Discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

Israeli Scientists Discover Evidence for Old Testament Miracle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Israeli Scientists Discover Evidence for Old Testament Miracle

    Israeli scientists have found evidence that confirms the biblical account of the sun standing still in Joshua 10, according to Charisma News.

    Joshua 10 recounts the story of Joshua and the Israelites' battle against the Amorites at Gibeon. It says:

    “On the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the Lord in the presence of Israel:
    “Sun, stand still over Gibeon,
    and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.”
    So the sun stood still,
    and the moon stopped,
    till the nation avenged itself on[b] its enemies,
    as it is written in the Book of Jashar.
    The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the Lord listened to a human being. Surely the Lord was fighting for Israel!” (Joshua 10:12-14).


    Scientists have now determined that this event describes a total solar eclipse. Analyzing data from NASA showed that there was indeed a total solar eclipse in the region between 1,500 and 1,000 B.C.E.

    Scientists were even able to pinpoint the exact date and time when this even took place: October 30, 1,207 B.C.E, at 4:28 p.m.

    Source: Israeli Scientists Discover Evidence for Old Testament Miracle - Christian News Headlines

  • #2
    "Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel."

    How does that sound even remotely like the description of a solar eclipse?
    Comment>

    • #3
      Well -- if scientists are willing to acknowledge it -- then who are we to discourage them. Right?! Scientists acknowledging a miracle doesn't happen very often. :D ;)
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by ThyWordisTruth View Post
        "Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the Lord hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the Lord fought for Israel."

        How does that sound even remotely like the description of a solar eclipse?
        The description of the event from the Bible seems like the opposite of a solar eclipse. It portrays the Sun standing in place to provide light for Joshua and his people to fight for a longer period of time because at nighttime the Amorites could have tried a sneaky attack. During a solar eclipse the Sun is covered and darkness settles.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
          Well -- if scientists are willing to acknowledge it -- then who are we to discourage them. Right?! Scientists acknowledging a miracle doesn't happen very often. :D ;)
          Comment>

          • #6
            Well, I don't know about you, but I want my God's miracles to be understood correctly and not be the subject of faulty scientific interpretation.
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
              Well, I don't know about you, but I want my God's miracles to be understood correctly and not be the subject of faulty scientific interpretation.
              More to the point, as the word is commonly understood nowadays, a miracle must, by definition, be incapable of scientific explanation.

              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by Lucian Hodoboc
                Well, I don't know about you, but I want my God's miracles to be understood correctly and not be the subject of faulty scientific interpretation.
                But muh positivism...
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap