Discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

Christianity and AncestryDNA, 23andme, FamilyTreeDNA, GenesforGood, etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianity and AncestryDNA, 23andme, FamilyTreeDNA, GenesforGood, etc.

This genetic ancestry field is still in its infancy, but I was intrigued to find out what my heritage was, so I decided to invest in the major genetic genealogy companies and see my results. Those results piqued my curiosity in science in general and I've learned a lot since those days. now, what I want to know is, how can one reconcile the genetic studies and findings of these scientists with God's unalterable truth as found in the Bible? Now, these findings and results all have statements that hint that the Earth is billions of years old and mankind has been on the planet for hundreds of thousands of years and they claim to be able to directly connect my line with the other lines that converge in a later migration out of Africa. I suppose that the difficulty I'm encountering is in the time lapses that one can see in the Book of Genesis that sees a lapse of nearly 450 years between the death of Joseph and the birth of Moses in the Book of Exodus. Is a reconciliation between science and faith possible, or should we keep those two disciplines separate? How can we do that when they both make competing claims, particularly on the origins of mankind?

Originally posted by ConfessionalLutheran View Post
    Is a reconciliation between science and faith possible, or should we keep those two disciplines separate?
    There is no need to reconcile faith and science because there is no conflict between them. The only conflict that exists is between the truths of the Bible and belief that life came into existence by a process of evolution. Evolutionists claim their belief is supported by science but that claim is false. Here are some sites that provide evidence that the Bible's account of origins is compatible with what we know about science.

Answers in Genesis

Evolutionary Truth by Piltdown Superman

Creation Manifesto – ApoloJedi

The real difference between creationists and evolutionists is in the interpretation of history. We believe God intervened to create the universe; evolutionists believe that there was no divine intervention and that the physical processes that are going on today have always been going on.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

There are many competing theories on this. While I like what theophilus has posted for links, I know that an Evolutionist could provide just as many links showing why Evolution is correct and the Bible is wrong. The problem comes down to whether you are talking with an Evolutionist or a Creationist, the most we can get at this point in time is a vague picture where the missing links have to be filled in with faith. As Christians, we KNOW that God exists and often forget that to an outsider, what we are experiencing is still at its core: faith. An Evolutionist KNOWS that what they believe is correct. There is no definitive proof either way. Science is a continually expanding and updating field of study, and I personally belief that their methods for determining the age of the Earth are wrong. I remember reading a report once that if the current way that the age of the Earth is determined was correct, then when we landed on the moon, the moon dust should have been over Neil Armstrong's head. However, 1600 years ago all scientists KNEW the Earth was flat and 600 years ago scientists KNEW the universe rotated around the Earth. My point is, science has changed and grown over the centuries with the advancement of technology while the Bible has remained the same. God is perfect and the Bible is the word of God, while science is continually advancing and is the work of man. I would put my faith in God and trust science to catch up one day.
      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
        There is no need to reconcile faith and science because there is no conflict between them. The only conflict that exists is between the truths of the Bible and belief that life came into existence by a process of evolution. Evolutionists claim their belief is supported by science but that claim is false. Here are some sites that provide evidence that the Bible's account of origins is compatible with what we know about science.

Answers in Genesis

Evolutionary Truth by Piltdown Superman

Creation Manifesto – ApoloJedi

The real difference between creationists and evolutionists is in the interpretation of history. We believe God intervened to create the universe; evolutionists believe that there was no divine intervention and that the physical processes that are going on today have always been going on.
        Good point, theophilus. Thank you for the links! :)
        Comment>

Originally posted by EntropiaAddict View Post
          There are many competing theories on this. While I like what theophilus has posted for links, I know that an Evolutionist could provide just as many links showing why Evolution is correct and the Bible is wrong. The problem comes down to whether you are talking with an Evolutionist or a Creationist, the most we can get at this point in time is a vague picture where the missing links have to be filled in with faith. As Christians, we KNOW that God exists and often forget that to an outsider, what we are experiencing is still at its core: faith. An Evolutionist KNOWS that what they believe is correct. There is no definitive proof either way. Science is a continually expanding and updating field of study, and I personally belief that their methods for determining the age of the Earth are wrong. I remember reading a report once that if the current way that the age of the Earth is determined was correct, then when we landed on the moon, the moon dust should have been over Neil Armstrong's head. However, 1600 years ago all scientists KNEW the Earth was flat and 600 years ago scientists KNEW the universe rotated around the Earth. My point is, science has changed and grown over the centuries with the advancement of technology while the Bible has remained the same. God is perfect and the Bible is the word of God, while science is continually advancing and is the work of man. I would put my faith in God and trust science to catch up one day.
          That is certainly something to consider. The Bible leads us unto all truth and sometimes the truth is so profound, it takes human science centuries to figure out what God's Word has already been telling us. Thank you for that insight, EntropiaAddict.
          Comment>

I would put my faith in God and trust science to catch up one day.
            That would probably be the case if it weren't for the fact that many scientists start with the idea that God has never intervened in the past.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Originally posted by ConfessionalLutheran View Post
              This genetic ancestry field is still in its infancy, but I was intrigued to find out what my heritage was, so I decided to invest in the major genetic genealogy companies and see my results. Those results piqued my curiosity in science in general and I've learned a lot since those days. now, what I want to know is, how can one reconcile the genetic studies and findings of these scientists with God's unalterable truth as found in the Bible? Now, these findings and results all have statements that hint that the Earth is billions of years old and mankind has been on the planet for hundreds of thousands of years and they claim to be able to directly connect my line with the other lines that converge in a later migration out of Africa. I suppose that the difficulty I'm encountering is in the time lapses that one can see in the Book of Genesis that sees a lapse of nearly 450 years between the death of Joseph and the birth of Moses in the Book of Exodus. Is a reconciliation between science and faith possible, or should we keep those two disciplines separate? How can we do that when they both make competing claims, particularly on the origins of mankind?
              There is nothing you need to reconcile. All they are doing is looking for a set of genetic markers most common for different 'ethnicities'. It doesn't actually reveal individual's ancestry only what you are most genetically similar to. So it more like pairing you up with your 'genetic cousins' than reveal your organs. Genetic Ancestry Tests Mostly Hype, Scientists Say Explains it more in depth, but don't worry about it going against the bible or that it implies the world is billions of years old. It simply compares your DNA to their database and giving you a breakdown of your genetic makeup. So do it and have fun.
              Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                That would probably be the case if it weren't for the fact that many scientists start with the idea that God has never intervened in the past.
                I feel that if a scientists idea is based on a faulty premise, it will be proven so eventually. If they base everything on the assumption that God has never intervened, then they will either find out that their assumption is wrong, or will find out that it is correct, but for the wrong reason (like how many discoveries just can't be explained). Scientists have made many amazing advancements over the years, and just because they deny the truth of God to themselves, doesn't mean that we can't see the work of God in the discoveries that they make. I still hold, that if we look at scientific advancement through Christian eyes, then we will see God's hand in the discoveries, whether the scientists who discovered them do or not.
                Comment>

I feel that if a scientists idea is based on a faulty premise, it will be proven so eventually.
                  When it comes to ideas relating to technology and what is going on today, that is correct. When scientists try to discover the origins of the universe and what happened in the past it isn't always so easy to test their theories and discover whether they are right and wrong. That is why so many scientist refuse to even consider the possibility that the universe was created in the way the Bible describes.
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap