Stockbridge Statements of Faith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stockbridge Statements of Faith

On June 22, 1750, Jonathan Edwards was dismissed from his church. In this episode of 5 Minutes in Church History, Dr. Stephen Nichols tells the fascinating story of what happened next.

More...

Originally posted by Christforums View Post
    On June 22, 1750, Jonathan Edwards was dismissed from his church. In this episode of 5 Minutes in Church History, Dr. Stephen Nichols tells the fascinating story of what happened next.

More...
    Was Edwards dismissed because he taught modalism?
    Comment>

Originally posted by Gerhard Ebersöhn View Post
      Was Edwards dismissed because he taught modalism?
      Hi Gerhard,

From what I have read, both Augustine and Edwards used illustrations of the Trinity, and quite heavily. Augustine acknowledged them to be “inadequate” and was alert to their tendency towards modalism. Edwards, however, did not exercise the same caution. Edwards favored the psychological triad giving little attention to its modalistic dangers.

As to whether this lead to a dismissal, I am unaware, and couldn't find anything on it. All I know is that it is much better simply to reiterate the confessional formulations of the Trinity which have been affirmed by the church down through the centuries.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Re:
        <<<All I know is that it is much better simply to reiterate the confessional formulations of the Trinity which have been affirmed by the church down through the centuries.>>>

I fully agree. I believe they reflect the Scriptures' teaching.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap