Discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

New Study Makes Stunning Discovery About Volcanoes That Could Prove the Bible Is True

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Study Makes Stunning Discovery About Volcanoes That Could Prove the Bible Is True

Over the years, the mass extinction of the dinosaurs has been a hotly debated issue. From climate change to an asteroid, scientists have never been able to say for certain what truly happened to these monstrous lizards.

However, a new study has recently led scientists to believe that they can rule out one of the theories. By calculating the impact volcanic emissions would have had on the prehistoric climate, scientists now speculate that such activity could not have been to blame for the extinction of these large animals.

The finding opens the door for researchers to consider some worldwide catastrophe capable of wiping out vast numbers of living beings on earth at one time — as in a flood of biblical proportions.

It’s the second time this month a scientific study has published conclusions welcomed by Bible believers. A study reported Nov. 13 by The Washington Post upended several theories about how water arrived on earth.

According to the new research by scientists at the University of Leeds in the United Kingdom, the reason volcanic activity was ruled out is the emissions released even from hugely active volcanoes is much less severe than it was once thought.

During the prehistoric era, volcanoes are thought to have erupted for decades at a time. However, researchers have reported that lava would have had to flow for hundreds of years to severely affect plant and animal life on Earth.

The Leeds study calculated the impact of years of sulphur dioxide emissions from the continental flood basalts on the Earth’s climate, vegetation and oceans.

Their findings suggest that “at the time dinosaurs reigned, numerous long-lasting eruptions took place over the course of about a million years,” Dr. Anja Schmidt, lead author of the study from the university’s School of Earth and Environment, explained to the U.K. Daily Mail.

“These eruptions, called ‘continental flood basalts’ were not like volcanic eruptions we often see today, with lava gushing from the ground like a curtain of fire,” Schmidt added, “Each eruption is likely to have lasted years, even decades, and eruptions were separated by periods without volcanic activity.”

The study concluded that “the lava produced by an eruption of average intensity would have filled 150 Olympic-size swimming pools per minute.”

Researchers used a sophisticated computer simulation of the spread of the gas and aerosol particles, published in the journal Nature Geoscience, to come to their conclusions.

What it showed was that the climatic impacts of flood basalts was less severe than scientists had previously understood.

Researchers estimated the climatic and environmental effects of the huge quantities of sulphur dioxide gas emitted by these eruptions and found that only if the flood basalts oozed continuously for hundreds of years would the impact been severe enough to cause mass extinction.

The simulation showed Earth’s climate cooling after one of these such eruptions by as much as 40 degrees Fahrenheit and gradually return to normal within 50 years after an eruption had ceased.

These new findings have caused the earth science community to re-examine the cause of the mass extinction of plant and animal life in prehistoric time without using the volcanic activity theory.

I had read in one newspaper colulmn the theory on the extinction of dinosaurs that there was climate change - a sudden cooling of the earth just like the reverse of what we know as global warming. And those cold-blooded gigantic reptiles succumbed to the extreme temperatures.

When I was reading the news item about the relics found in a mountain in Turkey, presumed to be Noah's Ark, I was so excited because if indeed the ark would be found in that mountain then the Bibilical accounts would be validated. However, there was no more follow up on that news which was published some decades ago. From what I remember, the name of the mountain waa Ararat (the modern name of the mountain that was maybe lifted from the Bible).
    Comment>

This is apparently the second study this month to be quite supportive of the accounts in the bible. This newer study focuses on the possibility that it is not the volcanoes but rather a major catastrophic event that wiped out dinosaurs. So in line with this, the possibility of a great flood happening back then is even becoming clearer. With these new findings, we're getting a little bit closer to the truth, which is hopefully going to open the eyes of the skeptics.

The other study I was talking about is the findings about the origin of water on Earth. In this study, researchers obtained the oldest volcanic rocks on Earth. To get these rocks, they have to find an untouched place in Earth's mantle and they did, volcanic rocks from Baffin Island in the Arctic. They looked for deuterium in these rocks and they found that it had little amount of it. This means that the these rocks aren't the same as the composition of asteroids, meaning water wasn't delivered via asteroids.

This makes it more likely that the water on Earth came from the dust that created our solar system's planets. These two studies somehow support evidences provided by that bible in itself.
      Comment>

I was not aware of the one about how water arrived on Earth, but thank you for mentioning it because I am going to look it up right now. I really find it interesting to think about the relationship between science and my faith so this is really right up my alley in terms of thought and a good read. I am not really too opinionated when it comes to either, but I am pretty open to considering everything and it is articles and findings like this that really provide good material for thought and debate, friendly debate of course. I hope that we can all continue to share these types of articles for the betterment of collective thought.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap