Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Dreams and premonitions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreams and premonitions.

One preacher once told a congregation that God sometimes communicate with His people through dreams. Some dreams are a warning of what might happen and you can prevent it through prayers. Others are good dreams and you still can proclaim them through prayers.

Do you sometime feel guilty when you dream bad about somebody, and then something bad happens to the person you saw in your dreams or even you yourself, do you feel guilty when you know maybe you could have prevented trouble if you took a minute to pray?

Do you believe in dream interpreters that are found on search engines?

I don't put a lot of stock in dream interpretations as dreams have this confounding ability to mutate from one thing to another faster than you can blink. You can go from good to bad and back very quickly, without even realizing that there was a change, until the dream is over. There is probably a reason why most of us never remember our dreams upon awakening. For the most part we have a vague notion that at least part of the ride was ugly, but without a moment-by-moment recall, we can move on with our day and not spend too much time thinking about it. Yes, I do think that dreams can be used by God to give us warnings of things to come, but unless that dream is extremely straight-forward in content, it can be difficult to interpret correctly. I once dreamed that an Airbus crash landed and a lot of passengers died. In the dream, I was there and was trying to help those people. I have no idea if that dream was a warning or not, but if it was, who do I tell? I don't know which airliner, or which country or any details like that. That's the problem with dreams, they can be agonizingly vague at times.
    Comment>

They're just dreams, nothing more. It's the way our stressed out minds relax, by floating above and beyond the realm of reality and into something a little more fluid. It's just dreams, I don't think you should feel bad about anything that happens to it, although studies HAVE shown that dreams are also the door to your subconscious desires, so if you truly dreamed of hurting someone, then I believe it's actually YOU who desires it, and manifests in your dreams, not some message from God or anything like that.
      Comment>

There were prophecies given that could be changed if the people who got the message repented. God can change the future and has done it before. He spared Nineveh, didn't He? If therefore you warn someone about something that's about to happen and they don't repent, you shouldn't feel guilty [if something bad happens to them] but if you gave no warning then as Ezekiel was told:[Ezekiel 3:19] If I warn the wicked, saying, 'You are under the penalty of death,' but you fail to deliver the warning, they will die in their sins. And I will hold you responsible for their deaths." That's why apart from praying, you should tell them [whoever you saw in your dreams] about your dream.
        Comment>

I absolutely believe in the power of God to speak to us through dreams. It is all over the Old Testament. Not only that, it is still pretty prevalent in many cultures, just not more modern cultures like Western Europe and America. We recently had missionaries come "home" for a time of update and prayer to our church. They minister in Asia - mostly to Muslims. The number one request on their prayer list is to pray for God to speak to these people in dreams, because it is "what they are expecting." They are taught, since childhood, to take their dreams absolutely seriously, and to expect to hear from God in that way.

No, I don't believe in Internet dream interpreters. Nor do I believe that as a modern Christian with the Word of God readily at my disposal, that I should be LOOKING for God in dreams as a primary communication. But I don't discredit that it happens still and is real.
          Comment>

Originally posted by flonyash View Post
            One preacher once told a congregation that God sometimes communicate with His people through dreams. Some dreams are a warning of what might happen and you can prevent it through prayers. Others are good dreams and you still can proclaim them through prayers.

Do you sometime feel guilty when you dream bad about somebody, and then something bad happens to the person you saw in your dreams or even you yourself, do you feel guilty when you know maybe you could have prevented trouble if you took a minute to pray?

Do you believe in dream interpreters that are found on search engines?
            I would suggest that the Preacher read Hebrews 1:1 "Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets," I'd ask the preacher what were the many ways of "old"? God spoke to our fathers in the past through visions and dreams by the Prophets, but Hebrews 1:2 says, "but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world."

To answer your question, not only do I feel guilty about mistreating somebody in dreams but in real life, but regarding dreams I felt bad about things I never even did in real life. This was something I went through in the past, but rarely happens anymore.

Concerning dream interpreters that are found on search engines, no for the most part. Most of the time I find the symbolic reference is unknown to me. If the reference is unknown then it had no meaning when given to me. I used to entertain dreams, for years, not as a prophetic means by which to hear God, but in an attempt to learn more about myself and heal from past tragedies. To experiment, I stopped watching all television, listening to radio, and heavily filtered the internet for months. I then noticed a big shift in my dreams, when I was able to track what I was exposed to. My dreams directly correlated with what I encountered, and most often what I was subject to tried to make a direct parallel to a past experience in my life as some form of identity recognition. So if I watched a program on the prefect screw driver, my dreams would produce incidents involving screw drivers, or incidents surrounding a screw driver. Clearly, my mind tries to identify things in order to understand them through patterns associated in memory. The screw driver was used in memory to identify things surrounding the screwdriver, whether my own emotions attached to that particular object, or as a marker in time to other incidents happening in my life. The real kicker is when an object encompasses a certain or multiple emotions. Another words, an emotion called love manifests a woman. Whenever that woman appears in my dream, I need to recognize the reality behind the symbol (her) which correlates to the emotion.

And no doubt, we can use an objects past behavior to determine future behavior. Understanding our history and how we react to something can be used to determine our future behavior. Example, a spider bit me, I had strong emotional responses, as an experiment, a spider is shown to me which results in past behavior being replicated when exposed to spiders. Another words, I repeat history, sub consciously, until I deal with or work on my responses to that certain exposure.

Personally, I think there are benefits to introspection, self examination, and if necessary tapping into our dreams. But given the mass amount of stimuli we are subjected to, I think turning to dreams is a very poor indicator unless we can establish what is from us or external stimuli. In most cases, as I previously mentioned, they are directly related.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

To me it's not a matter of intepreting the dream like a guideline or a prophecy, but more about what it means to me and how I can use it to become a better person. I would be skeptical about any dream where someone tells me "Go do this.", if what they asked would be hurting someone unprovoked.

There is such a thing as an 'epiphany' dream and they are nothing like the usual transmutable dreams we have in any day. Anyone who had one these dreams will attest to the feeling of awe that floods the dream and gives them a sense of unity, and the unshaking belief that one is never alone but always in the presence of the Allmighty. When one wakes up from these dreams they are changed, somehow, in a much more profound way than waking from an 'aha!' dream (where you get a flash of understanding about something).

Maybe it's a process of psychological maturation through living something via dream, but I strongly believe that in general dreams are a very easy way for us to understand the world around us and be given answers about lifelong questions that riddle our minds. So in that sense I believe that dreams are indeed godgiven.
              Comment>

For me, a dream is a concoction of the mind. It is an outlet to express a hidden emotion like a desire or a regret. But sometimes, a dream makes me think that it might be a way of communication with the dead. I have no basis for that, it's just a coincidence maybe that there are times I get to dream something that has a meaning which is relevant to a decision I need to make. Like when I had applied for a job and I got an offer from 3 companies, I had that dream which clearly named the company that I should join. And I think that is a very wise decision that I had made because the company is a good one.

Some 5 y ears ago, I had this dream about my father telling me something about my mother. I considered it an ordinary dream and maybe an effect of my longing for my father who had died 15 years ago. In a few days, my mother was hit by a stroke. And then I realized that in my dream that stroke had a premonition.
                Comment>

Corzhens wow it really does sound like you have had some premonitory dreams.

Acts 2:17 "In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams."

I have had only a few experiences that stand apart. I don't know that they were any sort of premonition or God speaking to me, but they seem to have come from outside of me, as the information in them was foreign to me.

Once at a time I was very sick and taking a lot of different medications, I had a dream of glistening, shiny black pebble like things. They stood out, the color was so vivid, they were so prominent, and something I never encountered before. When I woke up I couldn't stop thinking about them and started googling it. I right away came up with "activated charcoal", which is something you can take to soak up poisons or medications in your system. I thought it was so strange because I really was on a lot of different things (when I usually never take any medicines) and wondering about side effects making me feel even worse. I went to the health food store that day, bought and took the charcoal, and I felt a million times better the next morning. It was a strange occurrence I'll always remember.
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap