Discuss science topics such as creation and evolution and how they relate to Christianity.

Did humans really live for hundreds of years before?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did humans really live for hundreds of years before?

This has long been one of my questions since I was a kid and nobody could give me a concrete and convincing answer. The bible tells a lot of stories with a lot of characters in them. It also accounts for how many sons and daughters each character had and how long they lived. In the old testament, there are a lot of characters who the bible claimed have lived for hundreds of years. Is this really true?

Did people in the past really live for hundreds of years? What was the secret of the people in the past? Did they have a healthier diet?
    Did they have access to the elixir of life?
    Was it because the ozone layer wasn't as messed up as it is now?

Or did they just not have a true measure of time before and the years that they have been talking about is not composed of 365 days?

I honestly don't know whether those ages written in the Bible are accurate or more of an exaggeration. For someone to have lived 150+ years with the sanitation, the medicine, and the lifestyle of ancient times, I honestly don't think it's very realistic (unless with God's direct intervention, of course).
    Comment>

Adam was as a close to perfect as can be. Being the first man, he would have passed on his incredible health to his children, having no genetic defaults.
      Comment>

I think the human body is designed to age and break down within a rough time frame of 120 years. Whilst it may be possible for humans to live much longer than we do currently it's clear that some of the 200+ year ages given for certain biblical figures are exaggerations and/or metaphorical.
        Comment>

It can be a literal exaggeration for sure. To feel that a character in the Bible was really wise and old and smart you usually read that they are more than hundred years old.
          Don't forget about that Bible stories are mostly metaphors and guidelines for your life. Nothing is literal.
          Comment>

Adam and Eve would have lived forever if they hadn't sinned. Compared with this a lifespan of several hundred years is very short. Over time the effects of sin led to additional defects in humans which shortened the life span to what it is today.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Back at the time when Adam lived, there were hardly any diseases, there was absolutely no pollution and before the flood so it's possible that living in such a place that was almost perfect, people could live for hundreds of years. In any case I don't doubt the veracity of the bible. Scripture says they lived hundreds of years and I believe it.
              Comment>

According to the Bible, people lived for centuries. But we haven't found a skeleton that support anyone living as long as the current generation due to our great medical knowledge and technology. The average life span was somewhere between twenty and thirty-six, sorry I can't remember exact numbers, if they lived that long.
                Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
                  According to the Bible, people lived for centuries. But we haven't found a skeleton that support anyone living as long as the current generation due to our great medical knowledge and technology. The average life span was somewhere between twenty and thirty-six, sorry I can't remember exact numbers, if they lived that long.
                  Just curious, where have you looked for the remains of those pre-flood people that were listed in Scripture?
                  Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Just curious, where have you looked for those pre-flood people that were listed in Scripture, those that lived for centuries?
                    What do you mean, looked for? In the Bible, the first couple of books from the Old Testament. But if you mean for the skeletons, there are museums full of skeletons and mummies of people who never saw past their 40th birth day. Some will, but it was rare due to plagues, diseases, and lack of plumbing to get rid of fecal matter.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post

What do you mean, looked for? In the Bible, the first couple of books from the Old Testament. But if you mean for the skeletons, there are museums full of skeletons and mummies of people who never saw past their 40th birth day. Some will, but it was rare due to plagues, diseases, and lack of plumbing to get rid of fecal matter.
                      You said you haven't found any skeletal remains of those pre-flood persons named in Scripture. So I ask, where have you looked? If you haven't maybe that's part of the problem? If not, who else is looking?
                      Comment>

I agree with the ages listed in the Bible that people in ancient times live for up to 800 years. My scientific explanation is the genes as William had said, is free from defects, and the clean atmosphere since there is no pollution yet and no virus or harmful microbes. And the food that they eat are probably clean since they are purely organic. Isn't it a wonder why the herbal supplements are getting popular? Maybe those herbs were part of the staple in the ancient times, another reason for the longevity. And another reason that I can think of is the way of life that we have now against the lifestyle of the long ago. Perhaps they also have less stress and pressure. So it boils down to simple living.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

You said you haven't found any skeletal remains of those pre-flood persons named in Scripture. So I ask, where have you looked? If you haven't maybe that's part of the problem? If not, who else is looking?
                          Archeologist are looking constantly around the world for everything from flora to fauna. If they haven't found it or proof of it, then it probably doesn't exist. I look at the ages at the beginning of the book the way I consider the size of a fish in my Grandpa's stories, it keeps getting bigger every time you hear it. Did you know that Torah, or what is now know as the Torah, was originally a bunch of stories hat were passed down from generation to generation until they were forced to live in Babylon. Because of how appealing the Jews viewed Babylonian culture, they wrote down the first Torah which is the beginning of what we now call a Bible. Which the creation of the Bible is kind of iffy, since half of it is missing.

Isn't it arrogant to ask me where I've looked for skeletons? There are evidence of prehistory creatures from millions of years ago but we haven't found a multi-century old human skeleton that wasn't a fake. I will believe that the beginning of the Bible was literal when there is physical proof of ancient humans. Heck, Abraham was after the flood and he supposedly died at a ripe old age of hundred and seventy-five (Genesis 25:8). And he might have, but that would be rare and I don't believe it without physical proof.
                          Comment>

I'd just like to point out that those people that lived for hundreds of years were the patriarchs. And their names are limited to only a handful of individuals. I think it is arrogant to even suggest that you or "they" have a chance of actually digging up a PRE-FLOOD patriarch. You seem to put much credibility in those stocking museums. By the way, have you seen the museum exhibitions of an ape to man? Just curious, do you believe they are real?
                            Comment>

According to the Bible, Adam and Eve were designed to live forever and never grow old. But, when they fell, they brought death to us all, and that death had to occur before we surpassed the age of a thousand years. This is because to God, a thousand years is as one day and He told them they would die within the day. We don't know precisely how long the two lived in Eden before the fall, which could explain their longevity. Also, the atmosphere was different then, in the pre-flood days, so everything lived longer, grew bigger and was healthier. The oldest man who ever lived, Methuselah, still died before he reached a thousand years. He was 969 years old, I believe. His family tree shows a gradual decline in longevity from that point on, and eventually God declared 120 years to be the perfect lifetime for the average human. His reasons for the decline in age? Not sure, but probably has something to do with the increase in population. If every human being lived 900 years or so, the world would be grossly over-populated.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap