Discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

Adam Versus Claims from Genetics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Versus Claims from Genetics

by Vern Poythress | Westminster Theological Journal | 75 (2013): 65-82

Attached Files

One of the biggest problems with the scientific community is that they refuse to acknowledge that all humans have innate biases. So it doesn't matter how scientifically the study is done, there is always a bias. It reminds me of the story about the study of light. One scientist though they were made of photons while another thought it traveled as a wave. They both proved that they were right and simultaneously, light is made of protons that move in waves. But without both of them working simultaneously we would have thought light only worked one way. So people can work to make their hypothesis true without considering other options. So while I believe the scientific method is a great way to figure out how things work, it works best when people realize their own bias and can work around it. Finding Adam and Eve through genetics is always going to be problematic because scientist already have their own bias towards Darwinism and won't consider anything else.
    Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
      One of the biggest problems with the scientific community is that they refuse to acknowledge that all humans have innate biases. So it doesn't matter how scientifically the study is done, there is always a bias. It reminds me of the story about the study of light. One scientist though they were made of photons while another thought it traveled as a wave. They both proved that they were right and simultaneously, light is made of protons that move in waves. But without both of them working simultaneously we would have thought light only worked one way. So people can work to make their hypothesis true without considering other options. So while I believe the scientific method is a great way to figure out how things work, it works best when people realize their own bias and can work around it. Finding Adam and Eve through genetics is always going to be problematic because scientist already have their own bias towards Darwinism and won't consider anything else.
      Couldn't agree more! Romans Chapter 1 covers this. Most everyone approaches evidence with presuppositions, bias, and prejudice. For example, the narration of stick figures (fossils) has brought about quite the different narrations from believers and unbelievers of Darwinianism. They are both staring smack dab at the same evidence, but have quite the different narrations.

I find the same issues with most News publications. It used to be that a person could turn on the News to get the facts of an incident or subject. But now-a-days the facts are colored by the newscaster's narration (leaning or bias). It becomes a full time job deciphering the facts or extracting them from personal or subjective opinion.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Well the point that was made above is very interesting, and true. When it comes to research, I am confident that there are a lot more of the "find what you want to find" or "find it because you put it there" than we really think that there is. The bias is there no matter what, you are right. Just think about, you spend all this time and effort working towards a theory that you believe, of course you are going to want to prove yourself right, and the actual answer or the greater answer is meaningless to you. If nothing else, it is very interesting to think about. Thanks for sharing.
        Comment>

This is absolutely true and I myself could not agree more with you. The truth must be found. One must be willing to admit fault and start over humbly.....
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap