Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

From where should i consider to read the bible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From where should i consider to read the bible?

Tomorrow my mother wants me to promise that I won't read bible and I've to forcefully promise that. Today I'm guilty and googled parents vs Jesus and got Luke 14:26 and got that I've to choose Jesus over my non-believing parents and I should restart reading the bible with no more rigidity of reading two pages a day but read whatever I could do in my circumstances. I've completed Ruth by reading the Old Testament first and now should I start New Testament and if I've to start it from which book should i consider

The best place to start would be with one of the gospels. Matthew is the first but some people think John would be a better one to begin with. Whichever book you read, you will be reading God's word and all of it is inspired by God and is profitable.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Read the Gospels and you'll learn that to follow Jesus one must be willing to make sacrifices. If you family is against you getting to know Jesus more then you have to make a choice. You must choose between Jesus and your family. After reading the Gospels, read a few books written by Prophets in the old Testament. They too faced persecution and had few or no friends. Their writing should give you the motivation you need to seek God even more and as you do, He'll draw closer to you and you'll never feel lonely even if you have no one by your side.
      Comment>

I concur with what has been said here. I would go further to say that your primary duty is to God, and to your parents second. Which means that you are still required to hold to His commandments which includes honoring your father and mother. That being said, it is possible to be honorable to your parents and still be a follower of Christ. Respectfully convey to your mother that while it is important to obey her it is more important to obey God.
        Comment>

I would second reading the gospel of John, I think it's the best starting point for reading the new testament. Though honestly, as long as you are reading something, all will be fine.

And know that it is okay if there are times where you are simply unable to read the bible at all. Your circumstances have put you in the rough position where to obey God is to disobey your parents. You are called to honor your mother and father, not to obey them, and so it is right for you to pursue reading the bible even after being instructed not to. But your circumstances will make it so that there are times when you can't read anything because your family is hostile to your faith, and that is okay. God understands the situation you're in, he put you in it for a reason. Keep on with your faith, we'll be here for you.
          Comment>

The Gospel of John is always the most recommended as a starting place, but I like Matthew better. Always have.

I also encourage you to soak up as much about Jesus as you can before you start delving into the letters of the Apostle Paul - who is arguably a bit more difficult in my humble opinion. (Paul and I could have some serious arguments.)

I think reading a Proverb a day is always encouraging as well, as there are exactly 31. It is easy to go by the date and just dig in. They are short and sweet and full of wisdom nuggets.
            Comment>

If you have an iPod or a iPhone, go to Youtube and download the books of the bible. Here is the whole Holy Bible (King James Version) - . Just pick what you want to listen to when you have free time. That way you keep your promise about not reading the bible to your parents while still listening to the bible. I personally like going through the bible in order of the books, but Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are tedious. So I would start with the beginning of the New Testament and then start the Old Testament.

Flvto.biz will do longer mp3 for you to listen to.

If you listen on your computer instead of on you iPod, just keep two youtube videos up, one with some normal video of something you like and another with the audio bible. Keep the bible underneath but have the other playing on mute. Don't forget to wipe your history. Hope that helps.
              Comment>

John is indeed an excellent place to start, provided you have someone to *help you* along especially with the first chapter which does have a lot of meat in it.
                That said, I also agree with theophilus and clairebeautiful when the book of Matthew was mentioned. Most of it is a pretty easy read and can be consumed without a whole lot of tutoring and will gently lead you into the other gospels.

For the Old Testament, I personally started 40+ years at the beginning and worked my way through it but of course, not without some difficulty.
                I still read 1 chapter of Proverbs each morning along with my regular devotional. Most months have 31 days and there are 31 chapters and even now, after so many years I still find something in my daily chapter that could pertain to my day ahead. Actually, I've pretty much memorized everything but I still enjoy reading it.

I have already placed you on my prayer list motirattan! God knows who I am praying for and I am certain that things will work out in regard to your parents. It's a Romans 8:28 moment and maybe it is one verse you might like to memorize.
                Note: It does NOT say that all GOOD things come together for good, but merely *all things* come together for good. That means the good, bad and ugly. The promise of God stands firm and I have been through so many things not to believe that He is with You!

Hmmmmmm.......I think I might start a thread on that one! God Bless........Bobby
                Comment>

Look for those with gifts. Remember have patience. couse...
                  Matthew 7:7
                  7"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8"For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 1 Corinthians 12:1-11

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b]11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Some of you can be tought buy heaven itself to yourself...
                  Luke 17:21
                  He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed; 21nor will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or, 'There it is!' For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst.

I turn to a prophet and priest on facebook that i can recomend. Shes always give al her spare time to help people and do Gods will always, this is important...

Eva virginius on facebook(shes swedish)
                  GOD's messages (on facebook community)
                  Her blogg (you can find her blog truw facebook)

Hope your life will be fun with kingdom of heaven on earth and that you learn alot about truth and life.

Comment>

Originally posted by Disciple8484 View Post
                    7"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8"For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 1 Corinthians 12:1-11

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[a] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[b]11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed; 21nor will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or, 'There it is!' For behold, the kingdom of God is in your midst.

I turn to a prophet and priest on facebook that i can recomend. Shes always give al her spare time to help people and do Gods will always, this is important...

Hope your life will be fun with kingdom of heaven on earth and that you learn alot about truth and life.

You said, "she" is a priest. It seems to me that you're looking for the gifts one has in an office, but have ignored the requirements for the office. That is, unless your definition of priest is someone that posts Scripture online.
                    Comment>

I really think that studying the "gifts" are a bit premature at this time, for you are encouraging our young friend to eat meat when he clearly needs the milk of the Word. He is not only young in age but is very young in his Christian journey.

I have often seen some churches do the same thing. A young one, just born, and the one who catches him or her hands them the keys to the company car without waiting for them to grow enough for them to learn how to drive.

We do need to slow down a bit with the newborns lest they should become confused and break away because of the frustration.
                      Salvation is the important part and God has already made plans for him. Now, we and others need to show him first how to walk and get strong enough to run.

Note: I am not trying to rain on you at all and truly understand your exuberance but I have seen too many crash and burns to risk having one of God's younger children lose his will because of being told they need to fly with wings that have not yet sprouted.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

You said, "she" is a priest. It seems to me that you're looking for the gifts one has in an office, but have ignored the requirements for the office. That is, unless your definition of priest is someone that posts Scripture online.

Shes an prophet as women in old testament is prophets. As Pauls own doughters are prophets. Prophets does Gods will truw speak his will and words to church and people, prophets stand over priests and church as long as its Gods will.
                        Sex does not mather for God only his will. If woman can be prophets, they can be priests, since prophets is the highest you can be in our faith, paul recomends it, and its a reason why.

Gods kingdom is not only for a building in a church, its al around us. Of course God can use the net to do his will.

Have an nice day, hope it clears some for you.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Bobby Cole View Post

I really think that studying the "gifts" are a bit premature at this time, for you are encouraging our young friend to eat meat when he clearly needs the milk of the Word. He is not only young in age but is very young in his Christian journey.

I have often seen some churches do the same thing. A young one, just born, and the one who catches him or her hands them the keys to the company car without waiting for them to grow enough for them to learn how to drive.

We do need to slow down a bit with the newborns lest they should become confused and break away because of the frustration.
                          Salvation is the important part and God has already made plans for him. Now, we and others need to show him first how to walk and get strong enough to run.

Note: I am not trying to rain on you at all and truly understand your exuberance but I have seen too many crash and burns to risk having one of God's younger children lose his will because of being told they need to fly with wings that have not yet sprouted.
                          I have writen that people can recive each other in Kingdom of God, and thats why i pointed to this prophet. Since gifts can be hard to understand and do. But as those that are ready, they shuld know that they culd if they wanted by themself.
                          Couse God gives his gifts couse he belives on the person that he can manage it.
                          Comment>

Shes an prophet as women in old testament is prophets. As Pauls own doughters are prophets. Prophets does Gods will truw speak his will and words to church and people, prophets stand over priests and church as long as its Gods will.
                            Sex does not mather for God only his will. If woman can be prophets, they can be priests, since prophets is the highest you can be in our faith, paul recomends it, and its a reason why.

Gods kingdom is not only for a building in a church, its al around us. Of course God can use the net to do his will.

Have an nice day, hope it clears some for you.
                            Please provide Scriptural references.You make the argument that God can do anything, which seems to assume that God can lie as evidenced through contradicting himself?

God's will is revealed through his word. You said she is a prophet as are some women in the OT. Okay, lets examine her teachings on the subject of women elders. A prophet must speak the will of God, because the prophet does not speak for themselves, but as a mouth piece for God. Now the sticky part, and one which I will challenge you on. Does this prophet contradict a prior prophet? If a prophet only speaks from God and contradicts another prophet that also speaks from God, are we to assume that God contradicts himself? I would say no, but I will suggest here that we have a false prophet. That is, unless, you are going to argue that this prophetess is exempt from the requirements of the office for prophet? Seems you have already made that argument by suggesting sex doesn't matter which I assume you mean Gender roles.

Paul writes in 1 Timothy 2:11-12 “A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent”. I'd like to examine what you a believe, because even the OT mentions false prophetess, such as Noadiah and Jezebel, both of which mislead their following.

Lastly, I ask you, do you write everything down this prophet has revealed? It seems that you are open to new revelation, and thus believe the Canon is not closed? Do you believe that Scripture is not finished and is being written today through this prophetess?
                            Comment>

Originally posted by William

Please provide Scriptural references.

Especially since you emphasize God's will which is revealed through his word. You said she is a prophet as are some women in the OT. Okay, lets examine her teachings on the subject of women elders. A prophet must speak the will of God, because the prophet does not speak for themselves, but as a mouth piece for God. Now the sticky part, and one which I will challenge you on. Does this prophet contradict a prior prophet? If a prophet only speaks from God and contradicts another prophet that also speaks from God, are we to assume that God contradicts himself? I would say no, but I will suggest here that we have a false prophet. That is, unless, you are going to argue that this prophetess is exempt from the requirements of the office for prophet?

Lastly, I ask you, do you write everything down this prophet has revealed? It seems that you are open to new revelation, and thus believe the Canon is not closed? Do you believe that Scripture is not finished and is being written today through this prophetess?
                              I wuld be very carefull what you say about me and this prophet.
                              Matthew 18:6
                              5"And whoever receives one such child in My name receives Me; 6but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

I let her speak with her gift to serve God and people... For me the system of gifts and whoes in charge simple, do not realy point to more biblical things, since its clear that old testament has prophets that are born a woman. Google it...
                              You deny the bible if you deny that God did not point out there is and where woman that is and where prophets.
                              Matthew 5:17-12:121 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
                              James 4:11-12

11 Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister[a] or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. 12 There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy. But you—who are you to judge your neighbor?

There ya go some scrips. Please provide with God and Jesus kingdom to prove your statements instead of acusations.

Anyway leaving for now, Wish those that want help and seeks the truth that they get it. Have a nice day.

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap