Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

An Important Thought, Something To Think About

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Important Thought, Something To Think About

Now, these next two videos I'm going to post here represent my entire opinion on the matter, that we need to focus more on Jesus, less on religion, more on love, less on combating our very own brothers and sisters in Christ.

Link

Link

Link

Is it you?
    Comment>

Originally posted by slippy View Post
      Is it you?
      The man in the video? No.
      Comment>

Originally posted by AGustOfWind View Post
        less on combating our very own brothers and sisters in Christ.
        Yes, we must avoid combating our brothers and sisters in Christ, but Jesus also warned us to beware of those who pretended to be brothers but are not.
        Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
        (Matthew 7:15 ESV)

Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Everytime, I see something like "Why I hate religion, but love Jesus", I know that person is going to say something retarded. It's like saying I do not like life because it has death, rape, murder, theft etc. Jesus came to establish/evolve a religion, what he did and told us to do made Christianity, which can be clearly produced as an example of religion. e.g. Worshiping Jesus, it is Christianity aka religion. If you dislike religion so much and want to stop doing religion, you must also by definition stop worshiping Jesus.

A religion can have many sects. In fact, I cannot remember a single religion on this Earth that does not have any sect. Not a single one. Seriously. You can bring me any one and I'll point out the different sects in it. Even paganism, animism have sects and the difference is more pronounced there as each individual makes his own ways of religious acts.

The Bible is clear about a lot of things, it is also not clear about many things and it does not even concern itself with even many more things. What we as Christians should do is pick only those which are clear to us and follow them together. What is not clear or told to us by God, can be something where we can hold our individual beliefs. You want to avoid conflict among Christians? Don't discuss things not clear in the Bible. Don't impose extreme legalism on others. Some rules are good for things which are clearly forbidden in the Bible. But don't promote your personal preference as a rule.
          Comment>

Originally posted by inlight12 View Post
            Everytime, I see something like "Why I hate religion, but love Jesus", I know that person is going to say something retarded. It's like saying I do not like life because it has death, rape, murder, theft etc. Jesus came to establish/evolve a religion, what he did and told us to do made Christianity, which can be clearly produced as an example of religion. e.g. Worshiping Jesus, it is Christianity aka religion. If you dislike religion so much and want to stop doing religion, you must also by definition stop worshiping Jesus.

A religion can have many sects. In fact, I cannot remember a single religion on this Earth that does not have any sect. Not a single one. Seriously. You can bring me any one and I'll point out the different sects in it. Even paganism, animism have sects and the difference is more pronounced there as each individual makes his own ways of religious acts.

The Bible is clear about a lot of things, it is also not clear about many things and it does not even concern itself with even many more things. What we as Christians should do is pick only those which are clear to us and follow them together. What is not clear or told to us by God, can be something where we can hold our individual beliefs. You want to avoid conflict among Christians? Don't discuss things not clear in the Bible. Don't impose extreme legalism on others. Some rules are good for things which are clearly forbidden in the Bible. But don't promote your personal preference as a rule.
            Jesus came to abolish religion and replace it with him. He is the way, the truth, and the light.
            No, it's not a religion, it can be one, but, I think Jesus intended it to be a relationship with him, simple as that.
            It doesn't matter though, or does it? You see, the bible was NOT clear on MANY things, it was clear on some things, even then, there are always if's, and and's.

Link
            Comment>

Jesus came to abolish religion and replace it with him. He is the way, the truth, and the light.
              No, it's not a religion, it can be one, but, I think Jesus intended it to be a relationship with him, simple as that.
              It doesn't matter though, or does it? You see, the bible was NOT clear on MANY things, it was clear on some things, even then, there are always if's, and and's.

Link

James 1:27 "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

Comment>

Jesus came to abolish religion and replace it with him.
                Where did Jesus say that?
                Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

James 1:27 "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world."

Using a catholic priest as a defendant of Christianity, when they claim we're damned huh? I see.
                  Also, our modern day religion is not pure. At all. Which is why Jesus would condemn religion from today.

Also Origen, have you read a bible?
                  Comment>

Using a catholic priest as a defendant of Christianity, when they claim we're damned huh? I see.
                    Also, our modern day religion is not pure. At all. Which is why Jesus would condemn religion from today.

What makes you think that he's a Catholic? And Catholic or not, a guilty by association argument is not a sound refutation. Are you certain the priest wasn't Anglican etc?
                    Comment>

More times than I can count in English and the original languages.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                        More times than I can count in English and the original languages.

Then, let me ask you, you do know there are differences in the original, and some of the newer translations of the bible, correct?
                        Such as the addition of hell?
                        And several other things we've thrown in the bible?
                        Comment>

Jesus came to abolish religion
                          What a load of bull.

No, it's not a religion, it can be one, but,
                          So the Christianity is a religion AND not a religion at the same time. Is this some kind of quantum entanglement of dual states of matter and existence or something of that sort? Or am I being punked?

It doesn't matter though
                          Yes, it does. Terminology matters. You cannot just refuse to call something by a term which has a commonly accepted meaning. By your reasoning, we should not call the rules by which the citizens of a country is governed, law, because it is just a relationship people have with police and a bunch of people in black robes. People do what black robes tell and police enforce it. See it's relationship, not a law.

I think Jesus intended it to be a relationship with him, simple as that.
                          He was worshiped by His followers all the time and never stopped them or corrected them. If He thought that it was wrong to worship Him, don't you think He had plenty of time to correct them? And if you think He would let something He thinks wrong pass like that why does He need to correct other wrong things to all the other unbelievers? We see Him rebuke and correct disciples many times.
                          Does the Bible describe Jesus being worshiped?

And what do you mean by "relationship". How are we related to Jesus? (That He is our God.) And how do you express this relationship? By saying "Hi" to Him each morning? Because, if you show Him a glint of respect or reverence, you are worshiping Him and you are following a religion. So, good luck trying to meet and greet God everyday like your neighbor and then go on your business like nothing happened and call yourself a Christian. Now if you say, well it's not like that you know. Its just obeying His rules and teachings too. Well, congratulations, you are now a respectable member of society, but still not a Christian.

Then, let me ask you, you do know there are differences in the original, and some of the newer translations of the bible, correct?
                          Why don't you cut te bushes and show us the Bible verse where it is said that Jesus came to abolish religion?
                          Comment>

Lets hear your evidence. If you can prove your claim, start a new thread and we shall see.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by inlight12 View Post
                              What a load of bull.

So the Christianity is a religion AND not a religion at the same time. Is this some kind of quantum entanglement of dual states of matter and existence or something of that sort? Or am I being punked?

Yes, it does. Terminology matters. You cannot just refuse to call something by a term which has a commonly accepted meaning. By your reasoning, we should not call the rules by which the citizens of a country is governed, law, because it is just a relationship people have with police and a bunch of people in black robes. People do what black robes tell and police enforce it. See it's relationship, not a law.

He was worshiped by His followers all the time and never stopped them or corrected them. If He thought that it was wrong to worship Him, don't you think He had plenty of time to correct them? And if you think He would let something He thinks wrong pass like that why does He need to correct other wrong things to all the other unbelievers? We see Him rebuke and correct disciples many times.
                              Does the Bible describe Jesus being worshiped?

And what do you mean by "relationship". How are we related to Jesus? (That He is our God.) And how do you express this relationship? By saying "Hi" to Him each morning? Because, if you show Him a glint of respect or reverence, you are worshiping Him and you are following a religion. So, good luck trying to meet and greet God everyday like your neighbor and then go on your business like nothing happened and call yourself a Christian. Now if you say, well it's not like that you know. Its just obeying His rules and teachings too. Well, congratulations, you are now a respectable member of society, but still not a Christian.

Why don't you cut te bushes and show us the Bible verse where it is said that Jesus came to abolish religion?
                              You mean to tell me you don't think that we have a relationship with God? A direct one?
                              That's why Jesus came here, so we wouldn't need religion, and people such as a pope figure to communicate directly with him.

We don't deserve it. We ought to burn eternally in hell. Yet we have a relationship with God, why? Because God loved us, and so he said "Why not?"

Also, you mean to tell me that the bible is clear on EVERYTHING, and that Jesus clarified on EVERYTHING? No, it didn't. And no, he didn't. He left it for us to figure out, look where that's got us, bickering and squabbling over different beliefs.
                              Again, back to my original statement. What's the point in spraying perfume on a casket?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap