Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

The Holy Rosary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holy Rosary

The rosary is similar to the prayer beads of Tibetan lamas. It is composed of 5 decades where each decade has 10 beads to be prayed with Holy Mary and the start is the Lord's Prayer to be by a Glory Be. The rosary praying is repetitive in nature as per tradition that the prayer is heard by God when it is repeated and repeated. The rosary praying is a daily activity of the nuns in monasteries who pray not for themselves but for the petitions of other people. It is normal for a monastery to have a church where laymen can go and submit their petitions (written on paper). In homes, there are families who pray the rosary as a way of bonding of parents with their children and grandchildren.

Born Again Christians and other Fundamentalists say that the rosary is evil. I don't know hwy.

Since I'm a Catholic, I do pray the rosary as well. We usually pray the rosary during the Holy Week, when we're in the cemetery or just when we need some guidance from God. My husband went to a Catholic school, St. Paul's College, and they were taught early on how to pray the rosary. In fact, my school didn't even teach us that, so in that regard, I look highly upon their school. Like you said, nuns pray the rosary everyday, the same goes for the nuns in that school, since nuns operate and manage that school as well as priests. Before the start of a mass here in our church, there is also a rosary session first.

Some religion sects consider the rosary evil simply because it hails Mama Mary in its verses. Since many of the prayers in the rosary are directed to Mama Mary, a lot of religious sects is against praying the rosary. They aren't against Mama Mary or the rosary per se, but just the hailing of Mama Mary more than Jesus or God. At least, this is what I've researched.

I hope this helps!
    Comment>

Refer to:404 Not Found
      Comment>

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
        Born Again Christians and other Fundamentalists say that the rosary is evil. I don't know why.
        Perhaps the answer is found in the first sentence of your post. The rosary resembles the prayer beads used by Tibetan lamas. The use of the rosary is not found in the Bible but is copied from nonChristian religions.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
          Perhaps the answer is found in the first sentence of your post. The rosary resembles the prayer beads used by Tibetan lamas. The use of the rosary is not found in the Bible but is copied from nonChristian religions.
          I don't know where Marie's idea of Tibetan lamas came from but the origin of the Rosary is more complicated than that and not pagan at all.

I understand that it's roots go back to the practice of monastics and priests reciting the psalms. In the most widely used monastic rule, that of Saint Benedict, the monks recited all 150 psalms during the course of the week.

Poor people, unable to read said 150 “Our Father’s” instead, using knotted cords or beads on cords. The Our Father in Latin is Paternoster and there is still a street in London called Paternoster Row, where such beaded cords were made. When devotion to Mary grew the original greeting of Gabriel to Mary was used expressed as “Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee”. Later Elizabeth’s greeting was added (Lk 1:42) and then other words added until we get the Hail Mary as we know it today. In the15th century the idea of meditating on the events of Christ’s life was introduced and the beads divided into sets of 10. It gradually evolved to what we have today which is a meditation on the life of Christ.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap