Discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

The Language of God

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Language of God

Has anyone read the book The Language of God, by Francis Collins? The author is the physician-geneticist noted for his work with the Human Genome Project and other projects. I've started reading it earlier in the year and found it interesting, so I thought I'd toss it out there for discussion. Thanks much.

Well I have to say that this sounds intriguing, and it sounds similar to one of my favorite all time books, The City Of God by E.L. Doctorow. It is one of those exploratios of God and faith in the modern world, and combining it with metaphysics and the cosmos, and it is so fascinating that I still pick it up and read it whenever I need to think deep about something. This sounds like it is up that alley, and so it would be perfect for me. Thank you so much for sharing Nahum - and I have officially moved it to the top of my list.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Nahum View Post
      Has anyone read the book The Language of God, by Francis Collins?
      Yes.

Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
        Yes.
        Alrighty. Did you find helpful or encouraging? Interesting? Or unhelpful or some reason? And, most importantly, why?
        Comment>

I have never read the book. Maybe you summarise the whole story so that we can get to know what the author talks about. From the title, I can guess that the author talks about how God talks to us and how we usually hear whatever he communicates to us. That also includes how we usually talk to God through prayers.
          Comment>

Has anyone read the book The Language of God, by Francis Collins? The author is the physician-geneticist noted for his work with the Human Genome Project and other projects. I've started reading it earlier in the year and found it interesting, so I thought I'd toss it out there for discussion. Thanks much.
            I haven't read the book or a brief synopsis about it. Quick question, does the book cover "junk dna" or does the author refute any of the claims that Richard Dawkins makes against an intelligent designer?

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Alrighty. Did you find helpful or encouraging? Interesting? Or unhelpful or some reason? And, most importantly, why?
              Yes I did. Normally I allow others to make up their own minds. Collins is an advocate of theistic evolution. This, however, does not brother me even though I do not hold such a view. He calls his view BioLogos. I would say his view falls within the intelligent design model. But there is much more than that to this book. In the early chapters he discusses his move from atheism to Christianity and how C.S. Lewis had an impact upon his thinking. Check out BioLogos This is a group established by Collins back in 2007. My view is we don't all have to agree but we should be willing to listen and learn rather than simply reacting.
              Last edited by Origen; 07-05-2016, 08:50 AM.
              Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
                I haven't read the book or a brief synopsis about it. Quick question, does the book cover "junk dna" or does the author refute any of the claims that Richard Dawkins makes against an intelligent designer?

God bless,
                William
                William you might prefer:

How Blind Is the Watchmaker?: Nature's Design & the Limits of Naturalistic Science by Neil Broom

Atheist Delusions: The Christian Revolution and Its Fashionable Enemies by David Bentley Hart

Dawkins' God: From The Selfish Gene to The God Delusion by Alister E. McGrath I give this one five stars.

Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap