Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Catholicism is the favorite whipping boy of other sects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholicism is the favorite whipping boy of other sects

I was born and raised a Catholic and even got my education in Catholic schools and university. With that, it is obvious that I am a devout Catholic. And a Catholic is tame and forgiving when it comes to criticisms about my religion. I just wonder why the other sects are overly critical of Catholicism. Is it because there are so many incorrect things in the way Catholics worship God? For example, the statues of saints in the Catholic church is idolatry to other sects so they are centering on that issue. Another is the blood of animals where the Catholics don't care but other sects are too conscious of the blood that sometimes mix in the food. But as what my religion subject teacher said, we should not engage in arguments nor debates about our beliefs because it is like a long and winding road with no end.

I can see why there are criticisms with some of the tradition. Praying to certain saints and the Virgin Mary aren't a component of other sects. I've heard people go as far as saying praying to the Virgin Mary statues and what not is equivalent to idolatry.
    Comment>

Perhaps I am wrong, but I see it as fear of Catholicism, because it has a lot of information and traditions that are not written about in the Bible. So I think there is a fear, not knowing if that stuff is Holy, or actually inspired by the devil. But the fact that it is often accused of being satanic makes me thing that deep down there is belief in the information and traditions of Catholicism, yet the intense fear of where they have come from.

To me I see a lot of other denominations as being very grounded and of this world. Whereas Catholicism I see as being more open to acknowledging the spiritual world. That is pretty scary for some people. And it should be of course, because it is the unseen world we don't belong in and don't know what goes on in. But to me that is the beauty of Catholicism. It brings a thread from the spiritual world into the material, and acknowledges there is more to this world than meets the eye.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Marie View Post
        Perhaps I am wrong, but I see it as fear of Catholicism, because it has a lot of information and traditions that are not written about in the Bible. So I think there is a fear, not knowing if that stuff is Holy, or actually inspired by the devil. But the fact that it is often accused of being satanic makes me thing that deep down there is belief in the information and traditions of Catholicism, yet the intense fear of where they have come from.

To me I see a lot of other denominations as being very grounded and of this world. Whereas Catholicism I see as being more open to acknowledging the spiritual world. That is pretty scary for some people. And it should be of course, because it is the unseen world we don't belong in and don't know what goes on in. But to me that is the beauty of Catholicism. It brings a thread from the spiritual world into the material, and acknowledges there is more to this world than meets the eye.
        Nicely put Marie.

Comment>

I've been pondering on this a bit more. There seems to be a small, but very active, minority of protestants who hate the Catholic Church and view it as the enemy. In war it can be common for one side to demonise the other; to put about atrocity stories to make the others seem not quite human. It justifies their attacks on them.

So we get some protestants who claim the Catholic Church is not christian but pagan, full of pagan practices and beliefs. A typical example of this is the link that motirattan gave in another thread: 404 Not Found

These sites are full of distortions, half truths and outright lies. Some points can be refuted easily but mostly, refuting them is like trying to stick jelly to a ceiling because they are just generalised assertions with no evidence provided. The people that post these links will rarely stay around and discuss them and provide the evidence for the claims (because there is none). It seems to be a case of - if you throw enough mud some of it may stick.

A typical example is:
          "the Roman Lupercalia and the feast of purification of Isis became the Feast of the Nativity; the Saturnalia celebrations were replaced by Christmas celebrations".

No evidence is provided of how, when or where this is supposed to have happened.

I can't find what this “purification of Isis” is supposed to be. But Lupercalia took place in February. The Nativity is of course December 25th.

Saturnalia took place from 17 to 23 December. Christmas does not start until 25th December, so hardly replacing Satunalia.

What does take place in the Church before Christmas is Advent which is a penitential season, like a shorter version of Lent, quite the opposite of Saturnalia.

The level of even basic scholarship and logic on thse sites is appalling. And yet gullible people and the intellectually challenged feed on them.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post
            There seems to be a small, but very active, minority of protestants who hate the Catholic Church and view it as the enemy. In war it can be common for one side to demonise the other; to put about atrocity stories to make the others seem not quite human. It justifies their attacks on them.
            That is true. What I find interesting is the intense hatred, criticism, and defamatory arguments against Catholicism by other CHRISTIAN denominations. Are we not to love our neighbors? Meanwhile, having grown up around only Catholics, I have never known one Catholic who criticizes or condemns any other denomination, or puts any sort of great effort or concern into proving them wrong.

When I was open to searching through all denominations for a home, I found out quickly I wasn't welcome in quite a few of them if I did not see things 100% their way. There was no tolerance for dissent - conform or get out.

This is where Catholicism gathers all the broken and wounded, gives them a home, no matter what their views. I find it is ok in Catholicism if you "don't get it", it understands the confusion and suffering of people, knows this life is hard to figure out, and just meets people where they are.

This is in opposition to some other denominations, who seem to say, you are confused? Let me explain it to you! This is how it is, period. You aren't fixed yet? You don't believe what I taught you? You have questions I can't properly answer? You aren't one of us!! Get out!!

I know that sounds harsh, however it has very literally been my experience with quite a few denominations. It actually made me quite nervous how viciously some people could attack another Christian, and attempt to discredit their salvation. It's one of the things that led me back to the Catholic Church. I felt I could most be myself there, and be met with love and acceptance at whatever place I was, without fear of condemnation or judgement.
            Comment>

I'll answer this as a somewhat former anti-Catholic. I'll point out what I used to think and what I think now.

The first reason for me not liking Catholics was their extra-biblical activities. Many examples can be found in this link Inside The Scroll - Inside the Catholic Catechism . [Now I am sure you have many refutations ready for that link but hold onto your butts. So do I. So let's agree to disagree as we are not here to argue whether Catholics are right or not.] Now previously, I would have dismissed any Catholics as not Christians based on ALL of those points. But now-a-days I think differently. I think there are many Catholics who put varying degrees of importance to these traditions. So, those among you who believe the main salvation doctrine that (Jesus Christ is son of God, came down ... etc.) are saved. But those who put MORE importance to Mary and statues THAN Father, Son and Holy Ghost are not saved. So by this new standard, I think a lot of Catholics are Christians. But not all.

The second reason for me right now is their current pope. Anybody who ever even read the Bible once will clearly see this guy is an imposter. I do not remember him saying anything that does not downplay Christianity and God and elevate other religions and gods. He is everything I do not want to see in a Christian. I would much rather like Catholics get a Godly Pope who does not bend the words of the Bible to suit modern wisdom and culture. I do not know for sure but I read that the one before this guy was a good Pope. I cannot imagine how Catholics do not kick out this fraud and tolerate his heresy everyday. I would have done something or left.

You may deny it but Catholics have this tendency to think that they are the ONE TRUE CHURCH. And contrary to what some said above a good number of them DO hate protestants. I know. I have spent a lot of time arguing with them. I am not disagreeing that the life-goal of a lot of protestants also seem to be hating on Catholics. This is useless. I know why I am not a Catholic and Catholics know why they are not non-Catholics. So as I tell other protestants to turn down the heat and focus on saving non-Christians, I will say the same to you. Heck, I even like that there are so many Catholics in the world. They boost our total numbers quite high. God be praised.

So to sum it up. No I don't hate Catholics. I do not agree with Catholicism. But if I am to choose between a Catholic and a non-Christian, I would choose the Catholic. I think all Christians should work on their common grounds and save non-Christians.

And finally, kick out the pope. Get a new one.
              Comment>

Originally posted by inlight12 View Post
                I'll answer this as a somewhat former anti-Catholic. I'll point out what I used to think and what I think now.

The first reason for me not liking Catholics was their extra-biblical activities. Many examples can be found in this link Inside The Scroll - Inside the Catholic Catechism . [Now I am sure you have many refutations ready for that link but hold onto your butts. So do I. So let's agree to disagree as we are not here to argue whether Catholics are right or not.] Now previously, I would have dismissed any Catholics as not Christians based on ALL of those points. But now-a-days I think differently. I think there are many Catholics who put varying degrees of importance to these traditions. So, those among you who believe the main salvation doctrine that (Jesus Christ is son of God, came down ... etc.) are saved. But those who put MORE importance to Mary and statues THAN Father, Son and Holy Ghost are not saved. So by this new standard, I think a lot of Catholics are Christians. But not all.
                Well thank you for your opinions.

Do you know that there is a maxim – "what is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence". And since you supply no evidence your opinions can be simply dismissed.

However I will assume that you want more than that.

So let me start by saying that what is important is what the Catholic Church actually teaches – not what some mythical Catholics believe or do.

NOWHERE does the Catholic Church teach that Mary or statues are more important than The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Quite the opposite. For example in the Catechism it states near the beginning of the section on prayer:
                "2564 Christian prayer is a covenant relationship between God and man in Christ. It is the action of God and of man, springing forth from both the Holy Spirit and ourselves, wholly directed to the Father, in union with the human will of the Son of God made man."

Every Sunday, at Mass we say the Nicene or Apostles creed, the Our Father. All liturgical prayer is directed to the Father, though the Son.

What do you mean by a “new standard”? When has the Catholic Church EVER put Mary and statues above the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

The second reason for me right now is their current pope. Anybody who ever even read the Bible once will clearly see this guy is an imposter. I do not remember him saying anything that does not downplay Christianity and God and elevate other religions and gods. He is everything I do not want to see in a Christian. I would much rather like Catholics get a Godly Pope who does not bend the words of the Bible to suit modern wisdom and culture. I do not know for sure but I read that the one before this guy was a good Pope. I cannot imagine how Catholics do not kick out this fraud and tolerate his heresy everyday. I would have done something or left.
                More ignorant insults WITHOUT A SINGLE PIECE OF EVIDENCE to support them.

“Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Cor 6:9-10)

You may deny it but Catholics have this tendency to think that they are the ONE TRUE CHURCH.
                It is the ONE TRUE CHURCH, founded by Jesus Christ.

Comment>

inlight12 thanks for your honest input, it does bring some light to the reasons others seem to be against Catholics. It feels like there is a lot of misinformation out there, or at least misinterpretation. I think Bede did a good job of refuting those points.

I am curious if all these people who so strongly believe against Catholicism have ever been to and contemplated a Catholic mass.

Comment>

Well, there's a few reasons why Catholicism is one of the most criticised religion out there:
                    • The first reason I could think of is because we are very traditional. In the sense that, we don't adhere to the modern world and lifestyles, so much that people become critical of our teachings. People don't like being told that what they are doing is wrong and sinful, so with that, you're bound to get criticism and conflicts. Then there's that issue with same-sex marriage which also falls under this traditional category.
                    • The second reason I could think of is because we are centralised. As compared to other sects, we are the sect that is easy to attack just because we're large and known by many.
                    • The third reason, since we're centralised and large, our religious leaders are on the spotlight. They're held as upright people so every mistake they commit can be scrutinised by the public eye. It doesn't help that some of them have been involved in scandals as well.
                    • The fourth reason, like you said, has to be because of some theological claims that some people don't find complete or true. Some doctrines are missing and like others have pointed, we have traditions that aren't really stated on the bible.
                    Anyway, despite these, I'm still a Catholic and I believe in my religion's teachings. However, I still respect other sects and religions and won't force them to become Catholics. Yes, I spread the word of God, but not to the extent of forcing people into it.
                    Comment>

Do you know that there is a maxim – "what is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence". And since you supply no evidence your opinions can be simply dismissed.

However I will assume that you want more than that.

So let me start by saying that what is important is what the Catholic Church actually teaches – not what some mythical Catholics believe or do.
                      Evidence of what? That you worship Mary? It is clear that you or some of you bow down/pray/chant etc. before Mary. Protestant call it idolatry. Papists call it veneration or something. Aside from that there are other practices that you also do which are listed on that link. Shall I also need to give evidence of them too? Do I need to post photo proof of them?

If you are wondering whether to call it worship or not and asking me for that evidence, you need to read my post again. Especially the part about holding onto your butts and agreeing to disagree.

What do you mean by a “new standard”?
                      I meant my new standard.

More ignorant insults WITHOUT A SINGLE PIECE OF EVIDENCE to support them.
                      Some of the Christians online have started calling Catholics under current pope as cuckolds. I hardly doubt they are wrong.

Yeah, right!
                      Comment>

inlight12 thanks for your honest input, it does bring some light to the reasons others seem to be against Catholics. It feels like there is a lot of misinformation out there, or at least misinterpretation. I think Bede did a good job of refuting those points.
                        I am not here to be educated about (mis)informations. I say what I believe and know them to be right. I just wanted to say that I no longer dislike Catholics and they can expect my help to reach out to non-Christians. But if they think they are going to convince me to believe one true church or some other nonsense, I am out.
                        Comment>

I just feel like we should all get along. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could direct my mental energy to proving things wrong in any denomination. But I don't care. We all acknowledge Jesus as our Savior and that is enough for me. This life is hard to figure out and we are all just doing the best we can. Everyone believes they are doing what's right for themselves, and I don't want to waste my energy judging others, especially Christians. In the end, you really don't know if you are right, and I don't know if I am right, and it would be arrogant and presumptuous to believe we know how others will be judged by our Lord.
                          Comment>

The undivided church began at Pentecost. Catholicism broke off from orthodoxy way before the great Catholic/Protestant schism. If I only had a dime for every time a sect, cult, or even independent church claimed to be the only true church.
                            Comment>

I just feel like we should all get along. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could direct my mental energy to proving things wrong in any denomination. But I don't care. We all acknowledge Jesus as our Savior and that is enough for me. This life is hard to figure out and we are all just doing the best we can. Everyone believes they are doing what's right for themselves, and I don't want to waste my energy judging others, especially Christians. In the end, you really don't know if you are right, and I don't know if I am right, and it would be arrogant and presumptuous to believe we know how others will be judged by our Lord.
                              That's an easy statement to make when not in power. When in power, Catholicism hadn't any issue laying many a burning faggot at the feet of Protestants.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap