Discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

GMO seeds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMO seeds?

I personally don't growing with genetically modified plants because they pollute the heirlooms with their pollen. But I was wondering how genetically modifying plants with animal or even bacteria DNA fits in terms of the Bible and God's word. I would think that if plants were meant to have animal DNA, God would have put them there. But then again, I have no issue planting my heirlooms and hybrid plants that have been selectively breed and are very different from their parent plants. Am I a hypocrite to be disturbed by GMO plants but fine with the others? I know you're not to sow multiple seeds in the same field but what about genetics?

Well you are certainly not a hypocrite, and these things are merely a matter of personal preference. I know that when it comes to agricultural products, I do not have much of an idea what really goes on there, and that said, I put a lot of trust in other people to be doing it correctly. This is why I do not really like hearing the phrase GMO, but I have heard some defenses of them and studies done, and it is less scary than it sounds. I still would prefer to avoid them, but sometimes that is hard to do these days.
    Comment>

Natural selection/adaption is different than natural evolution. We have different breeds of dogs with different characteristics bread into them by selection, but they are still dogs. Natural selection is what Darwin observed which he speculated was evolution. Evolution would make an animal different over time, selection just changes the characteristics of the same animal. Bigger, smaller, different color, longer/shorter tail/hair, etc... Like people, some are taller, shorter, black, white, asian, but we are all people, not different animals.

Natural selection works with God's creation, God giving plants and animals the ability to adapt to it's environment without changing it's basic being.

If evolution was a thing they could take fruit flies which have a very fast life cycle and change them into something else by breeding, which they can't. They remain fruit flies.
      Comment>

Well to be honest I am not sure that I have really thought about this, at least in terms of the Bible and what it might say. Just going in blind though I would have to assume that it would be against the word of God, maybe. I would possibly make it akin to altering our bodies, but I am not really sure if it rises to that level or not. On a more personal note, though, I do try to avoid these if I can, just because it is off-putting to me. To each their own though, I suppose, but it is very interesting, so thank you for sharing.
        Comment>

We were made stewards of the earth to care for livings things, right? I see a lot of mixed studios on GMO plants, and about how it does or does not actually put any harmful chemicals into our bodies (I think the studies have results that the people running them want them to have, but I digress). For example, if a GMO plant could help people in poverty deal with starvation, is it wrong to alter the plant or to not?

Just as people in different parts of the world develop different survival mechanisms depending on their region, so have animals and plants. I think messing with genetics turns up some pretty incredible results, but I do also think it teeters on a very fine line. I am still developing an informed opinion on the matter but I thank everyone for contributing and giving me more to think about!
          Comment>

Originally posted by whysewserious View Post
            For example, if a GMO plant could help people in poverty deal with starvation, is it wrong to alter the plant or to not?
            Helping people in need takes priority over other considerations.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

I also believe that God gave us a brain that is a curious thing, and if we are safely and morally implementing technologies we develop by use of the brain God gave us, is it wrong?

But as with so many things, where do we draw the line with what we are capable of? I saw an article some years back about being able to clone an ear in a petri dish...this blew my mind! I don't think we will ever be able to clone a full human (can't create a soul); that would definitely be crossing a boundary for me if we could. But is making an ear bad? Is creating a new type of plant bad? With nature, are we just helping along a natural process, or are we interfering?
              Comment>

Originally posted by whysewserious View Post
                But is making an ear bad?
                There is another thread on this forum about the ethics of organ donation. If we can make human organs, organ donation will become unnecessary.
                Clyde Herrin's Blog
                Comment>

While GM seeds can increase yields per acreage since one of the reasons companies like Monsanto are trying to merge with others in order to dominate the seeds market is because they want to control the world food market. Should these companies have it their way, the rumors you heard (seeds from GM plants are sterile) will get to be true. These companies will want farmers to purchase new seeds each planting season and they'll overprice them once they get the monopoly they seek. And as only a few will buy the seeds there'll follow the famines the bible warns us about. It's how they'll thin the world population? It's no conspiracy theory.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
                    While GM seeds can increase yields per acreage since one of the reasons companies like Monsanto are trying to merge with others in order to dominate the seeds market is because they want to control the world food market. Should these companies have it their way, the rumors you heard (seeds from GM plants are sterile) will get to be true. These companies will want farmers to purchase new seeds each planting season and they'll overprice them once they get the monopoly they seek. And as only a few will buy the seeds there'll follow the famines the bible warns us about. It's how they'll thin the world population? It's no conspiracy theory.
                    GM plants are sterile because the company wants a monopoly. Did you know that if patent seeds fall into your garden, you could be fined for having the plants without paying for them? I think it's ridiculous that you can patent a seed. Messing with the futility of plants is going to end up starving the world because we can't regrow next year's crop with the seeds in our fruits and vegetables. It'll only take one outbreak of mold or bacteria and it could wipe out the whole food supply. This is why I try really hard to stick to only heirloom or wild plants, though I have some grafted fruit trees that are hybrids.
                    Comment>

I have always been rather concerned about GMO crops, particularly when they engineer toxins into the food supply. While reducing pests is useful for the bottom line, we don't know the knock-on effects for the ecology. If terminator genes can cross-polinate (some plants with the gene still create pollen for a generation or two) then many other species could be rendered sterile, causing widespread damage.

My real problem is the behaviour of the company behind them. There have been cases where the GM crops have cross-polinated, and the farmer whose field they ended up in was sued for not buying the GM seeds. The Percy Schmeiser case became famous, because on the original ruling if Monsanto wanted a farmer's land all they had to do is have someone drive by and scatter a few seeds: the origin of the GM crops doesn't matter, it is literally whether the GM products are on your land. It dragged on for years, but if they can do this to someone in the US, what will they do to third world countries?
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap