Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

If He were alive today, would Jesus vote?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If He were alive today, would Jesus vote?

Posted this on a religious forum that I'm a part of, and wanted to see your thoughts, too. :)

Of what you believe that you know about Jesus, (or have come to believe) do you feel that Jesus, if He were alive today, would vote in the presidential elections? Who might He vote for if it ends up being between Clinton and Trump?

I happen to think He would not vote, if He felt that either candidate opposed His principles, values and teachings.

Originally posted by Deidre View Post
    I happen to think He would not vote, if He felt that either candidate opposed His principles, values and teachings.
    If Jesus wouldn't vote, then why did he pay taxes? Taxes paid to the Roman ruler certainly weren't going to be used for evangelism! And if Jesus wouldn't vote, why does the New Testament instruct us to pray for our leaders? And if Jesus wouldn't vote, why are Christians told to obey the laws of the land? I could go on a long time...

Whether or not Jesus would vote is irrelevent to your own decision on whether or not to vote. Jesus is God and the governments of the world carry out His will, period... read Romans 13:1-7.

The Bible says nothing about democracies or the election process. If you would rather stay home on election day, then do so. Be honest about why you prefer to stay home and don't justify your absence at the ballot box with pseudo-Christian gibberish about the candidates not being up to your standards of Holiness...LOL. Such is the talk of the proud...

PermaFrost
    Comment>

Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post

If Jesus wouldn't vote, then why did he pay taxes? Taxes paid to the Roman ruler certainly weren't going to be used for evangelism! And if Jesus wouldn't vote, why does the New Testament instruct us to pray for our leaders? And if Jesus wouldn't vote, why are Christians told to obey the laws of the land? I could go on a long time...

Whether or not Jesus would vote is irrelevent to your own decision on whether or not to vote. Jesus is God and the governments of the world carry out His will, period... read Romans 13:1-7.

The Bible says nothing about democracies or the election process. If you would rather stay home on election day, then do so. Be honest about why you prefer to stay home and don't justify your absence at the ballot box with pseudo-Christian gibberish about the candidates not being up to your standards of Holiness...LOL. Such is the talk of the proud...

PermaFrost
      I disagree with your points on voting, PermaFrost, but I do agree that the world carries out His will even though the World by Christian definition is opposed to and an enemy of God. Sometimes what is meant for evil is meant for good Genesis 50:20.

To answer the OP:

Jesus is exalted, He will not be under the ruler ship of anyone upon the earth. The question asks if Jesus was alive today, which He is Psalm 72:11 "May all kings fall down before him, all nations serve him!"

if He were alive today, would vote in the presidential elections?
      No government comes into existence without being foreordained. The question is whether a particular ruler is a blessing or a curse. When God wants to Judge a nation He gives them wicked rulers. Throughout the OT we find national Israel under captivity and subjection, as well as even Paul under the Roman Emperor. I find our current national situation incomparable to what Paul had endured. If Government rejects God then they rule according to man's standard and not God. What society sees as moral or Just is quite contrary to the Wisdom of God through Scripture. Obviously, we need only observe today's moral regression, with cultural and social dictates what is moral today may not be tomorrow. God's word is, however, Absolute.

As far as a blessing or a curse, I cannot suggest that Stalin, Hitler or Mao were blessings. More people died in one century under secular rule than all religious wars combined. To suggest that endorsing the murder of 56 MILLION unborn babies for generous gifts out of the United States Treasury to be a blessing is well, absurd. It is a bribe and blood money for whatever benefits a self serving peoples can get their hands on, laying the unborn innocent to be sacrificed at the altar of self.

Voting for the lesser of two evils is a construct made to cause doubt. For instance, the most popular analogy, if you were hiding Jews and Nazi's came - would you lie? This very question suggests there is No other choice but to Sin. I believe God will always give His people an alternative besides sin. Perhaps with the current leadership and candidates, we need to look up towards God and not man.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Originally posted by PermaFrost View Post

PermaFrost
        I intend to vote, because we can vote. If one can, one should. This is my view. Your post is riddled with self righteousness, my OP was just a question, and what I thought Jesus might do. Nothing more or less. Be kind...as Jesus was.
        Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

I disagree with your points on voting, PermaFrost, but I do agree that the world carries out His will even though the World by Christian definition is opposed to and an enemy of God. Sometimes what is meant for evil is meant for good Genesis 50:20.

To answer the OP:

Jesus is exalted, He will not be under the ruler ship of anyone upon the earth. The question asks if Jesus was alive today, which He is Psalm 72:11 "May all kings fall down before him, all nations serve him!"

No government comes into existence without being foreordained. The question is whether a particular ruler is a blessing or a curse. When God wants to Judge a nation He gives them wicked rulers. Throughout the OT we find national Israel under captivity and subjection, as well as even Paul under the Roman Emperor. I find our current national situation incomparable to what Paul had endured. If Government rejects God then they rule according to man's standard and not God. What society sees as moral or Just is quite contrary to the Wisdom of God through Scripture. Obviously, we need only observe today's moral regression, with cultural and social dictates what is moral today may not be tomorrow. God's word is, however, Absolute.

As far as a blessing or a curse, I cannot suggest that Stalin, Hitler or Mao were blessings. More people died in one century under secular rule than all religious wars combined. To suggest that endorsing the murder of 56 MILLION unborn babies for generous gifts out of the United States Treasury to be a blessing is well, absurd. It is a bribe and blood money for whatever benefits a self serving peoples can get their hands on, laying the unborn innocent to be sacrificed at the altar of self.

Voting for the lesser of two evils is a construct made to cause doubt. For instance, the most popular analogy, if you were hiding Jews and Nazi's came in would you lie? This very question suggests there is No other choice but to Sin. I believe God will always give His people an alternative besides sin. Perhaps with the current leadership and candidates, we need to look up towards God and not man.

God bless,
          William

I haven't been here on this forum long, but your posts always have humility and kindness to them, yet you offer a true Biblical stance on the matter, without resorting to insults. I'm sadly dismayed by the insulting ways of some 'Christians'on here, but anyway. Thank you for this thoughtful post. I like that quote...as a Christian, I don't see the powers of man to guide me, but the power of Jesus. We are not OF this world, but we live IN it... :)
          Comment>

If it looks like Hillary is going to win then not voting is a vote for Hillary. So, you don't get out of voting by staying home.

Between Trump and Hillary, who do you want to pick the next one or two supreme court justices? Who do you want on immigration? Gun rights? Religious freedom? If Trump is the nominee, it's really a no-brainer to vote for Trump, I think. Yeah, Trump is not a conservative and he lacks integrity, but Hillary is a dedicated enemy of America.

The Republican Party leadership will be supporting Hillary, if Trump gets the nomination. Which itself is a powerful reason to not support establishment candidates. The Republican leadership does not represent the values of the common man. Hillary presents their values.

However, I'd prefer to vote for Copeland, Myers or Ockander, whichever one gets on the ballot.
            Comment>

The sad thing though is...why can't people see that about Hillary? Complacency? Laziness? Ignorance? Idk.

I don't blame the presidential hopefuls for their behaviors as much as I blame those who seem to be 'okay' with those behaviors, and vote them into office. *shrug* Doubt we'll have any refreshing candidates any time soon, unless the culture goes through a moral mind shift. Morality (of any kind) doesn't seem to hit high on the list of who people think about electing. :/
              Comment>

I don't know honestly, but considering I think if Jesus were here, he'd be liberal, then, I believe he'd vote for Hillary.
                Comment>

Jesus is a Monarchist.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by AGustOfWind View Post
                    I don't know honestly, but considering I think if Jesus were here, he'd be liberal, then, I believe he'd vote for Hillary.
                    That's Satan you're thinking of.

Jesus is more conservative than most "conservative" churches today.

Divorce only for adultery.
                    Only men for his Apostles.
                    Those who reject him aren't "the chosen people" but are the children of Satan.
                    His hand-picking of the Apostle Paul.
                    Never supported a tax increase.
                    Judged hypocrites every day.
                    Etc.

What makes him a Liberal? Nothing. Remember, Jesus was sinless.
                    Last edited by Cornelius; 03-13-2016, 01:40 AM.
                    Comment>

As was said already, when we don't vote it is an effective vote in any case. I wonder if it would be legal anywhere to "write in" the name on Jesus on the ballot? I would guess that if it were legal and we were to do it, it would probably not affect the outcome...
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Amadeus View Post
                        As was said already, when we don't vote it is an effective vote in any case. I wonder if it would be legal anywhere to "write in" the name on Jesus on the ballot? I would guess that if it were legal and we were to do it, it would probably not affect the outcome...

He governs our lives, so that is good enough perhaps. :)
                        Comment>

Originally posted by AGustOfWind View Post
                          Unfortunately, the term liberal is a bit of a misnomer in that it gives people the impression that liberals care about others, want to sacrifice for others, want to spread the wealth for those less fortunate. But, liberals are quite wealthy themselves, and why don't they spread their own wealth? lol They want to pretend like they are humanitarians, when they mainly care about their own agendas, which are largely self centered. Conservatives aren't innocent in this, but the general public tends to believe that conservatives are against the poor and only care about the wealthy, while liberals are the poor's white knights. It couldn't be further from the truth. I honestly don't like the current structure of our government, in that it is all about sides, and who is on what side, and no one is really working together to build a better country. As disheartening as all of that is, I'm grateful for my faith because it is what makes life incredibly meaningful. Yes, we should seek to concern ourselves with government issues, but we should seek His principles over what is being offered by our government.
                          Comment>

Unfortunately, the term liberal is a bit of a misnomer in that it gives people the impression that liberals care about others, want to sacrifice for others, want to spread the wealth for those less fortunate. But, liberals are quite wealthy themselves, and why don't they spread their own wealth? lol They want to pretend like they are humanitarians, when they mainly care about their own agendas, which are largely self centered. Conservatives aren't innocent in this, but the general public tends to believe that conservatives are against the poor and only care about the wealthy, while liberals are the poor's white knights. It couldn't be further from the truth.
                            So true, so true.

Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post

That's Satan you're thinking of.

Jesus is more conservative than most "conservative" churches today.

Divorce only for adultery.
                              Only men for his Apostles.
                              Those who reject him aren't "the chosen people" but are the children of Satan.
                              His hand-picking of the Apostle Paul.
                              Never supported a tax increase.
                              Judged hypocrites every day.
                              Etc.

What makes him a Liberal? Nothing. Remember, Jesus was sinless.
                              Many things make Jesus liberal. And No, that is not Satan I am thinking of. Jesus would focus on feeding the poor, helping those who can't help themselves, he wouldn't focus on allowing everybody to own military-grade weapons.

Liberalism feeds the poor, they help those who can't help themselves, do you know how many lives were probably saved since obamacare has been put in motion? Many people needed that, and so God blessed them with a president who would provide it to them.

Would Jesus not want people to have healthcare? Or food? No, he would.

In fact, I don't think Jesus would even be a democrat, moreso an independent liberal.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap