Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

A Reply To StratCat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Reply To StratCat

In the thread Papal Infallibility, Stratcat wrote
    Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
    Bede, the church is the body of Christ--all believers, who are the Biblical saints of the Bible, not necessarily those that the RCC calls saints. The RCC is trying to play God the judge in who is a saint. Saints are all believers, are the body of Christ, the children of God, elect from the foundation of the world (Revelation 17:8), the bride of Christ. The church is built on the rock (Jesus Christ), not Peter, the small stone, which in Greek is Petros. The rock in Greek is Petra. Peter would not recognize the church today if he were to return. The Pope does just what the Bible says not to do, being called "Holy Father", claiming revelations which add to Scripture, thinks himself not a sinner, which is a lie and the truth of the Father is not in him, forbidding to marry those who choose to become RCC priests, which the Bible calls doctrine of devils, nuns claiming they marry Jesus, which is not so as all believers will be married to Christ in the future in glory. RCC commits idolatry by praying to saints and angels and statues (I've witnessed it) when they should only pray to (part of worship) God in spirit and in truth, and He seeks such to worship Him. People, know your Bibles in truth, don't go twisting everything around 6 ways from Sunday!
    I promised a reply; so here it is.

"Bede, the church is the body of Christ--all believers, who are the Biblical saints of the Bible, not necessarily those that the RCC calls saints. The RCC is trying to play God the judge in who is a saint. Saints are all believers, are the body of Christ, the children of God, elect from the foundation of the world (Revelation 17:8), the bride of Christ."

Yes, but you misunderstand what the Catholic Church means by a Saint (capital “S”). A saint (small “s”) is the body of Christ, the bride of Christ. However the Church has discerned that some, because of the example of their lives, or their teaching, are particularly worthy as examples or role models for us. We call these Canonised Saints or just Saints with a capitalised ‘S’. This in no way denies that all Christians are saints.

"The church is built on the rock (Jesus Christ), not Peter, the small stone, which in Greek is Petros. The rock in Greek is Petra."

Jesus names Peter "Kephas" – Aramaic for rock (a big one). Petros is a translation into Greek and uses the masculine because Peter was a man. In the Greek of Peter’s time there was no difference of meaning between Petros and Petra.

"Peter would not recognize the church today if he were to return."

He would be amazed at how big the Catholic Church has grown and is fulfilling the mission to “make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you”

"nuns claiming they marry Jesus, which is not so as all believers will be married to Christ in the future in glory. "

Nuns do not claim they literally marry Jesus. Some female congregations have used that imagery to denote their total commitment to Jesus in their way of life.

“In the consecrated life particular importance attaches to the spousal meaning, which recalls the Church's duty to be completely and exclusively devoted to her Spouse, from whom she receives every good thing.” Pope John Paul II , The Consecrated Life, March 25 1996)

As St. Paul says in 1Cor 7:3
    “A wife does not have authority over her own body, but rather her husband…”

"forbidding to marry those who choose to become RCC priests, which the Bible calls doctrine of devils"

The Catholic Church does not forbid priests to marry.

A man or woman has a choice to follow a particular calling from God. If a man chooses to become a priest in the Latin Rite then he chooses to forgo the option of marrying unless he leaves the priesthood (as some have done). He is not forced to become a priest and therefore is not forced to take a vow of celibacy. It is his choice. But some choices rule out others.

If a man or a woman chooses to follow a celibate life as a priest, monk or nun then the Church expects them to faithfully honour that choice and the promises that go with it, just as if a man or a woman chooses to marry then the Church expects them to faithfully honour that choice and the promises that go with it.

Moreover it is not a doctrine but a discipline - hence cannot be a 'doctrine of devils'

"RCC commits idolatry by praying to saints and angels and statues (I've witnessed it) when they should only pray to (part of worship) God in spirit and in truth, and He seeks such to worship Him. People, know your Bibles in truth, don't go twisting everything around 6 ways from Sunday! "

Catholics do not pray to statues but to the people they represent.

Prayer in this context is asking them for their intercession. Such a request is Biblical.

As to worship, Catholics worship God the Biblical way in the Mass.

With all due respect, Bede, I disagree with every reply you made, but I appreciate your respectful responses. The fact that I did not convince you does not make me wrong, just that I didn't manage to get through to you. I have been instructed not to push too hard on this thread, so, I will just let it drop.
    Comment>
    Working...
    X
    Articles - News - SiteMap