Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Does the Bible offer hope?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Bible offer hope?

Does the Bible offer hope in this life?

It may seem like an obvious answer until you think about it. It seems to me that the "hope" verses that most people quote are misquoted.

For instance, Jeremiah 29:11 was written specifically to Israelites who were exiled to Babylon by King Nebuchadnezzar.

Another type of misquote I see is when the verse is really talking about the promise of new life in heaven.

I love that we are promised eternal life, but are we devoid of hope until then?

Is "supplying our needs" and "daily bread" what we have to go on through life?

He promises that "we will have trouble", but the consolation by saying it will be made right when we die doesn't offer hope when life just sucks for years on end.

What about when you follow and have faith in all the verses that offer healing, but it doesn't come?

What about when believers lie to you and your friends turn on you and you are left with nothing?

Is our only hope in dying so we can cash in on eternal life?

For me, it is a connection to the Holy Spirit that offers the peace and hope promised in the words of the Bible.

I do believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, and I believe the truth of it when it says that if you "read these words" and "obey" you will be blessed. But I wouldn't believe nor "feel" anything if I didn't also have salvation through Jesus Christ, an ongoing relationship with him, and an Earthly connection TO him through the Holy Spirit.

I'm hesitant to throw the Bible into the hands of un-believers and just say, "Here, this will give you hope!"

It might. It might not.

Hope, peace, enduring love, faith... all that comes from the relationship. Then, The Bible is just a tangible way to connect and receive direction.
    Comment>

Originally posted by clairebeautiful View Post
      I'm hesitant to throw the Bible into the hands of un-believers and just say, "Here, this will give you hope!"
      It's best not to make assumptions.

Thank you for sharing how it works in your experience. I hope you don't have to experience a Job season.
      Comment>

Originally posted by wanderer View Post

It may seem like an obvious answer until you think about it. It seems to me that the "hope" verses that most people quote are misquoted.

For instance, Jeremiah 29:11 was written specifically to Israelites who were exiled to Babylon by King Nebuchadnezzar.

Another type of misquote I see is when the verse is really talking about the promise of new life in heaven.

I love that we are promised eternal life, but are we devoid of hope until then?

Is "supplying our needs" and "daily bread" what we have to go on through life?

He promises that "we will have trouble", but the consolation by saying it will be made right when we die doesn't offer hope when life just sucks for years on end.

What about when you follow and have faith in all the verses that offer healing, but it doesn't come?

What about when believers lie to you and your friends turn on you and you are left with nothing?

Does the bible offer a message of hope? Yes, but not without tribulation. One of the characteristics of a false prophet is that they tend to focus their audience on the positive things without relaying the reality of life or its tribulations. For example, "you're going to the promised land", a false prophet may say, and in doing so fail to mention that first you're going to wander in the desert for 40 years.

As far as any reluctance in giving the bible to an unbeliever, I suggest you rethink your reluctance and understand salvation is of God alone. No matter how you dress up the Bible, our belief ultimately comes from God.

In John 10:26, But you do not believe, because you are not of my sheep". Notice the Scripture does not say you are not my sheep BECAUSE you don't believe. What does the verse say? And also it is written that in Romans 10:17 "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."

Feel no reluctance sharing the word of God or giving the word of God to another. If they reject it, there are other reasons, such as the natural man's sinful nature, which is at enmity against God.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

I was born and raised in Bible reading, in our home and also in school. At first, I thought that the Bible is just a literary book. But when I grew up, I realized that it is something concerning our life and the life beyond. I have that idea before that when we die, everything dies including our consciousness. Death is the end. But the Bible is giving us hope that there is life beyond the physical death and that we should believe in order to be saved. Most of us are hoping to get to heaven, whatever heaven may be on our minds, because we do not want to be ended. That may be the reason why the Bible keeps on getting believers because of the hope that it gives to humans.
          Comment>

Yes, the bible does offer hope. During times that I was at the lowest point in my life, the only thing that has helped me through it was the bible. Each time I read it, I felt relief and comfort. Relief in knowing that God is there for me and comfort in knowing that these are just trials and that I will get through them, just like all these other people had.

The same goes for times of happiness or gratitude, I pick up the bible because there's something to be thankful for. It's not only during the times of distress that the bible has helped me, but it has helped me become more closer to God in times of happiness as well. I guess, what I'm saying is, the bible is there for every event in our lives, be it positive or negative.

It gives us hope, but more than that, it brings us closer to God. It's a great way of learning about His teachings and interpreting it as best as we can. I cannot remember the number of times I've turned to the bible whenever I experienced something positive or negative in my life.

When it comes to sharing the bible with others, or even the word of God, I find no reluctance with it at all. I feel like it's our duty as Christians to spread His word and make people understand just why we have faith. Yes, there were times that I was laughed at or even shunned because of my faith, but still, I will choose to spread His word, because it is what I believe in and it is my duty.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Deka View Post
              I feel like it's our duty as Christians to spread His word and make people understand just why we have faith.
              Hello Deka,

Nice meeting you. I'd just thought to reassure you of our duty:

Matthew 28:16-20

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
              And 1 Peter 3:15

but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,
              God bless,
              William
              Comment>

If this life is the test and after we pass on is the reward, how can we prove ourselves if things are made too easy in this life? It's easy to be a good morale person when things are going well, but can you restrain from stealing from others when your family are starving? Maybe we shouldn't be given too much hope in this life to really show our true character.... That or the people who put together the Bible had no control over what happens to you in this life but could promise you things in the after life as you can't disprove them.... It might show that I'm not 100% into the Bible :)
                Comment>

I don't think there's a unanimous answer to if the bible offers hope or not, as it depends on the individual and even what their mood is as to what they get out of a passage or a chapter.

I myself have got hope from reading quotes from the bible but there as been other times when I've sought some guidance and have found none.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by wanderer View Post
                    First, don't loose sight of the fact that bad things happen without God as well.
                    People wallowing in sin suffer treachery at the hands of friends.
                    The unsaved suffer pain and loss and ultimately death.
                    Feeling all alone and picked on, isn't just for Christians.
                    Without Jesus, you just suffer with no reason for a hope within you ... because there is no hope within you.
                    You have no promise of never being left or forsaken, because you are alone and forsaken.

Enough of that.

Setting aside the quest for a Christian Talisman (some magic words or actions that will, without fail, make everything all better so I never need to know sadness or pain) ... there is, or so I have discovered, a power inherent in the word of God. Reading Scripture changes my perspective in ways that I was unable to predict. While often, this means the circumstances remained unaltered, it usually means that my focus has been shifted from Me to God and my perception has been revised to allow me to say, at worst "Lord, I do not understand, but I trust" and at best "Tough He slay me, yet will I praise Him".

In a sense, it is like marriage. If it is all about "feeling" in love, you will be divorced in 6 months. If it is about CHOOSING to love, it can last a lifetime.
                    There is hope in the Bible.
                    Not a hope yo avoid trouble, but a hope to get through the trouble ...
                    ... believing that ALL things work for our good and His glory.
                    Comment>

Hope for those who have followed the Word of God, sure. But hope for sinners for redemption? I don't think so. Various texts have mentioned the "consequences" of our actions, whatever deadly sin we have indulged when we are still alive, the same ironic consequence will follow us in the afterlife. Hope is for those who have been wronged in this life, that redemption and justice will be given to them when they are on the other side.
                      Comment>

No servant is greater than His master. When Jesus, the King of Kings came to earth He should have got the reception of a King but didn't. His own people rejected Him and all His life here on earth He was poor and had only a few friends. But through it all not once did He complain or ask God for a more cushy life. So though the bible might not promise us that we'll get all that God has promised in this life, like Jesus when we are raised from the dead, we'll be going home where there'll pain, no sorrow — only joy. That should be reason enough to be happy in this life because no matter how hard life might be we get our happy ending eventually.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by OursIsTheFury View Post
                          Hope for those who have followed the Word of God, sure. But hope for sinners for redemption? I don't think so. Various texts have mentioned the "consequences" of our actions, whatever deadly sin we have indulged when we are still alive, the same ironic consequence will follow us in the afterlife. Hope is for those who have been wronged in this life, that redemption and justice will be given to them when they are on the other side.
                          That though would mean that anybody who as commited a wrongful act in life is beyond hope and is a lost cause, and personally I don't think that's the case at all.

The bible does offer hope to those who have sinned and who are repentant in my view, and I think a lot of people can go on to live fullfulled lives in the eyes of God who first started out on a wrong path.
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap