Discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

Genesis 1:1-5 interpretation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genesis 1:1-5 interpretation.

1) It is common for those who do not believe scripture is inspired by God to say something like, “the Genesis accounts is just man’s interpretation”. OK, then would anyone care to take each of these verses and interpret them the way God would have us to read them?

Genesis 1:1–5 (NASB95)

1In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

3Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.

4God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness.

5God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

2) IMO, people that make those “interpretation” claims have no plausible explanation for creation by evolution so their tactic is to marginalize those that believe in the Bible’s version.

3) So what say you, care to write these verses out as they should be read? Me, I take them just as they are written and using the common definitions of the words used in context.

Originally posted by tevans9129 View Post
    Me, I take them just as they are written and using the common definitions of the words used in context.
    Perhaps you can exegete Genesis 1:1-5?

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
      Perhaps you can exegete Genesis 1:1-5?
      Although I thought my comment made my view clear,

Me, I take them just as they are written and using the common definitions of the words used in context.
      I will be happy to put it into my own words but would like to wait for others to share their interpretation before doing so, fair?
      Comment>

would anyone care to take each of these verses and interpret them the way God would have us to read them?
        I thought some, such as RJ, would jump at this invitation to set me straight on how God really meant this passage to read. Now I am wondering if it reads exactly as God intended it to read and some are just using, "it's only your interpretation" because it does not fit their agenda. A Bible believing Christian would not do that...would they?
        Comment>

I do the same -- literal reading and interpreting.

However, there Are those who put a 'gap' between vs 1 & 2. Stating that vs 1 was the first creation and vs 2 the beginning of a second creation process.

And there are those who put a second creation process starting with 2:4 - early chapter 3.

And then there are those who say it's not logical to have God creating 'light' and 'dark' making it the first day.

But then in the 14th vs "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years. So these couple of verses sound like the sun and moon were created and He also made the stars. And that was all being done on the 4th day of creation.

So - it Does sound confusing -- and my comments are going beyond your 1-5 verses.

And there are those who try to interpret these verses / passages in view of theistic evolution.

And then there are Also those who take the passage that says that "a thousand years are as a day and a day as a thousand years" which Could be used as an indication that a 'day' of creation really lasted 1,000 yrs. But That doesn't make sense because at the end we are to take a Sabbath's day of rest. God has not been on a 1,000 yr 'rest'. That is saying that "time" does not really exist for God. He's created 'time' for mankind. God being infinite and we are finite beings.

God Was setting a first example of a work week for Us and taking a day's rest From our work week.

Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
            However, there Are those who put a 'gap' between vs 1 & 2. Stating that vs 1 was the first creation and vs 2 the beginning of a second creation process.
            I agree, there are those that promote the "gap" theory but that is all that it is, a theory. God said, "And there was evening and there was morning, one day, a second day, a third day etc. I fail to see where He left space for a gap and if He did, what was the purpose? IMO, the purpose of the gap theory is there are those that question God's word more than they question man's word so they try to insert an alternate theory.

Comment>

And then there are those who say it's not logical to have God creating 'light' and 'dark' making it the first day.
              Not logical, have any idea their reasoning? The Hebrew word for light is "ʾôwr, ore" which means, "light (sensation) n. — the visual sensation of light in contrast to darkness." If God could speak the universe into existence, is there any reason that He could not provide a light any time that He chose? After all, there is light in Revelation that does not come from the sun or stars.

Revelation 22:5 (NASB95)
              5And there will no longer be any night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them; and they will reign forever and ever.

So what is there to say that God Himself was not the light in Genesis 1:3?

What do you think?

Comment>

But then in the 14th vs "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years. So these couple of verses sound like the sun and moon were created and He also made the stars. And that was all being done on the 4th day of creation.

So - it Does sound confusing -- and my comments are going beyond your 1-5 verses.
                That is true about the lights in the expanse but God said nothing about what the light was in Gen 1:3, He only said let there be light.
                Comment>

And then there are Also those who take the passage that says that "a thousand years are as a day and a day as a thousand years" which Could be used as an indication that a 'day' of creation really lasted 1,000 yrs. But That doesn't make sense because at the end we are to take a Sabbath's day of rest. God has not been on a 1,000 yr 'rest'. That is saying that "time" does not really exist for God. He's created 'time' for mankind. God being infinite and we are finite beings.
                  How many times have I heard that presented in an argument, however, they fail to pay attention to, "are as" or "like" in some translations which is not the same as "is a thousand years". Not only that, a thousand years is like a day and a day is like a thousand years so what is the difference, we are left with a day or with a thousand years but they are not equal. Could it be that it is only validating that God is outside of time?

I agree with your comments.
                  Comment>

I agree, there are those that promote the "gap" theory but that is all that it is, a theory. God said, "And there was evening and there was morning, one day, a second day, a third day etc. I fail to see where He left space for a gap and if He did, what was the purpose? IMO, the purpose of the gap theory is there are those that question God's word more than they question man's word so they try to insert an alternate theory.

There's a Lot of pressure in the world of higher education To find an alternative to God's Word. To work in a pre-Adamic race.

God's Word is loosing more and more 'ground' in Society / higher education.

Yes, it IS only a theory made up by people.

So is evolution, but evolutionary thought is pretty strong.

It's good to be discussing this in a Bible-believing setting. Because I've tried to do this in an atheistic setting and it's challenging. But for Me, it's been reinforcing just how important God's Word Is.

If a person starts allowing doubt to get them in One area, then 'logic' takes out the virgin birth and every other evidence of God's power / ability.
                    Comment>

There's a Lot of pressure in the world of higher education To find an alternative to God's Word.
                      That is true and it is disheartening to see those who claim to be Christians doing everything in their power to promote those pushing evolution.
                      Comment>

That is true and it is disheartening to see those who claim to be Christians doing everything in their power to promote those pushing evolution.
                        The term "Christian" can be used Very loosely by people.

Sometimes their professional standing requires it. But, they will be giving account to God for that , as well.
                        Comment>

The term "Christian" can be used Very loosely by people.

Sometimes their professional standing requires it. But, they will be giving account to God for that , as well.
                          So true...and very sad.
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap