like Thanksgiving, it is a Greater Marriage. At Thanksgiving, my small family doesn't stop being my family, my family is expanded. More, not less. So I suspect will our heavenly marriage be. Our love and fellowship with our spouse is not diminished, it is perfected and it grows to embrace our brothers and sisters in the same perfect relationship of One Body married to an even greater, perfect groom. Our Lord Jesus.

So, those are my musings based on observing the character of God.
                    I hope you find it of some benefit.

Arthur
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap