Discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

Earth 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth 2.0

NASA scientists have discovered a planet they named Kepler-452b but which is also called Earth 2.0 because it is more like earth than any other planet yet discovered. Because of its similarity there is speculation that it might contain life similar to that found on earth.

Dr. Jeff Schweitzer wrote an article in Huffington Post called Earth 2.0: Bad News for God in which he claimed that the discovery of life on this planet would be evidence that the Bible is not true. Here is the link: Earth 2.0: Bad News for God .

The article shows he hasn’t read the Bible very carefully.

Let us be clear that the Bible is unambiguous about creation: the earth is the center of the universe, only humans were made in the image of god, and all life was created in six days. All life in all the heavens. In six days.
    The Bible never says the earth is the center of the universe, it never says that humans are the only beings made in God’s image, and it only describes the creation of life on earth and says nothing about whether or not there is life anywhere else in the universe. Here is a Bible verse that needs to be kept in mind when studying the creation account in Genesis.

The heavens are the LORD’s heavens,
    but the earth he has given to the children of man.
    Psalm 115:16 ESV
    The earth is the only part of creation that belongs to humans and therefore it is the only part whose creation is described. The Bible starts with the statement, “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth” and in the next verse begins describing the formation of the earth with no further references to the heavens mentioned in verse one.

The creation account does use the word “heaven” but in a different sense.

And God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” And God made the expanse and separated the waters that were under the expanse from the waters that were above the expanse. And it was so. And God called the expanse Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
    Genesis 1:6-8 ESV
    The word “heaven” has three different meanings in the Bible. It can mean the atmosphere of the earth as it does in the verses I quoted above, it can mean outer space, and it can mean Paradise.

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows. And I know that this man was caught up into paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—
    2 Corinthians 12:2-3 ESV
    When you see the word “heaven ” in the Bible you must examine the context to see which meaning is intended. Dr. Schweitzer failed to do that and so his article confuses the different meanings of the word.

There is one statement in the creation account that is often misinterpreted.

And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so.
    Genesis 1:14-15 ESV
    Some think this describes the creation of the stars. Actually the Bible only says that lights appeared in the sky; it does not say that the bodies that were the source of those lights were created at that time. Many who believe the stars were created at this time also believe there is no life in the universe anywhere else except earth. If we found proof of extraterrestrial life their interpretation of the Bible would be proved wrong but not the Bible itself.

I think it is possible that there is a wide variety of life in the universe and not necessarily just on planets that resemble earth. The belief that only planets similar to earth can have life is a byproduct of the belief that life came into existence by the process of evolution and can only exist on planets where conditions make evolution possible. If God created life he can create organisms that are suitable for any environment. The existence of life outside the earth would be an argument for the existence of God, not against it.

The purpose of the Bible is to enable us to know God and to know how we must live if we want to please him. It is addressed only to members of the human race, the descendants of Adam and Eve. Other living beings, such as angels and demons, are mentioned because of their interaction with humans. The absence of any mention of intelligent life on other planets only shows that there will never be any significant interaction between them and humans. It says nothing at all about whether or not such beings exist.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

Just because water and atmosphere exist on some other place does not automatically mean there is life there. It just means that the possibility of life could maybe exist there. Until life elsewhere is actually found, it is not found. Mind you, I mean intelligent life, not just bugs or germs.
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post

Let us be clear that the Bible is unambiguous about creation: the earth is the center of the universe, only humans were made in the image of god, and all life was created in six days. All life in all the heavens. In six days.

The Bible never says the earth is the center of the universe, it never says that humans are the only beings made in God’s image, and it only describes the creation of life on earth and says nothing about whether or not there is life anywhere else in the universe. Here is a Bible verse that needs to be kept in mind when studying the creation account in Genesis.
      Theophilus, your comments are very thoughtful but here are a few things to consider:

1.) You stated that Genesis never mentions the lights as being stars, quoting verses 14 and 15 of Chapter 1. But if you read the very next verse, it clarifies that one of the lights created (in addition to the sun and moon) were the stars: "And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars." (Gen. 1:14-16) That being said, this fact has no bearing on there being life on other planets. I'm not sure why you mentioned it.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
      2.) Your arguments seem to be based solely on what the Bible says or doesn't say. This isn't a bad thing but logic is also imperative when interpreting the Bible. You have to employ logic to understand the meaning and implications of anything. Regarding the possibility of life on other planets and the fact that the Bible never specifically states that there isn't, Christ came to give His life for man on this earth, the one that was made through Him (John 1:1-5,10) And since Christ is the God-man who came to pay the atonement for man's sins, wouldn't it be unjust of God to allow other "intelligent life" to suffer under condemnation, since the whole cosmos was affected because of man's sin? This is where logic comes in and is absolutely necessary to shut the door on any assumptions that there could be intelligent life on other planets. If God is made unjust for not saving other intelligent life, it means there is no other intelligent life, because God is not unjust.

3.) As far as the earth being the center of the universe, greater investigation of God's Word is required. No you will not find those words, the earth being the center of the universe, in the same way the word Trinity is not found in the Bible. We are however, given clues to the earth being at the center. "The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep...Then God said, "Let there be..." The earth came first, making it the center of the universe. Notice the order in these passages. “It is I who made the earth, and created man upon it. I stretched out the heavens with My hands And I ordained all their host." (Is.45:12) "It is He who made the earth by His power, Who established the world by His wisdom; And by His understanding He has stretched out the heavens." (Jeremiah 12:2) God stretches out the heavens, from the center, being the earth. "Covering Yourself with light as with a cloak, Stretching out heaven like a tent curtain." (Ps.104:2). In science, this is proven by the Red Shift phenomenon, and the fact that all bodies in space are moving out from the earth.

It is ironic that everything the author states in the quote you provided is actually correct, like Caiaphas was correct, only he doesn't realize that his mockery is actually a speaking of the truth (except his using of a small "g" for God): "Let us be clear that the Bible is unambiguous about creation: the earth is the center of the universe, only humans were made in the image of god, and all life was created in six days. All life in all the heavens. In six days."

The great expanse of the cosmos having no end is God's expression of Himself. He has no beginning and no end! Thus "the heavens are declaring the glory of God." (Ps.19:1)
      Last edited by Jason T V; 07-26-2015, 03:51 AM.
      Comment>

Kepler-452b could be more hostile to life than most planets in our solar system. But, let’s grant that the atmosphere isn’t toxic, that it has a magnetic field to protect the surface from solar winds and cosmic radiation, and countless other factors that make Earth habitable.

Atheists have no scientific reason to even begin to speculate that there is life on that planet. We don’t have the first scientific clue of how life could form naturally. No, we don’t. We can also aim our SETI radio telescopes to the planet and see that there are no artificial signals coming from the planet (a prediction, I don’t know if they’ve done this or not). That is proof that there isn’t any technologically advanced life on the planet. But, let’s grant that the planet is teaming with steampunk civilizations.

Sorry, I still don’t see how this is a problem for Christianity. The Bible doesn’t say Earth is the only place with life. In fact, Mormonism is built on the belief that the Bible does teach, or allow, that there is intelligent life on numerous other planets – and, I’ve never seen anti-Mormon arguments based on the Bible to try to refute Mormons on this point.

Atheists are fundamentally dishonest. It is dishonest to present an irrelevant hypothetical situation as living proof. It’s typical Atheist desperation to pretend Atheism has intellectual legitimacy. Maybe we should expect Atheists to explain why we haven't found evidence of intelligent life in space, since they think Atheism predicts intelligent life in space?
        Comment>

You don't see how intelligent life on other planets is a "problem "? I've given reason as to that problem. God made man after His image and likeness, and The God-Man Jesus atoned for the sins of mankind.
          Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
          Kepler-452b could be more hostile to life than most planets in our solar system. But, let’s grant that the atmosphere isn’t toxic, that it has a magnetic field to protect the surface from solar winds and cosmic radiation, and countless other factors that make Earth habitable.

Atheists have no scientific reason to even begin to speculate that there is life on that planet. We don’t have the first scientific clue of how life could form naturally. No, we don’t. We can also aim our SETI radio telescopes to the planet and see that there are no artificial signals coming from the planet (a prediction, I don’t know if they’ve done this or not). That is proof that there isn’t any technologically advanced life on the planet. But, let’s grant that the planet is teaming with steampunk civilizations.

Sorry, I still don’t see how this is a problem for Christianity. The Bible doesn’t say Earth is the only place with life. In fact, Mormonism is built on the belief that the Bible does teach, or allow, that there is intelligent life on numerous other planets – and, I’ve never seen anti-Mormon arguments based on the Bible to try to refute Mormons on this point.

Atheists are fundamentally dishonest. It is dishonest to present an irrelevant hypothetical situation as living proof. It’s typical Atheist desperation to pretend Atheism has intellectual legitimacy. Maybe we should expect Atheists to explain why we haven't found evidence of intelligent life in space, since they think Atheism predicts intelligent life in space?
          Comment>

Originally posted by Jason T V View Post
            You don't see how intelligent life on other planets is a "problem "? I've given reason as to that problem. God made man after His image and likeness, and The God-Man Jesus atoned for the sins of mankind.
            The angels are intelligent beings, but Jesus didn't die for them. Animals are intelligent beings (granted, not as smart as humans, so what), but Jesus didn't die for them. I don't think Jesus died for most humans, but only for the elect. I see no necessary reason why God couldn't have put intelligent life on other planets, but intelligent life that need not apply for salvation.

I also don't see any necessary reason why Jesus couldn't have died for life on other planets, men on other planets made in the image of God. God could have given them prophets to explain how sin entered the universe and what Jesus did hear on Earth for them. What's the difference between being on different continents and being on different planets? (Okay, the Martians wouldn't be immigrants from the old world.)

I don't believe we'll ever find intelligent life in space. So, this will never be anything but a completely hypothetical issue. And, I know we both agree that finding a warm planet similar in size to Earth is hardly fatal to Christianity. And, I'd still like an Atheist to explain why the failure to find intelligent life isn't a problem for Atheists, considering they think alien life is relevant to the question of the existence of God.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Jason T V View Post
              You stated that Genesis never mentions the lights as being stars
              No, that isn't what I said. What I said was that the Bible merely says God placed lights in the sky. It doesn't say whether he created the bodies that produce the light at that time.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

God mentions the stars in Job, referring to Orion's belt.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap