Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Schism (1054)

Worth noting two points I think.

1. There actually two very distict Orthodox church groups - 'Eastern Orthodox' and 'Oriental Orthodox'. The latter broke away from the Catholic Church in (I think) the 6th century.

2. (Eastern) Orthodoxy is not really (as they try to pretend) a single body. It consists of 12 autonomous Patriarchies. They don't all recognise each other's baptism (some recognise some). At the recent pan-Orthodox Council four churches refused to attend.

Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post
      Worth noting two points I think.

1. There actually two very distict Orthodox church groups - 'Eastern Orthodox' and 'Oriental Orthodox'. The latter broke away from the Catholic Church in (I think) the 6th century.
      More like kicked out rather than left.

2. (Eastern) Orthodoxy is not really (as they try to pretend) a single body. It consists of 12 autonomous Patriarchies. They don't all recognise each other's baptism (some recognise some). At the recent pan-Orthodox Council four churches refused to attend.
      Eastern Orthodoxy has always been about constant bickering over jurisdictions. Hence the Easter fistfights etc.

Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap