What is the host of heaven ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the host of heaven ?

I have noticed this term used in several places in the Bible, and have always assumed that it referred to the angels; but I thought I would ask and see if people had other possible ideas of who/what "the hosts of heaven" might refer to.
    Here is one example of a verse where it is used.
    1Ki 22:19 And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left.

In the verse you quoted it refers to angels but in many places it refers to the stars. Here is one example of the latter meaning:
    And they shall be spread before the sun and the moon and all the host of heaven, which they have loved and served, which they have gone after, and which they have sought and worshiped. And they shall not be gathered or buried. They shall be as dung on the surface of the ground.
    (Jeremiah 8:2 ESV)
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Exactly ! ! I have been reading some of those verses, as well, and wondering what the connection is. Some people interpret that to mean that the stars are actually angels, and there are indeed some verses that seem to support this.
      For example, in Revelation,it says that a star fell from heaven, and he was given the key to the bottomless pit. In this case, star obviously refers to an angelic being.
      Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
      The book of Job refers to the Morning Stars singing together, so those stars are also living creatures, and in this instance would be part of the host of heaven, most probably.

Sometimes, the verse seems to mean angels and sometimes, it seems to mean stars. Since we know that God is always consistant, and the Bible plainly calls the star an angel (or some kind of person with a gender, as opposed to an object); it could be that stars actually are a kind of angel.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
        Exactly ! ! I have been reading some of those verses, as well, and wondering what the connection is. Some people interpret that to mean that the stars are actually angels, and there are indeed some verses that seem to support this.
        For example, in Revelation,it says that a star fell from heaven, and he was given the key to the bottomless pit. In this case, star obviously refers to an angelic being.
        Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
        The book of Job refers to the Morning Stars singing together, so those stars are also living creatures, and in this instance would be part of the host of heaven, most probably.

Sometimes, the verse seems to mean angels and sometimes, it seems to mean stars. Since we know that God is always consistant, and the Bible plainly calls the star an angel (or some kind of person with a gender, as opposed to an object); it could be that stars actually are a kind of angel.
        I think the principal is the same concerning stars or angels, both are light emitting, revealing and guiding, however, both are created/creatures and not the Creator. For example, Theo pointed out a curse, because they worshiped the heavenly bodies 2 Kings 21:3-5.

It may also interest some that sometimes an object can be used to ascribe different concepts. For example, Jesus is compared to a Lion, and so is Lucifer/Satan. Just because Jesus is compared to a Lion (because He is King) does not mean that we can expect to find Jesus on an African plain munching on a carcass in high grass, while looking to "devour" people as Satan does, because they both share the literal object of a Lion. Matter of fact the Morning Star is used to share and ascribe different concepts to both Jesus and Lucifer. For example, Isaiah 14:12–18 describes the fall from heaven of one called “Lucifer,” a name that means “morning star,” “son of the dawn,” “Day Star,” or “shining star.” Lucifer was probably the most beautiful angel outshining the rest of the heavenly hosts, while Jesus referred to Himself Revelation 22:16 as THE most holy and powerful light in the universe. Borrowing from the imagery of both stars and angels, and conveying a message behind the angel's light emitting ability, Satan can appear as an angel of light, that is, he can imitate Christ Jesus. Although, sharing the same object does not necessarily convey a comparison, and equate Jesus to Lucifer/Satan, or over literalistically suggest that Jesus is an actual star, lion, etc.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

The reference could also be other spirit creatures that aren't confined to earth as Satan and his angels are. Since the holy angels who are in heaven with God don't sin, I expect that this verse [Isaiah 24:21] refers to other spirit creatures, "So it will happen in that day, That the LORD will punish the host of heaven on high, And the kings of the earth on earth. 22They will be gathered together Like prisoners in the dungeon, And will be confined in prison . . . "
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap